Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016/2017 Awards Season

I was hoping you'd do it. Here you go, film awards and nominations only.

Critics' Choice Awards

Golden Globe Nominations

Thoughts later.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Is Portman now a lock? She's getting a lot of good critics and now awards for best actress. I thought this would be the year for Adams or Bening.

I think it's too early to call it a lock. I'd say the men are probably a lock, but not the women.

Barack Hussein Obama

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    No one will be a lock in Best Actress until that envelope is open, I feel. I said before at the start of the awards season I didn't think there would be a competitive race in Best Actress because Emma Stone was the lock. But now... it is the most exciting, competitive race.

There are a couple things of note for me: When Jackie won Actress and two other tech awards and Best Costume, I thought it might have some momentum for Best Picture. Now, with the GG's out (a different group of critics) I don't think it is going to get in the Best Picture race.

Weird things with the Globes: No best pic for Arrival, Loving or Sully? And no Best Actor for Tom Hanks Sully or Joel Edgerton Loving. Octavia Spencer gets a GG nomination for Hidden Figures when I thought Taraji would get in if any of them did. LOVE that The Lobster got a nomination for Colin Farrell. And lastly, I really need to consider LION as a contender. I haven't thought much of that picture and as of now I still don't understand why it is consistently being nominated. I'll just have to see it to understand why.

Ok, I'm trying not to be so long winded right yet. Especially since we have one more day til SAGs come out and that will give me much more feeling for the way things are going to shuffle and fall for the Oscar noms.

NOW, I usually only ask boardmates to list the Oscar Best Picture films they've seen. But I was hoping we could list any of the Best Picture nominees at the Globes you've seen already and rank them (if you've seen them already, or come back in here after you see another nominated film).

Thank you so much Steve for posting the nominations:
    (and they are)
    Best Motion Picture – Drama:

“Hacksaw Ridge”
    “Hell or High Water”
    “Lion”
    “Manchester by the Sea”
    “Moonlight”

Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy:
    “20th Century Women”
    “Deadpool”
    “La La Land”
    “Florence Foster Jenkins”
    “Sing Street”

Out of the 10 films all I've seen are Deadpool, Hacksaw Ridge and Hell or High Water.

I rank them

Hell or High Water
    Hacksaw Ridge
    Deadpool
    ..... for now. You could rank them within one of the two categories or all together. I think I will do both. But I've only seen 3 of those films for now.
    Last edited by Volta; 12-13-2016 at 01:46 PM.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log done had a child!"

SAG Award Nominations:
    Best Ensemble:
    -Captain Fantastic (Really? wow)
    -Fences
    -Hidden Figures (Not as big a surprise as you may think because at the SAG Screening it got a standing ovation)
    -Manchester By The Sea
    -Moonlight (its's like Manchester and Moonlight are tied at the hip)
    Weird that La La Land didn't get in here. I think it's telling!! A great bit of info into a possible upset in Best Actress for Portman

Best Actress
    -Amy Adams (a lock)
    -Emily Blunt (WOW - she won't get in.. but who will? Hupert? Bening? Negga?)
    -Natalie Portman (a lock)
    -Emma Stone (a lock)
    -Meryl Streep (I think a lock, now)

Best Actor
    -Casey Affleck (his to win)
    -Andrew Garfield (a lock)
    -Ryan Gosling (no momentum but probably will get in the AAs)
    -Viggo Mortensen (not looking good for Joel Edgerton)
    -Denzel Washington (has never won a SAG)

Best Supp Actress
    -Viola Davis (WINNER)
    -Naomi Harris (a lock)
    -Nicole Kidman (a lock)
    -Octavia Spencer
    -Michelle Williams (2nd place)

Best Supp Actor
    -Ali (Winner)
    -Bridges (a lock)
    -Grant (not certain he is a lock, although he is campaigning)
    -Hedges (most likely)
    -Patel (hmm)
    Last edited by Volta; 12-15-2016 at 04:38 AM.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick and I was like, "That log done had a child!"

I wouldn't say either Amy or Meryl is a lock. It could easily be Stone, Portman, Huppert, Bening, Negga. I'd say those seven are fighting for the five slots.

I'm so glad for Emily! One of the best performances as an alcoholic that I've ever seen. She won't get an Oscar nod, but she deserves to go to at least one awards show. Same for Jessica Chastain at the Globes. There's just a surfeit of great female lead performances.

What's going on for Captain Fantastic? It sounded like crap to me, and it was a few months ago. Oh, well, it's definitely in the race now. I agree on the rest of the non-ensemble lists.

Maybe La La Land didn't get in ensemble because they've sold it so specifically on Ryan and Emma. I would say that, right now, Moonlight has the edge there. It truly is a great ensemble of mostly unknown actors.

Barack Hussein Obama

I figured the overall love for this film would get it nominated by actors.
    There is a tradition of getting an ensemble nomination even if it's a 2 person or 1 person show like last year with Beasts of No Nation. It was really just the one actor and the two kids. Hustle and Flow was another example of a two person movie that's gotten in before. And it happens a lot more on the TV side.
    BUT, yea, I could see people/actors seeing this as just Ryan and Emma's movie.

I predict Meryl gets in. I think it might get a Best Picture nod because of all the categories it could get in with makeup, costume, score... it's starting to surge again.

True, it is making a comeback. We'll see how it does at the Globes.

Barack Hussein Obama

Moonlight FTW! I work a the performing arts school that Tarell graduated from where he started playwright; he's very loyal to our school, comes every year to talk to the kids, and in fact, he cast some former and current students for the role. I taught "Travis" and one of the boys in the Junior High scenes. We are all brimming with pride. It's a wonderful film worthy of all the accolades. Naomi Harris' performance alone is AMAZING!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Banjee View Post
    Moonlight FTW! I work a the performing arts school that Tarell graduated from where he started playwright; he's very loyal to our school, comes every year to talk to the kids, and in fact, he cast some former and current students for the role. I taught "Travis" and one of the boys in the Junior High scenes. We are all brimming with pride. It's a wonderful film worthy of all the accolades. Naomi Harris' performance alone is AMAZING!!!!
    this is a lovely thing to read, it's on my must see as well, but hard to get to see it in Sweden. Will see if can find a showing in the UK somewhere

Manchester by The Sea is going to be a force to be reckoned with. It's one of these movies that will really appeal to the steak-eating (as gold derby calls them) members of the academy.

Of the 10 Golden Globe Best Pictures I've seen these and ranked them from my fav to least:

Manchester by the Sea
    Florence Foster Jenkins
    Hell or High Water
    Hacksaw Ridge
    Deadpool

So.. I've seen half of them.

GG Alert: Best Supporting Actor: Aaron Taylor Johnson for Nocturnal Animals

WHAT? I didn't see that one coming!! GoldDerby is probably having a heart attack. I think they had him in 5th place to win it.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    This is making me aware how behind I am in my movies. I haven't even heard of that guy who just won.

I am FURIOUS that they are normalizing Mel Gibson though, so consider this my warning that rants are going to be coming later from me.

^Nocturnal Animals winning anything tonight has me flabbergasted.
    I thought Dev Patel was going to win it.