Page 230 of 230 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230
Results 3,436 to 3,447 of 3447

Thread: How Low Can We Go? The President Donald Trump Thread, I guess. :(

McCain on the bill: "(I couldn't) support it without knowing how much it will cost, how it will effect insurance premiums, and how many people will be helped or hurt by it.”

Sounds pretty definitive to me.

And, the word of the month is: DOTARD.

*Context is everything.
    Last edited by Rum 509; Yesterday at 12:26 AM. Reason: Misleading video

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Question for anyone in the know- The GOP can't pass healthcare reform through reconciliation (simple majority) after 9/30....But there is all this talk of "tax reform" trying to be enacted and it seems like they would need to use budget reconciliation in order to pass that as well. Do they lose the ability to pass tax reform with a simple majority after 9/30? I'm confused because on all accounts the GOP says later this year they'll tackle tax reform.

Also-

Last edited by .chris; 09-22-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    I think this kills it, and I couldn't be happier. That bill is so shitty. People have taken to calling it "Repeal and Go Fuck Yourself".

Oh, and hooray for Jimmy Kimmel. He's already tweeted thanks to McCain.
    I have and am wearing that t-shirt today. I'm confused too about what happens next. I know after Sept. 30 they can't pass it with a simple majority, but have no idea how long that lasts. I assume it will also be much harder to push through in 2018, when many of them are up for re-election.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMMY View Post
    I have and am wearing that t-shirt today. I'm confused too about what happens next. I know after Sept. 30 they can't pass it with a simple majority, but have no idea how long that lasts. I assume it will also be much harder to push through in 2018, when many of them are up for re-election.
    I BELIEVE this can only pass with 50 right now as a reconciliation with the measure the House passed. As that expires in 8 days, it's dead without 60. So the House COULD pass it again next year, but I think they were playing chicken with the Senate... or hot potato. Other than the real Ryan-esque crazies, no one really wants it gone. They did it to appease their donors and dumb base constituents. So if they know that if they pass something and the Senate might actually act on it? I don't know if it'd pass next time.

Healthcare-woke Jimmy Kimmel is best Jimmy Kimmel.

I'm rewatching John Adams and he just called himself a dotard and I almost peed myself. It's such a weirdly relevant movie. I think of how pissed off that cranky old bastard would be with our current situation a lot.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Here's a nice explainer about budget reconciliation, healthcare repeal, and tax reform: Tax Reform Won't Happen Without A Budget Resolution. So if they can't pass a budget, they can't pass tax reform.

Today in Things We already Knew Months Ago:

so far the list of states that acknowledged they were one of the 21 states hacked are:

1 Alabama
    2 Alaska
    3 Arizona
    4 California
    5 Colorado
    6 Connecticut
    7 Delaware
    8 Illinois
    9 Iowa
    10 Maryland
    11 Minnesota
    12 Oklahoma
    13 Oregon
    14 Washington

seven more yet to be identified. I'd expect Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin and Florida to be among them.
    I wonder why they bothered with California, being that it is solidly blue. Maybe just to see if they could influence the outcome in a large blue state?

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Oklahoma makes zero sense as they are solidly red. Also, could you link that list?
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

It really has nothing to do with red vs. blue, though. They are trying to fracture our political infrastructure. They’re going to take a multifaceted approach to that. Washington, California, and Oklahoma seem like odd places to target, but that might not be so when it trickles down to state and local elections. Looking for vulnerabilities in the system, at every level and in every state, seems likely.

Also, this:

Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    Oklahoma makes zero sense as they are solidly red. Also, could you link that list?
    sure, it's the Chicago Tribune 3rd paragraph down

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Thanks SMMY!
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Saturday mornings are supposed to be quiet.