Page 341 of 345 FirstFirst ... 241291331339340341342343 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,115 of 5163

Thread: How Low Can We Go? The President Donald Trump Thread, I guess. :(

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I'm fresh out of fucks to give

If we survive this administration, I hope all these rich white people in jail will finally bring about the prison reform we desperately need.

It's refreshing when people stop pretending

The Times finally gets to the bottom of Trump supporters: It turns out they're garbage human beings

It is meant to be flattering, or at least neutral, but the short version is that the people who have been bleating about "family values" for the last half-century do not actually give a flying damn about family values and never did. It was all garbage from the get-go. While people from "college" or "in New York" or "religiously conservative" or "liberal" or take-your pick all had harsh words for the crooked, lying, adulterous, misogynist trash-heap of a human being, the salt-of-the-earth Trump supporters back in Nebraska could not possibly care less about the bullshit-laden values attributed to them in fawning tributes to the heartland's common clay.

To hell with it all: Go team adulter-crook!

When you grow up in Nebraska, you are apparently expected to bleat about family values and the corruption of the elites, to be sure—but, socioeconomically speaking, it is apparently all a ruse meant for the children and whatever gullible reporters wander through town. In reality, when it comes to the churches and the voting booths, you can be as adulterous as you want, cheat your neighbor eagerly and gleefully, lie to everyone about everything and—if you are in the right tribe, and only if you are in the right tribe—it is expected.

We're not supposed to say it, but that is what the sociological modal boils down to. I think all of us have ample experience with these sorts of human beings, and it is not necessarily political. I believe I have pointed out multiple times that in my own experiences, for example, if any business owner mentions Jesus within the first 10 minutes of meeting you you can be absolutely, 100 percent assured they are out to scam you, good and hard, which is an interesting metric of what so-called Christianity has been reduced to in many subsets of the American psyche. But in general, journalists and other neutral observers are not supposed to notice that wide swaths of society are, in fact, Not Good People. Even if there are entire churches or towns filled with them.

Plainly put: These are the hallmarks of terrible human beings. People who you would not trust with your children. People you would go out of your way to avoid, if you did care about honesty or family values. These are the people who press their mistresses for abortions but who also are not vexed by abortion-providing doctors being murdered in their Kansas churches; they are confederate flag-wavers in Union states, miffed that new civil rights laws a half century ago slighted their own ne’er-do-well families in some never-quite-describable way; these are people who are so obsessed with the thought that someone better is looking down on them that they are willing to punch whatever kittens need punching in order to prove they're at least better at kitten-punching than the rest of you. The opioid epidemic is centered in Trump-supporting counties. The demand that brown-looking children be placed in detention camps for fear that a terrified 8-year-old might be a hardened gang leader is a phenomenon of Trump-Supporting counties. The insistence that Treason Might Be Good Now is peddled by Fox News celebrities to die-hard Trump supporters who will repeat and retweet it willing and eagerly; it was Trump supporters, Jesus-punchers every one, who gave Alabama crapsack Roy Moore their votes even after his exposure as a child molester—complete with Bible citations from “conservative” pastors arguing that Roy Moore trolling the malls for a child bride was, in fact, in fine Old Testament tradition.

There is an obsessive need, in our journalistic culture, to explain bad behavior away. Donald Trump is not an amoral cesspool of lies, he is merely engaging in a particular brand of political rhetoric that seeks to persuade via the creative denial of the world everyone else can see with their own two eyes—and it's not for we keepers of the truth to judge. Donald Trump's supporters are not themselves dismal human beings who have open contempt for anyone not in their own small tribe, people who are forever obsessed with harming every other tribe in every other way, regardless of how it is done or how many family values rules need to be broken to do it, but are waving their little rebel flags and demanding child internment camps because their economic anxiety has gotten their stomachs all a-knotted of late.

But the acts speak for themselves. Trump's supporters do not care about his values, his lies, the means by which he achieves his ends, or whether or not he burns the Constitution in a barbecue pit so long as he can make them feel better about their own lot in life. This is not our construction, but their own; you need not look very far in any interview to find it. They are not good people. They are not good Americans, and their so-called morals are reptilian at best. We are allowed to say it.

The more we hear from Trump defenders, the more transparent it is that they are indeed, well, bad. It's terribly rude to say, and the press cannot say it, but the rest of us can. If you still support Trump at this late date, you are a terrible human being. You should, in fact, feel bad about yourself.

Yes, the rest of us do indeed look down on these people. Those of us with actual family values do; those of us who care about honesty in government do; those of us who are not furious bulging-eyed racists do; those of us who believe thousands of years of scientific discoveries are worth more than the dribbling pronouncements of a street-corner charlatan do; those of us with actual religious convictions do; those of us who are actual patriots do.

And we're not sorry. Get your act together, you losers. You voted for a two-bit conman you saw on a television show, and you did it because you either didn't care, didn’t pay attention, or because you wanted to be conned good and hard. But that was then, this is now, and you are allowed to change your mind and remember all the things you supposedly believed in before this glowing orange lunatic arrived on the scene to Make Sleaze Great Again.

You want to be respected, then do something worthy of respect. It’s as simple as that.

People shouldn't always be held accountable for their spouses, but when they are this bad and the position is significant AND the person him/herself has an already questionable history, you can't just ignore it.

(Bill Shine is taking over WH communications. He was at FOX previously, hiding Ailes' crimes.)

This will ruin your Sunday

The chill of detention: Migrants describe their experiences in US custody

Children are confined to windowless rooms in metal enclosures that some call kennels.

Parents agonize for information about sons and daughters taken from their arms at the southwestern border.

Adults and children are held in prison-like conditions, with unsanitary bathrooms, lockdowns and solitary confinement.

Immigration officers mock their accents. They're told they will never see their children again. At least one migrant was called filthy but denied access to showers.

An immigration officer told detainees that being separated from their children was "the price to pay for crossing the border," Batres said.

"We do this so that when you return to your countries you do not return, and so you tell your relatives not to come because we will take your children from you," the officer told the migrants, according to court documents.

"G described this place as awful," the court document said. "It was a room with no windows divided in three by wire fencing that made them look like three cages. 20 girls were detained in each cage. The place was freezing because they kept the air conditioner on all the time, and each child was given a mat and an aluminum blanket to keep themselves warm."

The girls positioned their floor mats close together to make room for others. A swift kick to the mats by guards shook them out of their slumber for the daily 4 a.m. cell counts. The youngest girls were about 3. One crying 4-year-old sought comfort from a female guard, who quickly turned her away.

The 15-year-old recalled being hungry most of the time.

"In the dog kennel, ICE (agents) mocked our accents," she said. The agents "took away our jackets in the cold to wake us up, and they threw out our food before we were finished eating."
    Monroy-Guerra recalled one of her first encounters with immigration agents.
    One said, "We don't want you in our country," according to court documents.
    Another asked, "Don't you know that we hate you people?"

As predicted the immigration detention center stories continue to get worse. This shouldn’t be America in 2018.

It doesn't make it MORALLY worse if it happens to a citizen or an immigrant, but holy fuck this is bad.

Border officials may have taken child of US citizen into custody

U.S. officials at the southern border may have taken a child of a U.S. citizen into custody, administration lawyers revealed Tuesday.

In a court filing to give an update on efforts to reunite families, lawyers for the Department of Justice (DOJ) said the administration is unable to determine if the child was separated from the parent, and the government hasn’t been able to locate the parent for more than a year.

The child is under the age of 5, according to the filing. Officials did not give any other details about the child or the parent's potential whereabouts.

One child “cannot be reunified at this time because the parent’s location has been unknown for more than a year,” the filing said. “Defendants are unable to conclusively determine whether the parent is a class member, and records show the parent and child might be U.S. citizens.”
    I just read an interesting point someone made that *might* be something that *in theory* could get congressional republicans upset. It's clear that Russia was helping to some unconfirmed extent and success (of their actions, not the actual result) to get Trump elected in the general... What if they put their fingers successfully on the scales of the PRIMARIES? I know they're kind of ride or die now, but would just a couple of them change their minds or voting or support?

“Stop being so dramatic, Trump isn’t a dictator.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    “Stop being so dramatic, Trump isn’t a dictator.”

nsfw

Ya'll. I'm so worried. Like "wtf my family and I should leave".

I looked at Ireland last year but didn't get too far. My husband is interviewing with Mercedes Benz Innovation lab and the other one is in Germany.

Seriously - how do you emigrate? Do I just abandon my career and tend bar? Do we just sell everything we own and live cheap in Mexico? I don't even know where to start. We're looking to move but now I think we should just sell and abandon ship.

Should we start an "should we emigrate" thread??
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

No Canada? No language barrier, better healthcare, similar enough culture, you can probably both find jobs in whatever fields you work in. And not too far to come back once the orange goblin is in prison.

Yeah, I'd do Canada. Any hints?? Are they hiring??
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

Canada is HUGE, even if 90% of the population is within like 100 miles of the US border. Where to go in Canada itself? I'm leaning towards Toronto because it's the most southern, right? But does it get hellacious lake-effect snow cancelling out the southern-ness?

Also? I don't want to learn metric. That shit's hard. Not the conversions within metric, but imperial is just so familiar and I can grasp the subtleties innately without having to be like "ok, so one meter is about one yard..." And really fuck celcius. Farhenheit is so much more relevant to normal people living daily lives. 0 is really fucking cold but you won't die immediately and 100 is really fucking hot and you won't die immediately.

I was grappling with this question too and this is a great answer from Ashley Nicole Black from Full Frontal

In times such as these, how can I stop feeling so guilty for simply living my life?

Dear Ashley,
    I am an activist, both in my work and my personal political life. I engage anyone who will listen on the issues most critical today: the deplorable anti-immigration policies of the Trump administration; the very real threat of women losing essential health care and bodily autonomy; everyday racism, sexism, ageism, and bigotry. I attend marches and rallies. I call my representatives. I galvanize everyone I know to vote. I try to do at least this much because I know it’s necessary.

And yet, I feel tremendously guilty whenever I take a break to simply live my life. While I am fighting for every one of us to enjoy basic freedoms, I feel like a shitty human when I take the time to take a nap, contemplate getting a manicure, or post Instagram photos of my beloved dogs. Like, how dare I enjoy such things when babies are in cages?

I’m so glad you wrote in because FUCK THIS SHIT. Fucking fuck it right off to Fuck Town. Seriously. Stop this right now. I demand it.

Guess what? Those people you are fighting against every day, the ones who hate immigrants, and don’t want women to be able to make their own health-care choices, the racists and sexists and ageists and bigots, guess what those people want most of all? They want you, and people like you, and the people you are fighting for, to be miserable. If you forget how to enjoy your life, you are helping them win. Self- care is a revolutionary act, particularly for marginalized people. Get that pedicure because you deserve feet that don’t snag your sheets! The bad guys want you to have nasty feet! If you’re going to be out there marching against their bullshit all damn day, AT LEAST HAVE NICE FEET, DAMN IT. And then post those pretty ass toes on Instagram, because you are a human being and you deserve to be able to share your full humanity with people.

As far as finding a balance, I think that if you, dear writer, are both a professional activist AND do activism in your personal time, you are in very little danger of accidentally turning into a lazy layabout if you take one wine bath. For other readers, who maybe aren’t doing as much activism, don’t say, “Ashley said getting a pedicure is activism.” First, you do the activism, then you give yourself a break from it. It’s not a break if you aren’t working. At the very least use that service that lets you text your congressperson while you’re sitting in the pedicure chair.

But seriously, everyone deserves nice toes.

I don't think Fahrenheit vs Celsius is about relevance, it's just being used to it since childhood or not. 0 freezes water, 100 boils it. Below 0 is really cold outside, above 30 is really hot, above 40 is please just kill me now hot. Not that weird.

(Also, I really hate that American baking recipes are in cups and one cup of one thing does not weigh the same as one cup of another thing, so I need to google a long conversion list and not every list gives the same number in grams for the same ingredient so which one do I use to convert this fucking cake recipe..... In short, I've never baked anything from an American website. Grams + kitchen scale = easy. )
    Last edited by fluteoftheloon; 07-11-2018 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fluteoftheloon View Post
    I don't think Fahrenheit vs Celsius is about relevance, it's just being used to it since childhood or not. 0 freezes water, 100 boils it. Below 0 is really cold outside, above 30 is really hot, above 40 is please just kill me now hot. Not that weird.

(Also, I really hate that American baking recipes are in cups and one cup of one thing does not weigh the same as one cup of another thing, so I need to google a long conversion list and not every list gives the same number in grams for the same ingredient so which one do I use to convert this fucking cake recipe..... In short, I've never baked anything from an American website. Grams + kitchen scale = easy. )
    Fahrenheit degrees are smaller than Celsius so you can get more specific. If you have a weather forecast of 2-3 degrees difference in C, that's like 6-8+ difference in F and makes a huge difference in like shorts vs pants or do I need to bring a jacket kinds of things. Plus we americans like things big. Our 90 degree day sounds so much more impressive than your 30-something degree day. USA! USA! USA!

A lot of professional american bakers use metric in cooking... at least outside of oven temps. I bake a lot and I'm generally successful with cups and tsp and no scales, but I can totally see the need under certain circumstances. I prefer just to scoop and go. Now, if I could only stop myself from occasionally using baking powder instead of soda/vice versa from time to time...

It's hard to change because we envision things by what we know. Having soda come in 2-liter bottles was a great start because now I can picture a liter and compare it to a gallon, but if I had to guess how many grams of flour to use to make cookies, I'd be laughably wrong. I know what a cup looks like, however. I know 10 kilos is a lot of cocaine when the DEA makes a bust, but I have no idea if that's like... a lot of weight for a person to gain?

But I guess despite measurement differences, Canada would be the easiest to adapt to. Same language (except quebec and slang), similar culture, same white people conquering a few hundred years ago.

They're investigating that FBI guy who texted how terrible Trump was today. It's not going well.

Can no one in this administration sit him down and make him watch one of the hundreds of WWII movies and explain to him why NATO is important?

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Also? I don't want to learn metric. That shit's hard. Not the conversions within metric, but imperial is just so familiar and I can grasp the subtleties innately without having to be like "ok, so one meter is about one yard..." And really fuck celcius. Farhenheit is so much more relevant to normal people living daily lives. 0 is really fucking cold but you won't die immediately and 100 is really fucking hot and you won't die immediately.
    Pretty much that. I hate filling up gas in Canada because between the currency conversion and the fact they use litres instead of gallons, I have fuck all of a clue how much gas I actually need or how much I'm going to be spending to get it. I'm not too huge on Celsius either, but I actually can get behind using km for driving/speed limits. It sounds so much more impressive to be driving 120 km/hr than 75mph haha.

These Strozk hearings are bananas. Most comedy late night shows seem to be on hiatus this week and maybe next week too, so you might have to watch unintentional humor on the regular news. I highly recommend watching/reading some highlights.

We as a nation are a total fucking embarrassment