Page 156 of 228 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166206 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 3419

Thread: How Low Can We Go? The President Donald Trump Thread, I guess. :(

As much as I want to believe the things posted by Mensch and Taylor, I don't want to end up being the liberal equivalent of an infowars zealot. Taylor and Mensch aren't professional journalists. They aren't bound by the ethics and methods of journalism. Sometimes they're right, but especially in Mensch's case, she is often wrong. The 1 out 10 times she is correct, she posts about it so much, that people forget her numerous previous mistakes. I think it's human nature to want to believe someone, especially when they are saying what you want to hear. Taylor, I give a little more credence to because he is slightly more measured in what he says and seems to have an actual consistent source. Mensch, I regard as a loose cannon, claiming that anyone who questions her is a Kremlin spy. Just completely bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by SMMY View Post
    As much as I want to believe the things posted by Mensch and Taylor, I don't want to end up being the liberal equivalent of an infowars zealot. Taylor and Mensch aren't professional journalists. They aren't bound by the ethics and methods of journalism. Sometimes they're right, but especially in Mensch's case, she is often wrong. The 1 out 10 times she is correct, she posts about it so much, that people forget her numerous previous mistakes. I think it's human nature to want to believe someone, especially when they are saying what you want to hear. Taylor, I give a little more credence to because he is slightly more measured in what he says and seems to have an actual consistent source. Mensch, I regard as a loose cannon, claiming that anyone who questions her is a Kremlin spy. Just completely bonkers.
    This, 100%. I saw Mensch on Maher a while ago and she came across as measured and informed. After following her on Twitter, however, I realized I'd made a terrible mistake. She seems to get it right only when she throws 100 other theories against the wall, so one of them is bound to stick. I don't doubt she has a few reliable sources, and she was definitely right about putting faith in Comey regarding this mess, but I'm reserving my reactions for WaPo, NYT, etc.

I think the thing with Mensch is she has a source or two, and then in between news from them she fills out her day playing amateur internet sleuth and has no idea what she's looking at or talking about. It all becomes noise. If she only reported what she heard from IC sources she'd probably come off a lot less unhinged, but she obviously can't help herself.

Claude can be sensational, but as SMMY pointed out he's not a journalist. He's providing us with raw intel which hasn't been vetted or sorted through. Some of it pans out eventually and some of it doesn't. But I do think he's a lot more informed than some seem to think he is. Usually if he and John Schindler (20committee) corroborate something it's a pretty solid bet.

I was also following Jester Actual but his conservative side shown through today when he started making transphobic comments about Chelsea Manning. That's the shitty part about finding conservative allies in the fight against Trump -- chances are they're not allies in most other areas of politics.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Robert Mueller is the Special Counsel?!?
    Feck Yes!

I don't expect Mueller to finish his investigation this year since he's just getting appointed now. But he'll do a good job.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Can you imagine Michael Flynn calling to make reservations at a 5-star restaurant? They'd spit in his food for sure!
    His whole country thinks he's a spy. Must be a rough day-to-day, hour-by-hour existence. Unless he's just one of those people that is oblivious and surrounds himself by a community that thinks he's untouchable or something.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

The Empire Strike Back! *

*and by that, I mean the idiots in the West Wing are going to again shoot themselves in the face.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMMY View Post
    The Empire Strike Back! *

*and by that, I mean the idiots in the West Wing are going to again shoot themselves in the face.
    Oh man.

The administration’s approach in this instance is a “bag of crazy cats,” the source with knowledge of the meeting said.

I would also like to highly recommend FP's Editor's Roundtable podcast. It's very informative and often hilarious.

looking for a little hope just owls's Avatar

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar

AMAZING!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Sometime in the future:

Trump: "I should be on money."
    Personal artist: "Yes sir, I'll make a draft."

He's doing a Watergate speed run

Quote Originally Posted by beanstew View Post

AMAZING!
    How much do you wanna bet that the cartoonist who did this would call you on your inability to understand irony?

This whole Wittes piece on Comey is a thing of beauty beyond the "hide in the curtains/Milford man" aspect of it that starts it out.

This was the guy who wrote "tick tick tick" yesterday and then dropped this:

What James Comey Told Me About Donald Trump

Schmidt had reported that Trump requested that Comey commit to personal loyalty to the President, and that Comey declined, telling the President that he would always have Comey’s “honesty.” When I read Schmidt’s account, I immediately understood certain things Comey had said to me over the previous few months in a different, and frankly more menacing, light. While I am not in the habit of discussing with reporters my confidential communications with friends, I decided that the things Comey had told me needed to be made public.

What I do know is that Comey spent a great deal of energy doing what he alternately described as “training” the White House that officials had to go through the Justice Department and “reestablishing” normal hands-off White House-Bureau relations.

I do know this: Comey understood Trump’s people as having neither knowledge of nor respect for the independence of the law enforcement function. And he saw it as an ongoing task on his part to protect the rest of the Bureau from improper contacts and interferences from a group of people he did not regard as honorable. This was a general preoccupation of Comey’s in the months he and Trump overlapped—and the difference between this relationship and his regard for Obama (which was deep) was profound and palpable.

Second, Comey described at least two incidents which he regarded as efforts on the part of the President personally to compromise him or implicate him with either shows of closeness or actual chumminess with the President.

Again, look at the video, and you’ll see Comey preemptively reaching out to shake hands. Trump grabs his hand and attempts an embrace. The embrace, however, is entirely one sided.

Comey was disgusted. He regarded the episode as a physical attempt to show closeness and warmth in a fashion calculated to compromise him before Democrats who already mistrusted him.

But he did tell me in general terms that early on, Trump had “asked for loyalty” and that Comey had promised him only honesty. He also told me that Trump was perceptibly uncomfortable with this answer. And he said that ever since, the President had been trying to be chummy in a fashion that Comey felt was designed to absorb him into Trump’s world—to make him part of the team. Comey was deeply uncomfortable with these episodes. He told me that Trump sometimes talked to him a fashion designed to implicate him in Trump’s way of thinking. While I was not sure quite what this meant, it clearly disquieted Comey. He felt that these conversations were efforts to probe how resistant he would be to becoming a loyalist. In light of the dramatic dinner meeting and the Flynn request, it’s easy to see why they would be upsetting and feel like attempts at pressure.

He said repeatedly that it was going to be a very long few years. And he joked that the hashtag I use on Twitter—#NotesFromUnderTrump, which identifies the particular day of the Trump presidency—was ticking very slowly.

He said one other thing that day that, in retrospect, stands out in my memory: he expressed wariness about the then-still-unconfirmed deputy attorney general nominee, Rod Rosenstein. This surprised me because I had always thought well of Rosenstein and had mentioned his impending confirmation as a good thing. But Comey did not seem enthusiastic. The DOJ does need Senate-confirmed leadership, he agreed, noting that Dana Boente had done a fine job as acting deputy but that having confirmed people to make important decisions was critical. And he agreed with me that Rosenstein had a good reputation as a solid career guy.

That said, his reservations were palpable. “Rod is a survivor,” he said. And you don’t get to survive that long across administrations without making compromises. “So I have concerns.”

In retrospect, I think I know what Comey must have been thinking at that moment. He had been asked to pledge loyalty by Trump. When he had declined, and even before, he had seen repeated efforts to—from his point of view—undermine his independence and probe the FBI’s defenses against political interference. He had been asked to drop an investigation. He had spent the last few months working to defend the normative lines that protect the FBI from the White House. And he had felt the need personally to make clear to the President that there were questions he couldn't ask about investigative matters. So he was asking himself, I suspect: What loyalty oath had Rosenstein been asked to swear, and what happened at whatever dinner that request took place?

And I think they also sketch a trajectory in which Trump kept Comey on board only as long as it took him to figure out that there was no way to make Comey part of the team. Once he realized that he couldn’t do that—and that the Russia matter was thus not going away—he pulled the trigger.

I think we should change this thread title to Donald Trump Impeachment Watch