Page 145 of 336 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195245 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 5031

Thread: How Low Can We Go? The President Donald Trump Thread, I guess. :(

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar

AMAZING!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Sometime in the future:

Trump: "I should be on money."
    Personal artist: "Yes sir, I'll make a draft."

He's doing a Watergate speed run

Quote Originally Posted by beanstew View Post

AMAZING!
    How much do you wanna bet that the cartoonist who did this would call you on your inability to understand irony?

This whole Wittes piece on Comey is a thing of beauty beyond the "hide in the curtains/Milford man" aspect of it that starts it out.

This was the guy who wrote "tick tick tick" yesterday and then dropped this:

What James Comey Told Me About Donald Trump

Schmidt had reported that Trump requested that Comey commit to personal loyalty to the President, and that Comey declined, telling the President that he would always have Comey’s “honesty.” When I read Schmidt’s account, I immediately understood certain things Comey had said to me over the previous few months in a different, and frankly more menacing, light. While I am not in the habit of discussing with reporters my confidential communications with friends, I decided that the things Comey had told me needed to be made public.

What I do know is that Comey spent a great deal of energy doing what he alternately described as “training” the White House that officials had to go through the Justice Department and “reestablishing” normal hands-off White House-Bureau relations.

I do know this: Comey understood Trump’s people as having neither knowledge of nor respect for the independence of the law enforcement function. And he saw it as an ongoing task on his part to protect the rest of the Bureau from improper contacts and interferences from a group of people he did not regard as honorable. This was a general preoccupation of Comey’s in the months he and Trump overlapped—and the difference between this relationship and his regard for Obama (which was deep) was profound and palpable.

Second, Comey described at least two incidents which he regarded as efforts on the part of the President personally to compromise him or implicate him with either shows of closeness or actual chumminess with the President.

Again, look at the video, and you’ll see Comey preemptively reaching out to shake hands. Trump grabs his hand and attempts an embrace. The embrace, however, is entirely one sided.

Comey was disgusted. He regarded the episode as a physical attempt to show closeness and warmth in a fashion calculated to compromise him before Democrats who already mistrusted him.

But he did tell me in general terms that early on, Trump had “asked for loyalty” and that Comey had promised him only honesty. He also told me that Trump was perceptibly uncomfortable with this answer. And he said that ever since, the President had been trying to be chummy in a fashion that Comey felt was designed to absorb him into Trump’s world—to make him part of the team. Comey was deeply uncomfortable with these episodes. He told me that Trump sometimes talked to him a fashion designed to implicate him in Trump’s way of thinking. While I was not sure quite what this meant, it clearly disquieted Comey. He felt that these conversations were efforts to probe how resistant he would be to becoming a loyalist. In light of the dramatic dinner meeting and the Flynn request, it’s easy to see why they would be upsetting and feel like attempts at pressure.

He said repeatedly that it was going to be a very long few years. And he joked that the hashtag I use on Twitter—#NotesFromUnderTrump, which identifies the particular day of the Trump presidency—was ticking very slowly.

He said one other thing that day that, in retrospect, stands out in my memory: he expressed wariness about the then-still-unconfirmed deputy attorney general nominee, Rod Rosenstein. This surprised me because I had always thought well of Rosenstein and had mentioned his impending confirmation as a good thing. But Comey did not seem enthusiastic. The DOJ does need Senate-confirmed leadership, he agreed, noting that Dana Boente had done a fine job as acting deputy but that having confirmed people to make important decisions was critical. And he agreed with me that Rosenstein had a good reputation as a solid career guy.

That said, his reservations were palpable. “Rod is a survivor,” he said. And you don’t get to survive that long across administrations without making compromises. “So I have concerns.”

In retrospect, I think I know what Comey must have been thinking at that moment. He had been asked to pledge loyalty by Trump. When he had declined, and even before, he had seen repeated efforts to—from his point of view—undermine his independence and probe the FBI’s defenses against political interference. He had been asked to drop an investigation. He had spent the last few months working to defend the normative lines that protect the FBI from the White House. And he had felt the need personally to make clear to the President that there were questions he couldn't ask about investigative matters. So he was asking himself, I suspect: What loyalty oath had Rosenstein been asked to swear, and what happened at whatever dinner that request took place?

And I think they also sketch a trajectory in which Trump kept Comey on board only as long as it took him to figure out that there was no way to make Comey part of the team. Once he realized that he couldn’t do that—and that the Russia matter was thus not going away—he pulled the trigger.

I think we should change this thread title to Donald Trump Impeachment Watch

I went for a walk (aiming for 10k steps today!) and came back to these lovely headlines

Trump told Russians that firing ''nut job" Comey eased pressure from investigation NYT

and

Russia probe reaches current WH official, people familiar with the case say WaPo

Must go digging.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I love how it is non stop at this point. I just saw this as well: Current White House Official Identified As "Significant Person Of Interest" In Russia Probe. The NY Times and Washington Post are doing amazing work. We would be completely lost without them.

ETA- "nut job" is trending on twitter.

Here is succession list... just in case.

I hope they can prove Pence and Ryan were involved in the cover up. President Hatch isn't ideal but I think I'd rather him than Pence or Ryan.

I suppose if one of them resigns, the President could end up being someone who's not even in the line-up yet.

So much depends on IF removals and resignations happen, who goes first and how fast they get replaced. The confirmation battles for any position would be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Trump told Russians that firing ''nut job" Comey eased pressure from investigation NYT
    Watch Comey wander the halls of the NYT building with a pile of papers like "Oops, did I drop something? Oops, again?"

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    So much depends on IF removals and resignations happen, who goes first and how fast they get replaced. The confirmation battles for any position would be epic.
    It wouldn't be the confirmation battles, it would be finding anyone qualified that is stupid enough to take a position in this administration/circus. Notice how quickly even John Cornyn pulled his name from being considered for FBI director, after Comey's firing. This administration is visibly toxic.