Page 356 of 356 FirstFirst ... 256306346354355356
Results 5,326 to 5,333 of 5333

Thread: How Low Can We Go? The President Donald Trump Thread, I guess. :(

Rick Wilson's hilarious. He is a conservative and a Republican, so he's not someone I'd want actually influencing policy. Like you said, he can "only be trusted so far." But he's refreshingly scathing of Trump supporters, whereas a lot of prominent people on the centre and left, I find, want to mollycoddle them with this misguidedly patronizing approach ("economic anxiety"). And being an actually funny conservative makes him an extremely rare creature, almost like a unicorn.

The refreshing thing about Rick Wilson is that he’s smart. Yeah he’s a conservative but he’s also acknowledged that people like him are part of what led the GOP down this path, and he’s a big enough person to admit that the idiocy has gotten out of control and we need sanity back. I’ve yet to hear a quote from a Democrat quite as scathing as what Rick can come up with.

I miss the days when my disagreements with people like him, or John McCain, or Mitt Romney were largely over policy, and not whether or not they were totally fucking nuts and selling out the country.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    As far left as I am, I believe also we need balance. I mean, I live in the bluest state so I know what happens when there isn't balance. One party without some push back leads to corruption and stagnation. We don't need a large, strong conservative party to hold back true progress, especially social progress, but sometimes we need someone a little to the right of us to say "Hey you ding dong hippies. Can you just pump the brakes for a second while the rest of us catch up?" Not always. But sometimes.

Anyway, this made me chuckle. Everything this guy posts makes me chuckle.

Yeah, I also like Rick Wilson. And his book has the best title of all the anti-Trump books.

And I also believe in balance between sane and decent conservatives and liberals. The problem is that there are fewer and fewer of the former leading the Rs now. I actually support the idea of a center-right party that isn't bugfuck crazy. But I don't know where those folks are today. (There are exceptions, like Wilson.) Trumpies aren't conservatives. They're fucking nihilists.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by fluteoftheloon View Post
    Where's the mind bleach?

Well played!
    Last edited by beanstew; 09-18-2018 at 11:37 PM.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    THANKFULLY the Toad stuff faded quickly like everything else does in this nightmare simulation that we live in, but I did find this funny

And I wouldn't do this but it's amusing seeing it

I finished Rick Wilson's book. I found it very enjoyable overall. I did hate how much he referred to it as "pro-abortion" when the subject came up, especially when he kept yammering about his libertarian leanings... I guess freedom doesn't apply to one's own body if you've got a uterus. Plus in his chapter about the Dems' issues, he was like "you all need to stop being so single issue voter on this." But we *have* to be so focused because it's actually them with the abortion purity test. I believe he sincerely hates Trump but I still have to wonder how much of his shtick is trying to reform his party or trying to be a wolf in sheep's clothing. Anyway, some of my favorite tirades were:

About WH staff getting their due for associating with Trump: "Schadenfreudeapalooza."

When Ivanka and Jared tried to get Kelly fired: "Night of the Long Sporks."

"Steve Mnuchin and his wife, sometime actress and LARPing supervillainess Louise Linton"

"Milo's love of the transgressive isn't political; he's drawn to the gleaming eye of the camera, not by something deeper or more meaningful."

Bannon: "persistently looking like he’s been dragged over 30 miles of bad road"

Carter Page: "Profoundly disconnected, socially awkward, and reeking of late-stage virginity, he gives off the creepy Uncanny Valley vibe of a rogue, possibly murderous android or of a man with a too-extensive knowledge of human taxidermy and a soundproofed van."

"Like the rest of Trump World, Page brought a kind of Underpants Gnome theory to his bromance with Team Putin. Through some unknown alchemy, he expected to benefit Trump and gain influence and profit from his Russia foray."

"Watching [Stephen] Miller, I am haunted by how little humanity is behind those 32-year-old eyes."

A reasonable shot at the PA special election: "For once in their lives, the Democrats told their own progressive purity posse to shut up, sit in the corner, and let the grown-ups work."

"Imagine for a moment a ludicrous, Bond-knockoff, straight-to-cable movie villain, status anxiety screaming out of every pore. Imagine a cloud of Drakkar Noir surrounding him dense enough to cause nearby victims to believe they're in the midst of a WMD attack. Imagine attending an Inaugural Ball wearing a black tunic getup that looks like something an old-school Star Trek villain might sport. Imagine driving a black Mustang with ART WAR vanity tags.

I know, ladies, try to keep your clothes on, because we're talking the pinnacle of Trump World machismo: Herr Doktor Sebastian Gorka, the Dragon of Budapest, scourge of the savage Mahometan horde, 4-cylinder Mustang driver. If we didn't have a Sebastian Gorka, we'd have to invent him. His outrageous, blustering affect, his Anglo-Eurotrash acccccent, his endless, protests-too-much masculine posturing, and his edge-case policy views are a perfect example of how Trump attracted the misfit toys."

Tiki-torch wielders: "Citronella ISIS boys"

Roy Moore: "Senator Pedobear"

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    This article: Rosenstein Suggested Secretly Recording Trump and Discussed 25th Amendment has got a lot of people talking. Lots of speculation that this was leaked by Trump's team to give a reason to fire Rosenstein this weekend. Hold onto your hats....

It conveniently names the three people Trump wants gone — Rosenstein, Sessions, and Kelly. That paves the way for firing them and installing Trump loyalists to stop the Russia investigation, and also gives a nice distraction from the Kavanaugh bullshit.

It’s so coincidental that a story broke yesterday about Michael Cohen interviewing for hours with the Special Counsel’s office, and today some anonymous source has given Trump ammunition to remove Rosenstein, the person the Special Counsel reports to.