Page 309 of 363 FirstFirst ... 209259299307308309310311319359 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,635 of 5441

Thread: How Low Can We Go? The President Donald Trump Thread, I guess. :(

  1. #4621
    Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,602
    She's lost her mind.




    They're trying to walk it back by saying she was talking about the GOP needing to stand by Trump or they'll get primaried or lose in Nov, but she dropped all that context. Just like a Romney: cowardly.

    in case she does delete it

    @GOPChairwoman
    Complacency is our enemy. Anyone that does not embrace the @realDonaldTrump agenda of making America great again will be making a mistake.
    It's also possible she's referring to this



    I'm not sure if it's true and even if it is, does it matter? Russia can launder its money through the NRA apparently. So why need people like the Kochs but on a lesser scale?

  2. #4622
    worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,155
    Happy Birthday Donnie! I got you a lawsuit: New York files suit against Trump, alleging his charity engaged in ‘illegal conduct’

    Hopefully more charges keep coming as the legal system catches up to the investigative reporting during the campaign.

  3. #4623
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I think it's very possible he could win. Incumbents USUALLY do. The economy is doing fine enough. I mean, the pee tape being simulcast across the country isn't going to lose him a single vote. If we get complacent, he'll win. We have to assume that there are going to be voting irregularities again. Suppression, tampering. We have to come out twice as hard to hopefully count half as much. And we have to hope that while he has the support of most Republican voters, that he doesn't have the enthusiastic support of enough of them to go out in key battleground states and actually vote.

    So we mostly have to hope for extraordinary dems and lefty bernie bro types turnouts and a depressed GOP turnout.

    I can't imagine he has won over a single person in the last 18 months, but if Dems don't turn out bigly, we're fucked. And since no one has taken any steps to make sure elections are fair, it has to be record-breaking turnout.

    And, to be fair, it has been in most of the primaries.

    I don't think we can hope that his faithful will turn on him. He will lie. He will say he will lie and they'll still believe the lie. He did it this week: he said if NK doesn't work out he'll blame someone else. Logic didn't get them on his side; logic will not get them to turn. We just have to hope enough people who went "Gee, I really hate Hillary and he won't be this clownish if he wins" go "Oh hell no" and vote Dem, third party, or stay home.

    And he has to win the primary. If Never Trump Republicans got their shit together, they could get him gone. They could change the RNC rules to make him turn over tax returns. They could get rid of him in perfectly legal ways, but they won't. No one wants to be the one to stick their neck out after McMullen not getting support when he did.
    I disagree. He lost the popular vote in 2016 and barely won the electoral. Like...150,000 votes the the other way (especially in Fl and PA) and we wouldn't be talking about this. So yeah, I think there were plenty of people who either didn't vote at all, or voted third party, cause Hillary was the Dem candidate and there are some 2016 borderlines who can see through Trump's shit and will now vote Dem. We don't even have to hope his faithful turn on him. I don't expect Pro-Trump voters to turn. I expect anti Hillary Trump voters to turn....and I think they will.
    Obviously we have a long time to go before 2020, this seems like a pretty easy election to win for the left. We know how we fucked up last time and it won't happen again. But let's reconvene in a year and see what sort of shit has happened.

  4. #4624
    Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I disagree. He lost the popular vote in 2016 and barely won the electoral. Like...150,000 votes the the other way (especially in Fl and PA) and we wouldn't be talking about this. So yeah, I think there were plenty of people who either didn't vote at all, or voted third party, cause Hillary was the Dem candidate and there are some 2016 borderlines who can see through Trump's shit and will now vote Dem. We don't even have to hope his faithful turn on him. I don't expect Pro-Trump voters to turn. I expect anti Hillary Trump voters to turn....and I think they will.
    Obviously we have a long time to go before 2020, this seems like a pretty easy election to win for the left. We know how we fucked up last time and it won't happen again. But let's reconvene in a year and see what sort of shit has happened.
    Oh I totally agree with you that the math implies we got this. So few votes we need to get, so few people won to his side. so many protest votes who'd go Dem, but that's going to be disastrous for us if we think that way. His polling is inexplicably going up and nothing sticks to him. And NOTHING has been done to make sure voting is reliable and accurate.

    The last week or so I'm mostly just hoping that he'll do an LBJ. See he's not going to win and bow out early. Say he doesn't need to go for 2020 because America is already great because of him and he's too pure for us as we (lefties, press) are grossly unfair.

    Getting him out on his fat ass electorally SHOULD be a slam dunk but it won't be. We can't pretend it is going to be. That's how we lost in 2016.

  5. #4625
    strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sactown
    Posts
    2,533
    Here's the thing though. Democrats, historically, are TERRIBLE at playing this game. We could run GOD himself and still lose when the GOP is so good at manipulating the narrative. People are doubling down on their support for Trump. Even politicians are afraid to stand up to him. it's insane.

  6. #4626
    I am not a loony beanstew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,778
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

  7. #4627
    Let them eat cheese flan Nancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,842
    Gotta laugh or cry.

  8. #4628
    Senior Member fluteoftheloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,073
    Screenshotted for posterity

    Eta: Here's a thread with some highlights of the lawsuit:

    Last edited by fluteoftheloon; 06-14-2018 at 10:10 PM.

  9. #4629
    Administrator Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,969
    Hillary’s tweet actually makes me want to cry. All the people who whined about her being a bad candidate, I’m wondering if they’re appreciating kids being incarcerated because their parents sought asylum, or the new conservative majority on the Supreme Court that’s stripping voters rights, or the fact that our president basically became an apologist for brutal dictators who murder their own people because “they’re tough.” We’ve fallen so far in such a short time and call me a pessimist but I think the damage is irreversible, at least in the short term.

  10. #4630
    Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,733
    I agree with you Ryan. We've opened Pandora's box and taken a frigging blow torch to its clasps. This anti-intellectual thing that's going on has taken major root. We're in a terrible situation.

    I believe the most likely outcome is that Trump is going to be re-elected. For one thing, literally nothing has been done to prevent Russia from interfering again. For another, it looks to me like the average Republican is more excited about Trump now than before he took office. Finally, what Democrat has the "charisma" to beat him? We're Americans -- we don't vote on substance, but on style. And right now, being an asshole is the hautest of haute couture.

  11. #4631
    Senior Member fluteoftheloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,073
    Please don't be so negative. Dems are still flipping red seats in local elections, right? Bush was a terrible president with a terrible approval rating, he no doubt would have lost without 9/11.

    I'm positive that enough people will wake from their political coma and vote him out, if Mueller doesn't get him first, that is. In any case, I feel that no Republican will be president for some time post-Trump. They have shown their true colours way too much, as spineless, far-right sociopaths that should not be trusted to make decisions for anyone.

  12. #4632
    Administrator Ryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,969
    Mueller just released info a couple days ago stating that we are still being actively interfered with by Russian active measures. In other words, a giant klaxon to let us know this election is going to be fucked too. There was a renewed push by trolls and bots this week on Twitter, floods of them, ramping up their attacks on journalists and any anti-Trump pundit or politician.

    I’ll be voting, but I’m not going to be positive. I let myself feel slightly positive about Clinton and we know how that ended up.

  13. #4633
    strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sactown
    Posts
    2,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Hillary’s tweet actually makes me want to cry. All the people who whined about her being a bad candidate, I’m wondering if they’re appreciating kids being incarcerated because their parents sought asylum, or the new conservative majority on the Supreme Court that’s stripping voters rights, or the fact that our president basically became an apologist for brutal dictators who murder their own people because “they’re tough.” We’ve fallen so far in such a short time and call me a pessimist but I think the damage is irreversible, at least in the short term.
    You've summed up exactly how I feel, Ryan. I honestly think we're fucked. We've gone too far over the edge and, honestly, there's no getting this stain out.

  14. #4634
    Senior Member fluteoftheloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Mueller just released info a couple days ago stating that we are still being actively interfered with by Russian active measures. In other words, a giant klaxon to let us know this election is going to be fucked too. There was a renewed push by trolls and bots this week on Twitter, floods of them, ramping up their attacks on journalists and any anti-Trump pundit or politician.

    I’ll be voting, but I’m not going to be positive. I let myself feel slightly positive about Clinton and we know how that ended up.
    But this time we're fully aware of all that. You don't think that alone makes a huge difference? Didn't they try an email scandal just before the French elections and nobody fell for it? I don't care that Trump cultists will fall for it again, they live in their own reality, but there should be enough in the US who stayed home last time really regretting it by now to vote him out in a landslide. Fingers crossed.

  15. #4635
    Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,733
    Quote Originally Posted by fluteoftheloon View Post
    But this time we're fully aware of all that. You don't think that alone makes a huge difference? Didn't they try an email scandal just before the French elections and nobody fell for it? I don't care that Trump cultists will fall for it again, they live in their own reality, but there should be enough in the US who stayed home last time really regretting it by now to vote him out in a landslide. Fingers crossed.
    -We (fluteoftheloon, grapefruit, owen, ryan and the whole beautiful Unforumed gang as far as I can tell) know. But we weren't manipulated by their baseless, insane, hateful, anti-intellectual messages and shit baggery to begin with. Most Americans do not take this issue seriously. "We" are not like most Americans. I don't think We have made literally any progress on foreign manipulation through social media, on any front, at all.

    -I believe the data clearly shows that Trump support is growing amongst Republicans, not just the most moronic bottom dwellers of that party. There are more cultists now than ever before.

    -The real problem isn't Trump anyway. The real problem is that a whole lot of people honest to god believe in whatever it is they think he (or the Repukelican party) stands for, and will stand by him no matter what. That's what the last two years have proven unequivocally.

    And by the way, pray to God Democrats don't push for Impeachment. His victimhood narrative will create outright war. And because Republicans know no shame when it comes to tactics, because they will always stoop lower, I am part of the crowd that thinks it's very bad strategy to crucify modern Republican Jesus.

    Disclosure: I am skeptical in the best of times, but today has me beat. On Facebook today, friends and acquaintances who I know to be of similar minds when it comes to politics (all progressives, all berry blue Seattle-ites), were completely screaming at each other over a post I shared about the Seattle homeless situation (which is a very serious and growing problem in this city right now). If these folks can't agree on a definition of sanity, JFC, we truly have no hope.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •