Page 244 of 244 FirstFirst ... 144194234242243244
Results 3,646 to 3,651 of 3651

Thread: How Low Can We Go? The President Donald Trump Thread, I guess. :(

Quote Originally Posted by SMMY View Post
    I actually think when he said "he knew what he signed up for, but when it happens, it hurts anyway" wasn't in reference to the soldier, but to himself and his presidency. Yes, even as he was supposed to be comforting a widow, he was just thinking about and feeling sorry for himself.
    Yep! I realized that yesterday when I was stupidly trying to argue on Reddit. A Trumpster was all "In context, there's nothing wrong with what he said". Yeah, there is...he said it for the reasons you stated ^^. He wasn't trying to comfort her. He was trying to make sure she didn't blame him for her husband's death. Which 1) is selfish and uncaring, and 2) she probably wasn't even thinking about who's to blame. Yet that's where his thoughts went. She was just upset cause her husband is fucking dead. His narcissism it astounding.

For anyone in need of therapy after this week, Obama is campaigning in Virginia tonight at 7:00 east coast time. It will be on CSPAN.

FAKE NEWS!

"I was stunned … and broken-hearted": Ret. Gen. John Kelly attacks witness to Trump’s disrespect for troops

https://www.vox.com/2017/10/19/16504...oldiers-family

...And in their most dramatic attempt to discredit the story yet, on Thursday Sanders relinquished the podium to White House Chief of Staff and retired Army Gen. John Kelly, who lost his son in Afghanistan in 2010, who said the problem was with the member of Congress, not the president.

Kelly did not deny Rep. Frederica Wilson’s (D-FL) story. But he claimed outrage that she would listen in on the phone call, and brought up an unrelated incident two years ago when he claimed she engaged in political grandstanding at the dedication of a new FBI field office in Miami.

“I was stunned when I came to work yesterday morning, and broken-hearted, at what I saw a member of Congress doing, a member of Congress who listened in on a phone call from the president of the United States to a young wife,” Kelly said. “In his way [Trump] tried to express that opinion that he's a brave man, a fallen hero, he knew what he was getting himself into because he enlisted, there's no reason to enlist, he enlisted and was where he wanted to be, exactly where he wanted to be with exactly the people he wanted to be with when his life was taken. That was the message.”

It wasn’t the first time that the administration has cited Kelly’s late son in this debate — President Trump claimed that then-President Obama never called Kelly, to defend himself for being late in calling the families of four soldiers killed in Niger — but it’s the most notable to date.
    ^ This was entirely self-inflicted on Trump's part, as usual. If he hadn't bragged about how superior he is to previous presidents at calling the families of the fallen to offer condolences (which is a bold-faced lie) Kelly never would have been dragged into making this speech, which must be one of the toughest things he's ever had to do, as much as he hates talking about his loss in public. Trump did ask Kelly what to say to families who had made the ultimate sacrifice, and Kelly advised him wisely and graciously. But the fact is, Trump made a hash of it, and came off as tactless and insensitive. Especially when he repeatedly referred to Sgt La David Johnson as "your guy."

It makes me sick to my stomach how Trump is using Kelly as a human shield in this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    "I was stunned … and broken-hearted": Ret. Gen. John Kelly attacks witness to Trump’s disrespect for troops

https://www.vox.com/2017/10/19/16504...oldiers-family

^ This was entirely self-inflicted on Trump's part, as usual. If he hadn't bragged about how superior he is to previous presidents at calling the families of the fallen to offer condolences (which is a bold-faced lie) Kelly never would have been dragged into making this speech, which must be one of the toughest things he's ever had to do, as much as he hates talking about his loss in public. Trump did ask Kelly what to say to families who had made the ultimate sacrifice, and Kelly advised him wisely and graciously. But the fact is, Trump made a hash of it, and came off as tactless and insensitive. Especially when he repeatedly referred to Sgt La David Johnson as "your guy."

It makes me sick to my stomach how Trump is using Kelly as a human shield in this matter.
    If he had stopped after he had talked about his son's death and simply apologized if the family was offended, then this would have ended right there. Instead he went on to smear the congresswoman, which it looks like he was wrong about as well. For someone who works for the attention whore that is our president, to accuse her of grandstanding is just bullshit. I also was alarmed about how he went on about how much better than civilians, the military was. Basically I got the impression that he wouldn't be adverse to having a Starship Troopers kind of nation. That is not what we are as a nation and though people who serve in the military deserve praise for their service, it doesn't negate work civilians do that is also public service. That whole last portion of tirade against the congresswoman and civies in general, pissed me off and also worries me. We have way too many military men in the WH with way too much power giving advice to DOTUS, as it is.

ETA: plus his longing for the olden days which echoes Trump's MAGA bullshit was such a load of crap. We're a better country than the country of my childhood, even if we still need to improve.

I agree 100%, SMMY.

Also waiting for the powers that be to demand an investigation on what happened in Niger, and wondering if any of the players in this incident has the stones to respond to questions like Hillary did when she testified for 11 hours before the House Select Committee in the aftermath of the Benghazi attacts.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/18/politi...now/index.html