Page 3 of 243 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: How Low Can We Go? The President Donald Trump Thread, I guess. :(

Anyone else watching 60 Minutes?

No, but read on twitter that he argued if Roe v Wade is overturned, women should just travel to other states, if they can't get an abortion. WTF

Oh and apparently he and Ryan plan to replace Medicare with private insurance next year. This is really bad for your senior citizens, right? Like, REALLY REALLY BAD. Like, hey, let's slowly kill our voter base, Donald! bad.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fluteoftheloon View Post
    Oh and apparently he and Ryan plan to replace Medicare with private insurance next year. This is really bad for your senior citizens, right? Like, REALLY REALLY BAD. Like, hey, let's slowly kill our voter base, Donald! bad.
    Weirdly, it's shit like that that gives me hope. Ryan might want it and a few other cuckoos, but their older base is going to not stand for it. Unless Ryan, etc, gut it and plan to blame The Donald in 2 years. I know Republicans want to kill it, but I know Republicans want to be re-elected.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    wait what? there are nearly 60 million people on Medicare. GOOD FUCKING LUCK WITH THAT YOU VIPERS.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Weirdly, it's shit like that that gives me hope. Ryan might want it and a few other cuckoos, but their older base is going to not stand for it. Unless Ryan, etc, gut it and plan to blame The Donald in 2 years. I know Republicans want to kill it, but I know Republicans want to be re-elected.
    And the shit is really going to get out of hand when they start to throw blame around. They kind of have all the power. Not many democrats they can go after, although, I am sure Elizabeth Warren or Chuck Shumer will be to blame for a lot of stuff that doesn't happen if he doesn't get all he wants done in the "first 100 days."
    And even that can last so long before they turn on each other.

Trump only wants to live in the White House part time. I bet you Pence is very happy to hear that.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    Trump only wants to live in the White House part time. I bet you Pence is very happy to hear that.
    And where is the right's outrage about that?

I was at the protest in Indianapolis Saturday night! The best sign?

Trump grabs women by the pussy. Pence by the uterus.
    Periods for Pence needs to go national.

fluid, affectionate, chaste, mature Mackerel's Avatar
    ^I think we should encourage him to stay away from the White House as much as possible.

He (Trump) has always been a talking head.

I think I'm having a delayed reaction. I was more positive at the end of last week than I am now. I cannot believe Donald Fucking Trump is the next president. When I was in the Air Force the Commander-in-Chief's photo was in a lot of offices, etc. I just cannot imagine seeing his face in that frame. I just cannot.

I am trying to remember it's about the small day to day things that we do. We need to smile at our neighbors. Offer support. Be kind. I was reminded of Before Sunset one of my favorite movies ever. Sometimes, it's about the pencils.

Céline: But the reality of it is that the true work of improving things is in the little achievements of the day. And that's what you need to enjoy, just in that field.

Jesse: What, what do you mean, exactly?

Céline: Well, for example, I was working for this organization that helped villages in Mexico. And their concerns was how to get the pencils sent to the kid in these little country schools. I was not about big revolutionary ideas, it was about pencils. I see the people that do the real work and what's really sad, in a way, is that...the people that are the most giving, hard working and capable of making this world better, usually don't have the ego and ambition to be a leader. They don't see any interest in superficial rewards, they don't care if...if their name ever appear in the press. They actually enjoy the process of helping others, they're in the moment.

fluid, affectionate, chaste, mature Mackerel's Avatar
    Everybody is on fire about his fascistic statements, and I am too, but on a more basic level I wonder how long it will be before everybody realizes, and the media openly admits, that Donald Trump is totally and hopelessly mentally incapacitated. I am not kidding, joking, or exaggerating.

Trump is wayyyyy out of his depth. And his rag tag team of reanimated corpses are, too.

He has to hire about 4000 people by January, if I remember correctly. How long before he runs out of names or patience and delegates that all to Pence like an unwanted household chore?

I'm think I'm finally at acceptance. I had horrible dreams Saturday all about Trump and the potential disaster... and I woke up feeling relieved of all my pent up fear.

I'm enjoying this brief moment of acceptance before the cabinet positions are officially announced. I fully expect another round of full blown shock and anger once those are announced.

spoilered for size:
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

A Time for Refusal By TEJU COLENOV. 11, 2016

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/11/ma...=fb-share&_r=0

It is a Sunday afternoon in a provincial town in France. Two men meet at a cafe. One of them, Berenger, is half-drunk. He is being berated by his companion, Jean. All of the sudden, they hear a great noise. When they and other townspeople crane their necks to figure out what’s going on, they see a large animal thundering down one of the streets, stamping and snorting all the way. A rhinoceros! Not long after, there’s another. They are startled. It’s outrageous. Something must be done. What they begin to do is argue heatedly about whether the second rhino was the first one going past a second time or a different one, and then about whether the rhinos are African or Asiatic.

Things become more disturbing in the next act. (This is a play: “Rhinoceros,” written by Eugène Ionesco.) The rhino sightings continue to be the subject of pointless dispute. Then, one by one, various people in the town begin to turn into rhinos. Their skin hardens, bumps appear over their noses and grow into horns. Jean had been one of those scandalized by the first two rhino sightings, but he becomes a rhino, too. Midway through his metamorphosis, Berenger argues with him: “You must admit that we have a philosophy that animals don’t share, and an irreplaceable set of values, which it’s taken centuries of human civilization to build up.” Jean, well on his way to being a rhino, retorts, “When we’ve demolished all that, we’ll be better off!”

It is an epidemic of “rhinoceritis.” Almost everyone succumbs: those who admire the brute force of the rhinos, those who didn’t believe the sightings to begin with, those who initially found them alarming. One character, Dudard, declares, “If you’re going to criticize, it’s better to do so from the inside.” And so he willingly undergoes the metamorphosis, and there’s no way back for him. The final holdouts from this mass capitulation are Berenger and Daisy, his co-worker.

Eugène Ionesco was French-Romanian. He wrote “Rhinoceros” in 1958 as a response to totalitarian movements in Europe, but he was influenced specifically by his experience of fascism in Romania in the 1930s. Ionesco wanted to know why so many people give in to these poisonous ideologies. How could so many get it so wrong? The play, an absurd farce, was one way he grappled with this problem.

On Aug. 19, 2015, shortly after midnight, the brothers Stephen and Scott Leader assaulted Guillermo Rodriguez. Rodriguez had been sleeping near a train station in Boston. The Leader brothers beat him with a metal pipe, breaking his nose and bruising his ribs, and called him a “wetback.” They urinated on him. “All these illegals need to be deported,” they are said to have declared during the attack. The brothers were fans of the candidate who would go on to win the Republican party’s presidential nomination. Told of the incident at the time, that candidate said: “People who are following me are very passionate. They love this country, and they want this country to be great again.”

That was the moment when my mental alarm bells, already ringing, went amok. There were many other astonishing events to come — the accounts of sexual violence, the evidence of racism, the promise of torture, the advocacy of war crimes — but the assault on Rodriguez, as well as the largely tolerant response to it, was a marker. Some people were outraged, but outrage soon became its own ineffectual reflex. Others found a rich vein of humor in the parade of obscenities and cruelties. Others simply took a view similar to that of the character Botard in Ionesco’s play: “I don’t mean to be offensive. But I don’t believe a word of it. No rhinoceros has ever been seen in this country!”

In the early hours of Nov. 9, 2016, the winner of the presidential election was declared. As the day unfolded, the extent to which a moral rhinoceritis had taken hold was apparent. People magazine had a giddy piece about the president-elect’s daughter and her family, a sequence of photos that they headlined “way too cute.” In The New York Times, one opinion piece suggested that the belligerent bigot’s supporters ought not be shamed. Another asked whether this president-elect could be a good president and found cause for optimism. Cable news anchors were able to express their surprise at the outcome of the election, but not in any way vocalize their fury. All around were the unmistakable signs of normalization in progress. So many were falling into line without being pushed. It was happening at tremendous speed, like a contagion. And it was catching even those whose plan was, like Dudard’s in “Rhinoceros,” to criticize “from the inside.”

Evil settles into everyday life when people are unable or unwilling to recognize it. It makes its home among us when we are keen to minimize it or describe it as something else. This is not a process that began a week or month or year ago. It did not begin with drone assassinations, or with the war on Iraq. Evil has always been here. But now it has taken on a totalitarian tone.

At the end of “Rhinoceros,” Daisy finds the call of the herd irresistible. Her skin goes green, she develops a horn, she’s gone. Berenger, imperfect, all alone, is racked by doubts. He is determined to keep his humanity, but looking in the mirror, he suddenly finds himself quite strange. He feels like a monster for being so out of step with the consensus. He is afraid of what this independence will cost him. But he keeps his resolve, and refuses to accept the horrible new normalcy. He’ll put up a fight, he says. “I’m not capitulating!”

Some useful info on how to get elected officials to listen if you don't have mad stacks of cash.