Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Tell me why you're awesome: the saving democracy edition

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    I'm packing to head to Poland tomorrow for a week. I'll be visiting Warsaw, Lublin, and Krakow. We're visiting the ghetto, Auschwitz, and the extermination camp at Majdanek. I knew from the moment I interviewed for the trip it would be incredibly hefty emotionally. But I don't think I was prepared to go with all the new meaning each sight, sound, and smell would hold. It was supposed to be a learn so you can teach and it won't happen again trip. It wasn't supposed to be a here's where you're headed America journey. The added context is getting rough and not something I anticipated.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    The rally here in Sacramento was a mixed bag. It was so inspiring to have such a HUGE turn out. Hearing our chants echoing down the streets between the buildings gave me chills. But the even wasn't well organized which resulted in some mixed messages coming from the stage. A small crowd wouldn't let the mayors wife speak, talked shit about the mayor to his face, and then shamed politicians for not showing up. It was confusing for us in the crowd. The organizers had to correct the message a few times. THEN that small crowd started an unplanned march that took away part of the crowd.

STILL, it was 90% amazing. The local native american tribes got together and did an amazing drum circle, dance, and blessing of the event. Many of the speakers had me in tears, it was so powerful and inspiring all in all.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    NYC was great. I was surprised and impressed at just how well organized it was. There was a ton of people. It took us hours to get a across the Brooklyn Bridge. It reminded me of the women's march where there was just too many people to actually march. (Obviously not a bad thing!) The sun was brutal. We are in the middle of a heat wave and the temperature got close to 100. It was amazing to see everyone sticking it out and making sure their neighbors were okay. A highlight for me was the reactions from all the supportive motorists on the bridge as we were crossing.