Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me why you're awesome: the saving democracy edition

fluid, affectionate, chaste, mature Carbuncle's Avatar

Icon15 Tell me why you're awesome: the saving democracy edition

In light of the fact that the political news is giving us so much cause for grief and despair, I thought it would help our collective sanity to have a place where we can list a small action we did to help our cause. You can post in it weekly, daily, whatever. It won't take away our worries, but it may help with the constant negative mental feedback cycle of worrying to the point of exhaustion and mental health breakdowns.

You can give yourself a small task to do, then relax for the rest of the day or week or whatever and do other stuff knowing that you've made a difference, and everyone here is cheering you on.

Your small action could mean a lot of things: donating $5 bucks to an organization that helps protect our constitutional rights, women, immigrants, Muslims, Hispanics, the poor, a Democratic political campaign, or the environment. It could mean volunteering for an hour at a food bank or the ACLU. It could mean calling a congressman/congresswoman to make our voices heard. It could mean voting. It could mean reminding others to vote. It could mean engaging in a difficult conversation with a voter. It really is open-ended, as long as it is a concrete action of some kind.

I'll kick it off by saying: Today I called my congressman in my jurisdiction for the first time to register my displeasure with Frank Gaffney and Kris Kobach being considered for the Trump administration. They were courteous and thanked me for making my voice heard. This was the first time I ever called my congressman.

in an infinite regress just owls's Avatar
    This is a good idea! Focus on anything positive. This week I've:

- volunteered my design and development services to various progressive non-profits and should be starting to work on a few in the coming weeks
    - bought a book from an author who is donating all proceeds to the ACLU (should be a sizeable donation)
    - called both of my senators and my House rep to voice my displeasure that none of that had spoken out against Bannon

It was also my first time calling my representatives and I have to say, the two people who picked up were dicks. One nearly hung up on me before I got out a sentence and the other sighed and said he doesn't think my senator had any plans on speaking on the Bannon issue. The other senator's number just went to voicemail, but I did leave a message.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Let's see...

-Donated to Foster Campbell's campaign
    -Signed all the petitions for Things That Will Probably Not Happen But I Had to Try
    -called Mitch McConnell's office to shout at a harried intern re: Bannon
    -called Senator Gillibrand and Schumers office here in NY
    -made tentative plans to go to the Women's March on Washington in January

Quote Originally Posted by just owls View Post
    This is a good idea! Focus on anything positive. This week I've:

- volunteered my design and development services to various progressive non-profits and should be starting to work on a few in the coming weeks
    - bought a book from an author who is donating all proceeds to the ACLU (should be a sizeable donation)
    - called both of my senators and my House rep to voice my displeasure that none of that had spoken out against Bannon

It was also my first time calling my representatives and I have to say, the two people who picked up were dicks. One nearly hung up on me before I got out a sentence and the other sighed and said he doesn't think my senator had any plans on speaking on the Bannon issue. The other senator's number just went to voicemail, but I did leave a message.
    Ugh I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. Constituents should be treated with respect. But good on you for persevering! I do know they literally tally up and count these comments, so you made your point clear despite their dickishness. Bravo.

I donated to the ACLU today as well, and liked their facebook page. They seem really buoyed by all the support, and I just hope it keeps going and going. I also think creatives finding innovative ways to chip in is a great goal. I need to get on that myself (my writing/editing skills.)

Thank you for your action!! It makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Let's see...

-Donated to Foster Campbell's campaign
    -Signed all the petitions for Things That Will Probably Not Happen But I Had to Try
    -called Mitch McConnell's office to shout at a harried intern re: Bannon
    -called Senator Gillibrand and Schumers office here in NY
    -made tentative plans to go to the Women's March on Washington in January
    Amazing stuff. (Foster Campbell, for those who don't know, is a candidate for a Louisiana Senate seat. It's our final remaining chance to flip one more seat. Why does this matter, since we still won't have the majority? The more seats we have, the more we can sway legislation our way, and the less power Trump has to shred our constitution. The link to donate is here: https://secure.actblue.com/contribut...fw-la-campbell and they accept donations as low as $5 bucks. This will probably make the biggest legislative difference barring elections in 2018, so it's worth giving everything we got.) So thank you Kari!

And amazing on you for calling both senators in NY! Apparently, due to Kari & other angry liberals in NYC Gillibrand has had to open a separate "Angry about Bannon" hotline here: 212-688-6262 if anyone else wants to take a crack. (this includes me.) Bravo!! Your anger made a difference!

And I'm thinking about the Inauguration March myself. We'll see.

Keep it coming guys!

- I committed to attend the march in DC on Jan. 21st. I have four close friends from HS who are meeting me there.
    - I read Dr. King's "Letter From a Birmingham Jail." I'm trying to understand how he was able to maintain his sense of love and hope toward actual haters.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbuncle View Post

And amazing on you for calling both senators in NY! Apparently, due to Kari & other angry liberals in NYC Gillibrand has had to open a separate "Angry about Bannon" hotline here: 212-688-6262 if anyone else wants to take a crack. (this includes me.) Bravo!! Your anger made a difference!

And I'm thinking about the Inauguration March myself. We'll see.

Keep it coming guys!
    BAHAHAHHA they had to make a whole new number? That's awesome! Yeah both folks I spoke to there were stressed af but friendly and receptive.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPeaches View Post
    - I committed to attend the march in DC on Jan. 21st. I have four close friends from HS who are meeting me there.
    - I read Dr. King's "Letter From a Birmingham Jail." I'm trying to understand how he was able to maintain his sense of love and hope toward actual haters.
    This march is a brave thing to commit to. I'm a little scared for my physical safety because I don't know how dangerous it will be or what the climate will be like leading up to it. But I know that this is going to be an important historical moment. Bravo to you for committing to peaceful civil protest!!

I have been thinking a lot about nonviolent civil disobedience, MLK, the Constitution, and American history in general. I'm realizing that though I pride myself on being a well-informed, well-read person, there is much I don't know and many things I want to read and learn. I want to commit myself to reading like 10 different books and feel a little overwhelmed, but reading a letter sounds manageable. Thank you for keeping informed!

BAHAHAHHA they had to make a whole new number? That's awesome! Yeah both folks I spoke to there were stressed af but friendly and receptive.
    Can you just imagine what it must have sounded like on their end? JUST THE ANGRY WEALTHY JEWS ALONE

just did this! Reposting info from a friend. I didn't get the same info or feedback he did probably because of my pesky case of The Vagina, but oh well:

If you're looking for action to take today, here's a good idea from a friend:

"This morning I called the House Oversight Committee (202-225-5074) to support the call for a bipartisan review of Trump's financials and apparent conflicts of interest.

I was told that the Committee has "received many calls on this" and that the Chairman says he'll hold Trump to the same standard to which Obama was held. I asked if the same standard applied to Clinton would also be applied to Trump, and was told yes.

I asked if there was any timetable for this review, given that the inauguration is expected to occur in January. I was told the committee does not have a timetable yet because "they just got back" but that "after Thanksgiving" movement is likely.

We need to keep calling and force placement of this on the agenda as soon as possible."

just did this! Reposting info from a friend. I didn't get the same info or feedback he did probably because of my pesky case of The Vagina, but oh well:
    I called just now. It doesn't even feel like they're taking it seriously at this point, they're just waving these calls along like OK great thanks. But at some point the sheer volume of it has to be hitting them, especially if I remember to do this once a week 10 months from now. I'm a committed relationship with democracy now and I need to keep in touch!

Great thread idea.

I just watched this video of Glenn Beck on Anderson Cooper's show calling out Bannon's appointment, and live attributing his alt-right/racist quotes. GLENN FUCKING BECK, better at fact-checking than CNN.

It also inspired me to set up a monthly donation to ACLU, which joins my monthly donation to Planned Parenthood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    It also inspired me to set up a monthly donation to ACLU, which joins my monthly donation to Planned Parenthood.
    I know it's easy to get angry at the videos circulating online. I feel you. But taking concrete action to support the ACLU will help ensure Trump will be facing the most powerful civil rights organization in history. Thank you for turning media consumption into active, concrete political action! Bravo!!

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Great thread idea.

This may sound a bit like a humblebrag but rest assured we only get to do this a few times a year for work - I just ran a know-your-rights workshop for over 100 incarcerated women, including informing them about their voting rights. So many of them had no idea that they would ever be able to vote again - and a lot are getting out in the next year on probation and will be able to vote in 2018. These kinds of non-profit endeavors are only able to exist because of donors and community enthusiasm for the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    Great thread idea.

This may sound a bit like a humblebrag but rest assured we only get to do this a few times a year for work - I just ran a know-your-rights workshop for over 100 incarcerated women, including informing them about their voting rights. So many of them had no idea that they would ever be able to vote again - and a lot are getting out in the next year on probation and will be able to vote in 2018. These kinds of non-profit endeavors are only able to exist because of donors and community enthusiasm for the project.
    You are empowering democracy. No need to play that down! That's everything. I'm so grateful to people who make this their life's work while the rest of us are only doing this part time, and hope you know how much we appreciate what you do. Please keep it up and don't get discouraged. We're here.