Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Tell me why you're awesome: the saving democracy edition

The ACLU has filed a lawsuit against DC Police for their treatment of protesters at Trump's Inauguration. Most of the protesters are facing life sentences. Some of the more alarming reports about the treatment of the protesters concern sexual assault as a form of punishment.

Tenuously related but Liberty (the UK's equivalent of the ACLU) have been granted permission to challange the Snooper's Charter in the High Court.

Proud to pay my membership fee.
    Last edited by beanstew; 06-30-2017 at 07:53 PM.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I'm also a proud member of Liberty and this is fantastic news. Fingers crossed they can smack this down.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    My husband is an anthropologist with an experience in politics and he knows his good deal of stuff about the mechanics behind the migration crisis. He's written a short essay to tell the story of the migrants we're hosting in our town, what brought them here, how the locals reacted to the news and what they thought once they got to know them. He explains that they're considered non-persons and that they are technically slaves. Some local politicians are getting very interested in his work and they're recognizing his competence on the subject, so they're inviting him to talk at conference to explain what is this extremely counterintuitive and sad maze of history an politics in which we're living today.
    I can't do much to help besides doing graphics and giving him feedback, I wish I could do more.

I wish I could do more about a lot of stuff. I also care a lot about the environmental issues, I've always done, and while I think about the importance of wilderness against the anthropic control of nature I try to pick up the trash I find around my house. When you stop to notice there's trash literally everywhere. Today I've picked up a plastic bottle abandoned in the middle of the beautiful central square of my town. People can be so ignorant.
    Last edited by Bloody Grace; 07-05-2017 at 12:48 AM.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    While I voted today, it wasn't all I did. I held a sign for a friend in a local election for a few hours. It was outside of my comfort zone, but I feel it's something I have to do now to KEEP a comfort zone. It was super easy too. Just signed up electronically without a huge production, showed up, picked up my sign out of a pile, and stood there for two freeeeeeezing hours. But like, I didn't have fill out paperwork or spend money or invest heavily with my time. Having not done it before, it was something completely new to me. And while I don't know if it got my friend a single extra vote, I'm glad I did it and I'd like to do it again.

So if you're socially awkward like me, you can still find a place for yourself.

I sent some money and the some more money to Doug Jones in Alabama, it was going to be close, now looking for coverage.

ETA: The election in Alabama is December 12th. Weird!

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    While I voted today, it wasn't all I did. I held a sign for a friend in a local election for a few hours.
    My friend won! Tomorrow when I give kid election results, if I cry it'll be tears of joy instead of abject terror like last year

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Has anyone done this? Blue state residents (I mean anyone can do it, but I know a lot of us in blue states feel powerless) volunteering to contact people in red states, let them know about the horrible tax bill about to pass, and offer to patch them through to their Senator's office to ask them to vote no? I'm going to do this in the morning. I don't want to piss anyone off late in the evening.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    My students have been abuzz about the repeal of net neutrality. So I showed them how to use the resistbot. We turned it into a great lesson about audience analysis and formulating message based on purpose. My cold progressive heart grew three sizes yesterday to see them excited about being civically engaged.

I'm not a person who normally donates financially to people, especially out of my district, but I like Beto and I hate Ted Cruz. Texas is seriously winnable. It has way more non-voters than dedicated GOP voters, and the state, despite a strong red core, has a lot of growing blue.

Ted's got to go. He's gross and spineless. It'd be one thing if he were gross and standing up to Trump.

Teachers are on strike in West Virginia, even though that's illegal. All schools have been closed the past couple days, and It's likely to continue until next Tuesday. This is cool, because this is what WV is good at. Churches, civic orgs and food pantries are making sure kids still get their lunches while the schools are shut down. How cool is that?

In less happy news:

This Monday the Supreme Court is to hear a case that could pave the way to make all shops open shops.

So, today was a day of action for unions.
    Last edited by uncanny hats; 02-25-2018 at 01:49 AM.

WV teacher here. I'm at the capital right now waiting in line to get in. It has been intense. Governor Justice jus called us backyard rednecks in a town hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    WV teacher here. I'm at the capital right now waiting in line to get in. It has been intense. Governor Justice jus called us backyard rednecks in a town hall.

Does he think calling you all rednecks is going to go well?

And also to you and the rest of y'all out there fighting!
    Last edited by uncanny hats; 02-26-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Pics from today
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, that is just inspiring. Keep fighting the good fight, Andrea.