Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Tell me why you're awesome: the saving democracy edition

fluid, affectionate, chaste, mature Mackerel's Avatar
    ^ you both are the best!

^ I'm not sure about being the best, but don't let me forget to donate to Osoff's campaign again.

I also donated to United to Protect Democracy (Thanks Ryan) because lawyers are only evil when they're on the other side. Also because one of those lawyers is President Obama. Also because:

“This administration has raised the level of ethics training and oversight to a new level compared to the practices of the previous administration,” he (Sean Spicer) told Politico.

I think he means "razed."

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I've been calling my Republican congressman to vote no on the healthcare bill. I'm trying to get others as well. Hoping it dies in the House on Thursday.

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo
    just discovered donatebigly.com - ha! Based on which of the Trump team clowns you select (also incl. McConnell and Ryan), it will provide a list of causes that person has opposed and give charity suggestions/links; and it tells you the address where you can send acknowledgment cards if you want to donate in that person's name.

Because you want Jeff Sessions to know when you donate to the NAACP on his behalf.

I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread, but it's somewhat relevant, I suppose!

A few weeks ago I attended a local interfaith women's meeting. I actually thought it was more of a "lib women unite" type of thing, but instead found myself surrounded by women of various faiths and political views. The group is new, so they're still trying to find their purpose. One of the focuses will likely be to change legislation in Georgia to include hate crimes. There's this guy who's been hanging around all the local islamic centers holding an assault rifle and shouting all kinds of awful shit. It's threatening and terrifying, obviously. But he's legally allowed to do so in Georgia - he has a permit to carry and there's no hate crime legislation here so they literally have no grounds for arresting him.

Anyway, they've formed an action group to develop an action plan and I've volunteered to join. We're having our first meeting today.

I'm also helping a local progressive group develop an ad campaign.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Call your representatives!!! The Republicans are trying to jam through AHCA again. I just called mine now.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Look at what these people did. I'm crying. It's inspiring. Little acts of protest we should all keep in mind for when the opportunity might arise.

The ACLU has filed a lawsuit against DC Police for their treatment of protesters at Trump's Inauguration. Most of the protesters are facing life sentences. Some of the more alarming reports about the treatment of the protesters concern sexual assault as a form of punishment.

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    Tenuously related but Liberty (the UK's equivalent of the ACLU) have been granted permission to challange the Snooper's Charter in the High Court.

Proud to pay my membership fee.
    Last edited by beanstew; 06-30-2017 at 06:53 PM.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I'm also a proud member of Liberty and this is fantastic news. Fingers crossed they can smack this down.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    My husband is an anthropologist with an experience in politics and he knows his good deal of stuff about the mechanics behind the migration crisis. He's written a short essay to tell the story of the migrants we're hosting in our town, what brought them here, how the locals reacted to the news and what they thought once they got to know them. He explains that they're considered non-persons and that they are technically slaves. Some local politicians are getting very interested in his work and they're recognizing his competence on the subject, so they're inviting him to talk at conference to explain what is this extremely counterintuitive and sad maze of history an politics in which we're living today.
    I can't do much to help besides doing graphics and giving him feedback, I wish I could do more.

I wish I could do more about a lot of stuff. I also care a lot about the environmental issues, I've always done, and while I think about the importance of wilderness against the anthropic control of nature I try to pick up the trash I find around my house. When you stop to notice there's trash literally everywhere. Today I've picked up a plastic bottle abandoned in the middle of the beautiful central square of my town. People can be so ignorant.
    Last edited by Bloody Grace; 07-04-2017 at 11:48 PM.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun