Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Tell me why you're awesome: the saving democracy edition

Today, the teachers in West Virginia are participating in a wildcat strike

You can see (live) footage here:

https://www.facebook.com/wvdemocrats/videos/10155116890570964/

University staff are striking here too. There are some good pictures on the #ucustrike hashtag.

I am not involved as it's not my sector but I support them.

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    Pittsburgh teachers are set to strike tomorrow. KY teachers are trying to organize too. And we've shut down the entire state of WV again tomorrow. I wouldn't exactly call it a wildcat strike because unions have pledged to continue backing us and 99% of the counties are supporting their teachers. We just had to remind leadership that WE are the union.

So I was cheering when I saw that WVA teachers had reached a deal for a significant pay raise, and then I saw this paragraph in a CNN report:

At a legislative conference committee meeting Tuesday to resolve the issue, Republican state Sen. Craig Blair said the new deal represents the largest pay raise in state history. There will be no tax increase to offset the raise, and Blair said the government will see a $20 million reduction in spending to come out of cuts to general services and Medicaid.
    I'm like, what? Can somebody who's smarter than me tell me how this is going to help going forward?

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    Sounds like they were gonna cut those things anyway and now they have a scapegoat. “Didn’t get your Medicaid? Blame teachers!”

That's exactly what it is. Political gamesmanship at its worst. They had the money before the cuts but now the Senate republicans can pretend to be the saviors who rescued the state from the bad teachers who don't care about poor and elderly people.

Thank you for the reply, @Andrea. It's hard to keep up with all the bullshit. I hope it gets better for you.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    That's exactly what it is. Political gamesmanship at its worst. They had the money before the cuts but now the Senate republicans can pretend to be the saviors who rescued the state from the bad teachers who don't care about poor and elderly people.
    This whole thing, everything since Nov 2016... it all reminds me of the thing about you can shear a sheep over and over but you can only skin it once. Conventional wisdom would seem that some of these things go beyond shearing at some point you're done as a candidate or party, but it just doesn't happen. It's so strange.

This whole strike has been a huge eye opener for me. I follow national politics pretty closely but am ashamed to say never spent time following state politics. I've watched hours of live feed of legislative sessions and have been reminded over and over again what a mess our state is in because so many are like me in that regard. This pat weekend was a shitshow of massive proportions. The house voted all but unanimously to the 5% raise beating the crossover deadline by one day. The senate voted to amend the bill to 4%. BUT sent the wrong bill with the original 5% language back to the house. They realized what they'd done, and tried to recall the bill on the grounds that it had only gone through two readings despite pictures of the docket board showing it on its third reading. The house decided to relent so the whole thing didn't get tied up in the courts. The bill then went to conference committee. Before they could vote the chair admonished teachers for making a laughing stock of WV and adjourned forcing schools to close another day. The thing with the conference committee was that even with a majority vote, they could have killed the bill by simply refusing to sign it out of the committee. It was not a guarantee that this would have ended without a special session. So of course today all the Republican senators have turned on the spin machines patting themselves on the back for the great work they've done stearing us through this crisis.

Regina, I do believe they've skinned themselves this time. I hope I'm not wrong to hope, but I will not be at all surprised if there's not a bit of a blue bloodbath coming to WV.

I don't know if I'm seriously ill or just getting old or aches and pains of depression, but everything hurts. But I am taped up and took preventative aleve and got my sunblock on. Going to go to a march today.

Nothing is more important to me than children being taken away from their mothers. Nothing.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Me too! Getting ready to march in NYC

Stay safe and hydrated!

OMG I really was dehydrated but bathrooms were few and far between. I had to take tiny sips just enough to keep from dying. There were a lot of people here in Boston. We had Elizabeth Warren and Ginger Kennedy whose real name I forget. Thousands in the crowd. But like I couldn't hear the speakers that well and there was no shade and so hot (it's 95F right now, 35C) so I kind of just marched from point a to point b and then when shopping. If it were cooler you could just have chilled in place, but you HAD to be in the shade and the shade was too far back to hear the speakers.

It seemed mostly peaceable. As I was leaving I almost got flattened by bike cops. They rushed to an intersection where there was lots of yelling. I heard a chant of "SHOW YOUR FACE", so maybe someone in a klan hood or similar? Mask? But we left before the situation got out of control. Then I hit primark and got harry potter flip flops to make up for the heat stroke I was barely staving off.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post

It seemed mostly peaceable. As I was leaving I almost got flattened by bike cops. They rushed to an intersection where there was lots of yelling. I heard a chant of "SHOW YOUR FACE", so maybe someone in a klan hood or similar? Mask? But we left before the situation got out of control.
    Mystery solved

One of my friends made this shirt for my friend who ended up wearing it

I didn't bring a sign but I got one from the ACLU, so that was nice.

eta: I didn't take this picture but just happened to come across it and it was my favorite sign I saw today (several times... the guy and I were in sync)

In Mass, a lot of our road signs look like that, so it was a nice, local protest sign with a good message

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    0629181410~2.jpg

My sign for one of our local rallys. Very hot day. After 2 hours I left. I was getting kinda sick from the heat and lack of breeze. No issues. Very calm. Mayor spoke. One of our Congress people running for governor also spoke. My sign drew more attention than I thought it would, but not negative attention so it was fine.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life