Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me why you're awesome: the saving democracy edition

to all of you. I think this is the type of period in history where in the future we'll look back and ask 'well what did you do during that time?' and I don't want to be one of those people who simply let the evil things happen without challenging them (no matter how powerless I may feel) or didn't realise that my inaction would contribute. This is so important right now.

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    LOVE THIS thread. thank you for creating it. inspires me to get to work.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Doing it part-time should absolutely not be downplayed either. I generally don't do a ton of "smaller things" because by the time I get home I'm out of emotional energy to give. I'm going to try and change that this year. A ton of change can be made on a "part time" basis.

We have three more workshops to do this week - I'm feeling more excited about them already.

fluid, affectionate, chaste, mature Carbuncle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAE View Post
    to all of you. I think this is the type of period in history where in the future we'll look back and ask 'well what did you do during that time?' and I don't want to be one of those people who simply let the evil things happen without challenging them (no matter how powerless I may feel) or didn't realise that my inaction would contribute. This is so important right now.
    This is also, more than ever, a global endeavor. This thread is open to anyone in the world -- anyone in the world -- who's taking civic action in favor of democracy, civil rights, equality, inclusiveness, and liberty.

Icon15

great thread!

- I've emailed my state senators and representative re: Bannon. Working my way up to calling.
    BTW if you're in NYS, here are Senator Gillibrand's offices' phone numbers:
    • Albany (518) 431-0120
    • Buffalo (716) 854-9725
    • Long Island (631) 249-2825
    • North Country [?] (315) 376-6118
    • Rochester (585) 263-6250
    • Syracuse (315) 448-0470
    • NYC (212) 688-6262
    • Hudson Valley (845) 875-4585

And Senator Schumer's offices with phone numbers are here.
    - I'm planning on going to my first protest ever, this weekend. And I'm making plans to attend the protest in January in DC. I'm also sussing out protests in my home state because my mother has promised to go if I go with her (!)
    - I've signed all the petitions for things that should happen but will probably never come to pass

So, not so many actions, and they're not so big, but I'm working on it
    Last edited by Nora; 11-16-2016 at 11:45 PM.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Just donated here.

I've cancelled a couple of my monthly subscriptions for things like Hulu and Apple Music and instead set up recurring monthly donations to ACLU and Planned Parenthood. Also, everyone in my family who's on my Christmas list is getting a donation made in their name to the Trevor Project. They keep assuring me that they love me and that they don't vote for assholes because of their stances on LGBT issues, so I'll take their word for it and benefit some gay kids.

I'm just catching up with this thread, but here's a great link for ideas and actions people can take to fight back.
    It's going to be a weekly list. I've already subscribed and am working on no. 3 and no. 5.

The Facebook thing is super important. I think it was John Oliver who mentioned that something like 40% of people get their news solely from social media and Facebook. A LOT of the headlines I click on from Facebook are from sites like The Blaze or Breitbart, and other conservative shit I've never heard of. If they want to deliver news it shouldn't be from any site who submits it, which seems to be how it works now.

Sent $15 to Foster Campbell, who could give us a 51-49 minority in the Senate instead of 52-48.

Edit: and signed up to volunteer for him - there's a way to phone bank even if you aren't in Louisiana!

Today I ordered two blankets off of Carry the Future's amazon wishlist - they are running a blanket drive for the Jordan refugee camp: https://www.facebook.com/carrythefut...05097406307366

Last week I subscribed to the NY Times digital edition, I'm trying to decide if I should add on Sunday delivery. I've had bad experiences with the Boston Globe (they are a bitch to unsubscribe from if you need to) but they get so much abuse heaped on them daily by conservatives that I feel like I should do it. I think I also want to subscribe to Mother Jones.

I want to do the monthly donation thing in honor of Pence and Trump ... I'm thinking Trevor Project for Pence, and RAINN (if they have that capability) or ACLU for Trump.

Monthly donation is possible at RAINN! Thanks for sharing the Carry the Future link, that's awesome.

Thank you, thank you all for donating to our cause! I'm so hopeful and inspired by everyone taking action in this thread!! It means the world to me that I'm not alone in this. The ACLU on Rachel Maddow said they received very sizable donations from places like Missouri and Alabama -- not just from the coasts. We're not alone!

woops forgot to record, ETA:

I called Paul Ryan's office today because he'd been soliciting survey opinions from people about the ACA.

I know Jeff Sessions as Attny Gen. is a thing. I am planning on calling reps today or tomorrow.

I'm attending a political action meeting tomorrow in Brooklyn.

I've committed to attending the march on Inauguration Day.

I'm also wanting to make this a long-term practice, not just something I'll be done with in a month. So I'm trying to pace myself somewhat.

in an infinite regress just owls's Avatar
    ^ Those Alabama limousine liberal elites!

Sorry if this has been posted, but here's a list of a lot of other organizations that you can donate to.

And here's a list of companies that either sell Trump products or whose CEOs have donated to or come out in support of Trump. It's not exhaustive (T-Mobile's CEO came out in support of Trump and isn't on the list). The only company I use on there is Amazon (and I have to because I have no other way to get groceries), but I will still be contacting the others.

I've also deactivated my Facebook account, mostly due to Thiel's ongoing involvement. But no loss there.

There is also a civic action workout sheet that allows you to adjust your time commitments anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes, to make it feel more manageable and sane, if you're overwhelmed:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ceY/edit#gid=0