Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me why you're awesome: the saving democracy edition

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Today, I am putting my own oxygen mask on. I have had a very emotionally difficult two days.

I have been asked to write a short play for two different festivals that are for political action, so i will be working on that this weekend, along with a new play I started that feels eerily timely.

I will also be attempting to get some real sleep. I need the strength for the fight.

in an infinite regress just owls's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbuncle View Post

I called Paul Ryan's office today because he'd been soliciting survey opinions from people about the ACA.
    Were you able to take the survey? I just called and it went right to voicemail, but I left a message anyway.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Today, I am putting my own oxygen mask on. I have had a very emotionally difficult two days.

I have been asked to write a short play for two different festivals that are for political action, so i will be working on that this weekend, along with a new play I started that feels eerily timely.

I will also be attempting to get some real sleep. I need the strength for the fight.
    Self-care is such a valuable part of this fight. We need to maintain this fervent energy for at least two years - do what you need to to not burn out early.

fluid, affectionate, chaste, mature Carbuncle's Avatar
    Yeah - I should stress that it's okay not to do something every single day - we want you to stay engaged but not burn out after three weeks. It's more if you're stewing in bad news and you feel panicked, this is a way to blow off steam productively.

Owls - I think they took down the survey because they were flooded with calls from us, which is disappointing. You can still leave a voicemail expressing your opinion if you'd like!

^ How wonderful of them. I'm sure they weren't expecting to actually get many calls, or to get calls in support of it. I left a polite message, as hard as it was.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I want to do something and have a few tabs open, but I'm not sure what I want to do. I have time, but I need to find something that can either take remote help or is easy to get to, find parking. And I want to wait a LITTLE bit because I don't want to approach an organization that is swamped with new volunteers. A stupid thing I've been doing that really is not political related at all is taking surveys on Reddit. They're usually for HS or college kids completing a project, but I want my voice heard everywhere. I'm not some fringe demographic and not all white women voted for Cheeto Benito (my new favorite name). I need to make that known where it applies. Plus even when I do the non-politcal stuff, it feels nice to help someone out. Something to do while I do my research on where I want to focus my real time and energy.

Wrote an email to my Senators urging them to oppose Sessions. Going to do a lot of calls this weekend.

Another easy action item: call your representatives and ask them to support Rep. Clark's bill that would ensure Trump has to address his conflicts of interest.

More on the bill here.

This survey is going around. It's supposedly a survey for America to fill out so that Trump knows what to focus on. I can't tell if it's valid, though.

Quote Originally Posted by uncanny hats View Post
    This survey is going around. It's supposedly a survey for America to fill out so that Trump knows what to focus on. I can't tell if it's valid, though.

Pass the Clean Up Corruption in Washington Act in order to “drain the swamp” that has polluted our capital for decades.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I started filling it out but you have to put in an address and while I could make up one, I fear they'd throw it out. And I don't want to use my real one because I'd die of embarrassment getting propaganda in the mail.

Wow, doing that survey is just making my gut sink at how none of the priorities are what America needs right now. Too bad you can only put "not important" instead of "this is a terrible fucking idea".

Anyway I'm spending an hour today phonebanking for Foster Campbell, and so far everyone's been very nice on the phone!

Yesterday I attended the first meet-up of Pantsuit Nation of Central Florida. After the success of the original PSN on FB, (which is now up to what, 4 million members?) there was a Florida PSN page and then 2 Central Florida/Orlando groups were made and then merged a couple days later. This all happened very fast (with in 10 days) and I signed on to be a leader for the national group and the local group...because I'm crazy.
    It was wonderful to be around like minded people yesterday. Our first order of business was counseling. We had a professional talk to us about coping and then she took questions and concerns. There were tears and hugs and lots of love in that room. I should mention almost 100 people showed up! Then the next hour we got down to business and complied ideas from everyone on what they would like to see our group become and where we should focus the most. I was in charge of documenting all the ideas at the meeting and then today I got to work and condensed them into a better outline for us.
    And tomorrow night I have a conference call with national PSN group.

I just feel we'd be a fool to let this momentum slip away from us, so I'm doing all I can and THINGS ARE HAPPENING!

I highly recommend getting involved with your local group. Chapters of PSN have popped up all over the country and they welcome all. (We had several straight white males!) It's a work in progress right now as we are awaiting direction from the national level, but everyone local is motivated making plans already.

I've also started making those donations to PP and The Clinton Foundation in honor of my husbands family members who are Trumpers. FYI, I put their name in the "honor" section, but had it mailed to myself, so I receive the letter and can put the letter in their Xmas card and give to them in person.

Called Paul Ryan this morning and took the survey re: the ACA.

Copy/paste from a friend's Facebook:

For the millions of you that will lose your insurance if Obamacare is repealed please call Paul Ryan. It literally IS life and death for so many people. Paul Ryan is conducting a phone poll on the ACA (Obamacare), hoping to hear overwhelming popular opposition to it. If you would like to express your support for the Affordable Care Act, even with additional reforms, call (202) 225-3031 or (202) 225-0600. Both numbers connect variously to a voicemail or survey. Keep trying until you get the option you prefer. For the survey option, press 2 to weigh in on the issue. You'll hear a brief recording about HR-3762, Paul Ryan's proposal to gut the ACA, and President Obama's use of his veto power to stop it and provide health care for millions. Then, you will have a chance to indicate your opinion with the press of a button. Press 1 if you support Obamacare, 2 if you oppose it and prefer starting from scratch or using Ryan's alternative (please check the serious criticisms of it if you are unsure). Stay on if you get dead air. It could take up to a minute to connect to the survey. Copy and paste this, don't click share.

fluid, affectionate, chaste, mature Carbuncle's Avatar
    I took the survey as well - they took it down briefly, but I've heard from multiple people it is BACK UP AGAIN so if you want to participate, do! It's easy and you don't have to speak with human beings.

My history professor at Berkeley and my ex, the most intelligent person I know and a Stanford law student, both tell me Jeff Sessions is far more damaging an appointment than Steve Bannon. So I'm going to call my representatives today to register alarm with Jeff Sessions and ask them to denounce him as an enemy of civil rights and voting rights. How are we going to have another election if they keep closing down polling stations?