Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2017 Albums

Quote Originally Posted by beanstew View Post
    New video from Nadine.

Can't wait for the album! Fast Food is on heavy rotation in Beanstew Towers.

I love her on twitter too.

Loving the new single! Really looking forward to this album.

Her guitar parts often remind me of indie bands I listened to in the 80s

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    So finally, I haz a potential AOTY.

I want to write a big-ass review, but I'm on my iPhone until I get a new computer, and every time I try to write a long post, it gets eaten. So, I'll just throw this out.

Juliana Hatfield, Pussycat

Go!
    Is this is the Trump-era protest album we've all been waiting for?? IMO YES. I have always loved her socio-political lyrics, and combining them with wholesome '60s girl pop is like a stroke of genius without even trying. I'm living for the raunchy songs right now, especially "Sex Machine"... possibly the most unappealing, un-sexy song to ever carry that title. She sings "put your dick in the sex machine" in the most deadpan voice ever, and it sounds like a dare.

How I missed her!!

I discovered Max Richter's music after watching ARRIVAL
    He released some new work this year: Three Worlds, music inspired by Virginia Woolf-novels

Tips for listening:
    War anthem and Meeting again from the Mrs. Dalloway-tracks are highlights - so sad and so beautiful at the same time,
    Tuesday, the endtrack from "The Waves" is also stunning.
    The Orlando inspired tracks have more electronica, but are georgeous, too.

Oh, thank you so much for pointing this ^

It's sublime

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar

Tei Shi's Crawl Space is a delightful bit of bedroom electropop. Some of the deep cuts like "Justify" have a decidedly Björkish influence, while others like "Say You Do" sound almost Mariah Carey-esque.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Juliana Hatfield is my AOTY so far, if anything for the fact that it sounds like a 1995 album but it's about Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I discovered Max Richter's music after watching ARRIVAL
    He released some new work this year: Three Worlds, music inspired by Virginia Woolf-novels

Tips for listening:
    War anthem and Meeting again from the Mrs. Dalloway-tracks are highlights - so sad and so beautiful at the same time,
    Tuesday, the endtrack from "The Waves" is also stunning.
    The Orlando inspired tracks have more electronica, but are georgeous, too.
    Ohhhh, that passed me by completely! I love Max Richter!!! Thanks
    post28!

I've never read any Virginia Woolf and now I want to read Mrs. Dolloway and The Waves solely because of how that music made me feel. Its stunning.

^ I may not have the most objective opinion, as Virginia Woolf, along with Tori Amos, is the artist who has influenced me and shaped me as an individual the most (hello, username), but I think most of what she wrote is magical. She truly changed my life. I would say, however, that out of the two, Mrs. Dalloway is a better starting point than The Waves, if you are really interested. I would even read To the Lighthouse (which is, incidentally, my favorite) before moving onto The Waves. It serves as a nice midpoint between the two. So I'd say... Try Mrs. Dalloway. If you like that, move on to To the Lighthouse, and if you like that, move on to The Waves.

Getting back on topic, though: thank you, CC, so very much, for sharing that; I don't think I would have ever found out about it on my own, and it's a wonderful companion piece to her novels. I now have more music to add to Philip Glass' score for The Hours while reading Virginia.

ETA: OH. And Orlando is fantastic in its own way, but it is quite different in mood from the other two, and the music on here really captures that. For a "lighter" read, I'd say go for Orlando. Virginia's oft-ignored sense of humor pops up again and again in that one. And it's so lovely. That one really makes me happy.
    Last edited by jacob's room; Yesterday at 03:56 PM.

Dear guys, I am happy that you like the new Max Richter, too