Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: 2017 Albums

I want to give a shout out to an album I only just came across from earlier this year: Mary Casio: Journey to Cassiopeia by Hannah Peel. It's an instrumental album that I heard described thusly:

'Telling the enchanting story of an elderly stargazer from Barnsley who dreams of flying to outer space .... it's an intelligent marriage of orchestral and electronic sounds, bringing neon-tinged notes together with sweeping, wondrous chords from a 29-piece colliery brass band'

It's pretty marvellous.

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    ^ Yes! Hannah Peel is wonderful! If she's new to you do check out her previous solo release Awake but Always Dreaming from 2016 and her work with The Magnetic North particularly Prospect of Skelmersdale also from 2016.
    Last edited by beanstew; 11-28-2017 at 11:19 PM.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

as someone born and bred in the north of England, i'm loving all the Lancashire & Yorkshire references in her work!

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar

This is so unexpectedly good, a late entry into my top 10!! I did not care for her last album at all - posy wannabe-experimental dreck. By contrast, I had to check this new album a few times while it was playing to make sure I hadn't switched to Tove Lo's latest... it's practically top 40. Could it be quirkier? Sure, but it sounds so damn natural for her, like the music just sprung up around her as she was singing. I'll take a solid pop album over the forced experimentalism of... well, most of her previous work. (The only thing I really liked before this was Blood from a Stone, and only half the songs)

Arghhhh I keep discovering new 2017 albums that I'm loving and want to consider for my list.

Alex Lahey and Charly Bliss' debuts have made huge impressions on me.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    ALEX LAHEY FUCK YEAH she's on my list too

I have nothing to add except that "Backpack" has been very dear to my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Jennie Abrahamson - Reverseries
    So glad to see someone talk about her on here. Wonder if a thread would make sense :-)