Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Albums of the Year

I left off Human Ceremony by Sunflower Bean. I saw them live twice this year. Great band.

I think there is good music and bad music in every year. So I don't think 2016 was any worse or any better than any other year.

2016 was worth it for its fantastic pop releases alone - Carly Rae Jepsen, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Britney Spears, Ariana Grande, Gwen Stefani, Shura, Tegan and Sara, and JoJo all turned out solid albums, with a few of those being career bests.
    Last edited by Jake; 11-25-2016 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    2016 was worth it for its fantastic pop releases alone - Carly Rae Jepsen, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Britney Spears, Ariana Grande, Gwen Stefani, Shura, Tegan and Sara, and JoJo all turned out solid albums, with a few of those being career bests.
    For some reason, none of the big pop releases excited me this year. The only one of those I loved was Shura.
    My favorite releases this year are mostly in the indie rock/alternative genre.

Only knows desire. Perky Compson's Avatar
    Pop music was the worst for me. Beyonce, Rihanna and Carly Rae put out good albums. The rest was boring Drakecore, forgettable, or ill-conceived garbage a la Gaga. Even Tove Lo was a let down with her icy generic sophomore album that doesn't come close to Queen of the Clouds.

I'm hoping the Weeknd pulls a Hail Mary and saves this year from being a pop coma.

The Weeknd has one of the worst voices in music so I wouldn't rest my hopes on him for anything. I do agree about Tove Lo. It all sounds like one giant song.

I think Ariana will end up having my favorite pop record. It plays with genres, features her voice in compelling ways, and is the perfect snapshot of Millennial pop.

pummelled gall-nuts afloat in urine
    The bits of the Ariana Grande album that just consisted of her layering ad libs over like four chords were pretty great, though. As long as her voice works shes incapable of releasing entirely worthless music.

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    This year wasn't half as good as last year, anyway here's an arbitrary number of good albums:

The rest of the top whatever
    Meilyr Jones won the Welsh music prize

Love him. Love his album!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

pummelled gall-nuts afloat in urine
    WELL DESERVED.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    The Weeknd has one of the worst voices in music so I wouldn't rest my hopes on him for anything. I do agree about Tove Lo. It all sounds like one giant song.

I think Ariana will end up having my favorite pop record. It plays with genres, features her voice in compelling ways, and is the perfect snapshot of Millennial pop.
    The Weeknd's voice isn't great but as long as he keeps putting out hooks as good as "Party Monster" and "Starboy", I'll forgive his bleating and the fact that every single song he puts out is about how nihilistic partying leaves him a paranoid shell.

Ariana's album isn't bad, and I was bopping to "Be Alright" earlier today, but she always just feels like a conduit for the producers behind her. She's got a killer voice but there's not really any personality conveyed in the music. Plus, one of the singles is about getting such good dick you have to walk like a crab, and it has one of the shittiest Nicki verses put to tape, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post

Plus, one of the singles is about getting such good dick you have to walk like a crab, and it has one of the shittiest Nicki verses put to tape, so there's that.
    Which is exactly why I love it!

She's going to keep improving. At 23 and three albums in, it feels like she's in that in-between state of appealing to a tween audience and trying to figure out what she wants to say. She'll get there. And, she's the lead writer on "Be Alright" btw.
    Last edited by Jake; 11-25-2016 at 08:01 PM.

Oy, then she needs to work on putting herself into her music. It sounds like it could belong to anyone.

I do think she'll improve! I just don't think "she'll get better" qualifies a great album.

I think Roisin Murphy's Take Her Up To Monto is my album of the year 2016.

Yay, I was looking forward to this thread so I can track back on good stuff I've missed this year. This year in music was pretty okay, but nothing stellar has been released that I know will stay in heavy rotation after this year.
    I expect the higher region of my top 10 to include Bon Iver, Beyonce, Emma Ruth Rundle, Carly Rae Jepsen and Leonard Cohen.

Few observations so far:
    - I don't see as many mentions of Bon Iver as I thought!
    - Pop lovers: besides Carly, All Saints' Red Flag is the best goddamn pop album of the year. Go listen!
    - Funny, I found this Gaga release much more enjoyable that Artpop, with Perfect Illusion being the weakest track.
    - I wanted to like the new Kate Tempest more than I do. It's good, but not as immediate as Everybody Down.
    - I also thought I'd see more mentions of Radiohead!
    post28!

Heh. Lady Wood and Starboy are my favorite pop albums of the year, bar Lemonade. I wish Dangerous Woman and Glory were as cohesive as those two.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I never got around to my 2015 list, but I'm still stunned a year later at how good Patty Griffin's Servant Of Love is - definitely would have been my topper last time around. I'm a bit sad that nothing hit me quite that hard this year. There were some good ones - my Top 5 will no doubt include Sara Watkins, Rachael Yamagata and Jonatha Brooke. Rough year overall, though.

In its own way, Pele is the best thing to happen in 2016!
    Yes, none of my Stalwart Artists released anything of note this year.. no Tori, no Ani, no Patty, no Tracy, no Toni, no Tamar, no Jewel, no Kate, no Pink, no Bjork, no cohesive piece from Amanda Palmer, or Sufjan, no pop artists that excited me, no R&B artists that excited me this year.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush