Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Albums of the Year

# 1 Gallant - Ology - definitely my favorite / aka album I've been listening to practically constantly without getting tired of it this year

other favorites / frequently played:

Anderson Paak - Malibu
    Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman
    Barbra Streisand - Encore
    Beyoncé - Lemonade
    Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion Side B
    David Bowie - Blackstar
    Douglas Dare - Aforger
    Frank Ocean - Blonde
    Ice Choir - Designs in Rhythm
    Kate Bush - Before the Dawn
    Laura Gibson - Empire Builder
    Nao - For All We Know
    Ólafur Arnalds - Island Songs
    Perfume - Cosmic Explorer
    Shura - Nothing's Real
    Solange - A Seat at the Table
    Tori Amos - Boys for Pele (Deluxe)
    Utada Hikaru - Fantôme
    Zayn - Mind of Mine

I usually only manage a top 10 every year with a couple of honorable mentions--top 15 max. I don't get enough time to listen to and absorb new music as I would like--and it takes a while for me to absorb albums. For me, this year started off slow but ended up picking up nicely. There was a lot that I ended up enjoying.

I can't comment on a lot of pop releases people have been mentioning--I haven't heard the Ariana, JoJo, Tove Lo, or Roisin Murphy records. That said, I think there's been a lot of GREAT R&B music this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post

I can't comment on a lot of pop releases people have been mentioning--I haven't heard the Ariana, JoJo, Tove Lo, or Roisin Murphy records. That said, I think there's been a lot of GREAT R&B music this year.
    If you like R&B, definitely check out JoJo's album. It's a great mix of R&B, pop, soul. Her voice is out of this world. Ariana's has some nice R&B moments but it's jumps genres (yet still manages to stay cohesive, in my opinion). Both are worth it if you're open-minded to pop music!

Have you heard NAO? Her album will absolutely make my year end list, probably top 3. "Bad Blood" is one of my favorite songs from it, and the video is incredible.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    A lot of the music I listened to in 2016 came out in late 2015.
    "Washing Machiiiiiine" - Kate Bush

Hmmmm. See, I have this thing where I will obsessively listen to something over a week and think it's BRILLIANT then stop (see: Tove Lo's latest) and not feel the urge to hear it for a long time, and if you asl me an opinion on it I'll be all "meh."

Do I count these as personal AOTY due to lfirst opinion or do I pick the ones I know I'll still listen to next year, like James Blake. Tori Amos, Kate Bush...

Shura, Bowie and Beyoncé. That's all for me.

Was hoping to add Gaga to that list but it didn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    A lot of the music I listened to in 2016 came out in late 2015.

The same thing happened to me, music that I discovered late. Like Gin Wigmore's "Blood To Bone". That's a kick ass album, but it was released last year. I still have to check what of what listened this year was actually released on 2016
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

I actually thought this was a pretty great year for music. My Top Ten will be very strong. One album, though, is far and away the best.

There's still a lot I want to hear.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

I am still listening to stuff....I had the attention span of a gnat this year, and this year was lackluster for me music wise. 2015 was a VERY high bar and this was not quite up to snuff.

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    my "best songs" list is coming together very easily because there were a lot of random tracks i loved, but in terms of new full albums these were the only ones that stuck with me..so a top 5 i guess:

Beyonce - Lemonade
    Bon Iver - 22, A Million
    Shura - Nothing's Real
    Rihanna - ANTI
    Angel Olsen - My Woman

ETA: two more late-in-the-year discoveries for me that are now in heavy rotation:

Anderson .Paak - Malibu
    Mitski - Puberty 2

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    2016 was actually a great year for music for me. Here is my list:

01 David Bowie - Blackstar - I could write an encyclopedia on this album. When it was released on his birthday I thought it was an extraordinary and groundbreaking album. Days later after his death it became legendary. A fitting end to a brilliant man and an amazing career.
    Key Tracks: Blackstar, Lazarus

02 Leonard Cohen - You Want it Darker - Another legend’s farewell album. It stands up there with his best work. It is a short and compact album with no filler.
    Key Tracks: You Want it Darker, Traveling Light

03 case/lang/veirs - s/t - Probably my most listened to album this year. I’m most familiar with Neko Case, but her voice blends so wonderfully with the other two women. I’ve started to appreciate their voices and songwriting more.
    Key Tracks: Atomic Number, Best Kept Secret, Supermoon, I Want to Be Here, Georgia Stars

04 Nick Cave - Skeleton Tree - A lot of facing mortality on this list. It is a devastating album to listen to. It is probably the rawest album I’ve ever experienced.
    Key Tracks: Girl in Amber, I Need You

05 Kate Bush - Before the Dawn - It is great to have some soundboard audio to document such a spectacular show. The live band adds some muscle to these tunes
    Key Tracks: King of the Mountain, Prologue, Sunset

06 ANOHNI - Hopelessness - Interesting concept of merging politics and pop. Very disorienting to hear. Some really great melodies here.
    Key Tracks: Execution, Why Did You Separate Me from the Earth?

07 Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression - An Iggy album that is worthy to stand with his older classics. It definitely could hold its own next to The Idiot and Lust for Life. This will most likely be his last album so it is great to see him go out on a high note.
    Key Tracks: American Valhalla, Sunday

08 Mavis Staples - Living on a High Note - I adore her. In a year with so much misery this album has been a source of light. It is a complete joy to listen to.
    Key Tracks: Love and Trust, High Note, History, Now

09 Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool - I really wasn’t ready for a new Radiohead album. I was pleasantly surprised with this album. The mix of acoustic guitar and electronics works well. It isn’t their best, but it is a solid effort.
    Key Tracks: Burn the Witch, Identikit

10 Wild Beasts - Boy King - A fun album by a great band. It grew off of me slightly, but from time to time it is fun to return to.
    Key Tracks: Big Cat, Get My Bang, Celestial Creatures

Honorable Mentions
    Daughter - Not to Disappear
    Frank Ocean -Blonde
    Beyonce - Lemonade
    Chance the Rapper - Coloring Book
    Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered.

Every year is a great year for new music, and I'm gonna do a list, but I wanted to come in here and say that Cashmere by Swet Shop Boys is the best album of the year and I will brook no argument. If you've not heard it yet, go do that now.

Also, I've not listened to Lemonade at all, but A Seat at the Table is awesome.

My list, let me show you it.

1) Beyoncé - Lemonade
    Hardly original, I know, but she did deliver something special here. Quite the way to hang out the dirty laundry… I was never a big fan of her previous album; overlong and not that diverse. Lemonade fixes both those issues with its 12 very distinctive tracks. And hey: concept album meets visualettes, sounds familiar?
    Key tracks: Hold up, Daddy Lessons, Formation.

2) Leonard Cohen - You want it darker
    How strange, I never delved into his material but this one really clicked with me. Melodic, dark, fantastic gospel-style backing vocals. And then he suddenly passed away and gave the album a whole different meaning and weight. “I’m ready my lord’.
    Key tracks: You want it darker, On the level, Steer your Way

3) Bon Iver - 22, a million
    Bon Iver does a Kid A! From the artwork to the weird songtitles. Of course it’s very easy to say it’s pretentious (and hey, you might be right). However, if the music lives up to it, I don’t mind. From serene to chaotic soundscapes, but always fantastically layered and produced. 8 (circle) is certainly one of the best songs released this year.
    Key tracks: 22 (over soon), 29 #strafford APTS, 8 (Circle)

4) Emma Ruth Rundle - Marked for Death
    Thank you UNF, for I wouldn’t have heard about her otherwise. I have a soft spot for that 90’s flavoured rock stuff and this delivers in spades. Guitars that remind me of the Pumpkins, and a voice that fits those guitars like woah. To all those ‘female singer songwriters’ lovers, this is essential listening.
    Key tracks: Marked for death, Medusa, Heaven. Ah fuck it, the whole thing.

5) Radiohead - Moon Shaped Pool
    What can you say, it’s another solid collection of songs. Much more consistent than King of Limbs, though maybe not as, what’s the word, adventurous? It’s the most organic sounding sounding album they’ve released in a while, gone are the almost signature trippy beats and effects. Luckily, because they became a tad predictable to be honest.
    Key tracks: Burn the With (that video!!), Identikit, Ful Stop

6) Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion Side B
    I love good pop music. Robin’s Bodytalk is one of my top 10 albums and each year I’m hoping for something that gives me that same buzz… This year simply was not the best pop-year, luckily Carly Rae Jepsen had some killer left-overs to scratch that itch. Why she’s not a bigger succes worldwide will never cease to amaze me.
    Key tracks: Higher, Fever, Body Language

7) Ray LaMontagne - Ouroboros
    I love Ray’s voice, so It’s not hard for me to fall in love with each album he puts out. It’s big and sprawling, each song fades into the next one (ouroboros is the worm that bites its own tail, so the structure of the album is not an accident) with more room for instrumental parts. It’s almost like he wanted to do a Pink Floyd after doing a Beach Boys with his previous album.
    Key tracks: Homecoming, The Changing Man, Wouldn’t it make a lovely photograph

8) All Saints - Red Flag
    Sue me I love it. Little Mix who?
    Key tracks: One Strike, One Woman Man, Red Flag, Pieces

9) Kate Tempest - Let them eat chaos
    I can’t not list this, can I? Everybody Down turned out to be the album from 2014 that stuck with me the most and I still listen to it quite a lot. While on an artistic level, this may even be better, it’s less easy to listen to. More Spoken Word-y, sometimes too much for my taste. But she knows how to get a message across; god damn it’s dark and bleak as fuck!
    Key Tracks: Ketamine for breakfast, We Die, Don’t Fall In

10) Wakey!Wakey! - Overreactivist
    Most of you will probably not see the appeal, it’s a bit coldplay-ish, but I played the hell out of a handfull of songs this year so I had to mention it. So even though the whole album may not be that solid all the way through, most of it is just SO much fun to blast out loud in your car or while cooking and singing along to. Also, if you like those big building string sections, this is where to get them!
    Key tracks: Heartbroke, Golden, Homeless Poets
    post28!

2016 in music was wonderfully varied for me, especially in lieu of some of my usual suspects either releasing albums of note or releasing anything at all. It was also a year of curveballs and surprises. Angel Olsen knocked my damned socks right off, Bat for Lashes put me to sleep, Lady Gaga cemented herself as just not really that good in spite of the now certified anomaly The Fame Monster, PJ Harvey didn't make my top 5 and barely made my top 10, Solange made a better album than Beyonce (by a sliver), and, in a year of markedly significant works politically and socially, an album that strives less for importance and more for simple sonic pleasure made my number 1. Most importantly, in a year of monumental upsets both nationally and globally, these albums pulled me through and made everything a little more manageable. I'm also ashamed to admit that I never got around to listening to Cohen's You Want It Darker. More out of fear of it crushing me into a million pieces. I'll get there, though.

1. Bad Bad Not Good - IV
    2. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here…
    3. Bon Iver - 22, A Million
    4. Angel Olsen - My Woman
    5. David Bowie - Blackstar
    6. Frank Ocean - Blonde
    7. Childish Gambino - "Awaken, My Love!"
    8. Solange - A Seat at the Table
    9. Y La Bamba - Ojos Del Sol
    10. PJ Harvey - Hope 6 Demolition Project

11. Beyonce - Lemonade
    12. School of Seven Bells - SVIIB
    13. Nick Cave - Skeleton Tree
    14. Mitski - Puberty 2