11 28.21%
  • The Ninth Wave

12 30.77%
  • A Sky Of Honey

16 41.03%

Thread: Before the Dawn - Poll Of Acts

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar

Question Before the Dawn - Poll Of Acts

WHICH? There are three. Encore doesn't count.
    Last edited by other pete; 12-08-2016 at 03:42 PM.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    A Sky of Honey for sure for me. The songs have so much more muscle and are more powerful.

CAWW CAWWWW I'M A BIRDDDD

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar

Unhappy

F this, what an impossible choice!!

I adore every second of this. Even the skits, because it at least helps me visualize the production in my head. The sound & mixing is great too. With that many instruments on stage, a live recording can be tricky. A few parts were a little bass-y but nothing major. When it's good, it's transcendent.

Most played faves

The Ninth Wave was a dream come true so it must be that.
    They say you were something in those formative years...

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I'm not a big fan of The Ninth Wave in its live incarnation. It was fun to watch, but I've been mostly skipping over it on the live album. I don't like the literalness of it. The album version is incredible and peerless, and works so well as a suite because it sets up its story before delving into dark psycho-dream prog rock. I don't like how the Before The Dawn version tethers itself down with those badly written scenes and interludes. It makes it more like Jeff Wayne's 'The War of the Worlds' (which I love) than 'The Dark Side of the Moon'. And a track like Jig of Life is always going to be better in studio form. I feel like 'A Sky of Honey' was written for the stage. It works so well and sounds absolutely stunning. I'd probably take it over the album version on most days. The opening set is also brilliant and I remember being so surprised by how turbo-charged it was, particularly since the last we'd heard from her before that was 50 Words for Snow, which was so mellow.

My vote goes to Sky of Honey.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Yeah to be fair, the Ninth Wave sounds like something I would enjoy watching more. There's absolutely nothing wrong with any of it, but I'm not often compelled to go back to these versions of Under Ice, Watching You or Jig of Life.

If I had to choose, it would be the opening set & the encore. Even with Sky of Honey, I feel like I'm missing a lot of the experience. The "greatest hits" parts of course, didn't have that, so those are the most enjoyable songs for the most part (imo)

#teambertie

It's between the opening set and A Sky of Honey for me as well.
    Yes we've talked about King of the Mountain (and I agree!) but can we also talk about how great Joanni is live!

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
    It's between the opening set and A Sky of Honey for me as well.
    Yes we've talked about King of the Mountain (and I agree!) but can we also talk about how great Joanni is live!
    oh yes, my two fav tracks on there

The fist disc is the stunner for me. I think that might be because I expected The Ninth Wave and Sky of Honey suites to be sublime, but some of those individual songs in the first act had never been as meaningful to me as to others. Listening to Top of the City for the first time since the concert sent chills down my spine. That song has a whole new meaning for me now. Lily was fabulous as well. "Who's on the left? Who's on the right?!!!" Even a song like King of the Mountain, which seems kind of "meh" at best, had a whole new meaning with the addition of the bullroarer to whip up the storm.

While Prologue is probably the highlight for me it's the first act I've been listening to most. Only Running Up That Hill sounds a bit dull and basic, all the other tracks are excellent. Top Of The City and Never Be Mine are just achingly beautiful. The second act I find quite patchy but almost every track in act three are superior to the studio versions

Top of the City was a highlight for the concert too, I always thought it was a love song to London, and the atmosphere of it is nailed in the CD as I remember.

I'm just listening to BTD now. (I know, I know.) But i'm loving this!! Joanni and Top of the City especially have so many dynamics going on that they sound really fleshed out. And I absolutely LOVE her voice! Its so smooth but still so expressive. Never Be Mine is a revelation!