Thread: A new Play-by-forum?

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar

A new Play-by-forum?

It has been a while, anyone up for another Play-by-forum boardgame? Any ideas? Pls share.

Resistance: Avalon (social deception) and Flash Point: Fire Rescue (co-op) are of course ready to go, as some of us played it before and I've got all the materials / visuals ready to go.
    Never forget all the fun we've had

But here are some other ideas I'm more than willing to set-up / mod;

Panic Station

Type: Social deception, Co-op
    Players: 4-6
    Mod can play: No
    Complexity: High
    Preparation needed; A lot
    Players explore an abandonded space station in an attempt to burn down an alien nest, but very soon one of them becomes infected with an alien queen. Moving in secrecy, the infected person slowly tries to infect other players / turn them over to the dark side.

Small World

Type: Competitive
    Players: 2-5
    Mod can play: Yes, if trusted with randomization
    Complexity: High
    Preparation needed; A lot
    This is like Risk, only without the dice, and set in a fantasy world full of hilarious races with interesting powers.

Adrenaline

Type: Competitive
    Players: 3-5
    Mod can play: Yes, if trusted with randomization
    Complexity: Medium, but easy to learn
    Preparation needed; Moderate
    A few intergalactic warriors run around a confined space, picking up interesting big guns (or a chainsaw) and trying to shoot each other in the face. It is very balanced, and you can never die as you'll immediately respawn upon being killed, ready for revenge.

Lord of the Rings

Type: Co-op
    Players; 2-5
    Mod can play; No
    Complexity: Medium
    Preparation needed; a lot
    Frodo Baggins, Samwise Gamgee, Peregrin Took, Meriadoc Brandybuck and Fredegar Bolger set out on a mission to throw a certain ring into Mount Doom. Working their way through Bree, Moria, Isengard, Helm's Deep, Shelob's Lair and Mordor, this brutal co-op game from '00 features artwork by John Howe, and thus predates the movies, it is a pure Tolkien experience in that regard.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

I suck at play-by-forum but can add that Adrenaline is heaps of fun!
    post28!

^ yeah, it is definitely my favorite boardgame of 2016!

I am horrifically nerdy enough to want to play the LOTR one, but Smallworld has produced the most fun I've had playing a boardgame in forever.

Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    I am horrifically nerdy enough to want to play the LOTR one, but Smallworld has produced the most fun I've had playing a boardgame in forever.
    Small World I *think* can be done, as it is nearly all non-random open information. The only thing that is difficult though is the "Final Conquest" phase of a turn, as we have no way of throwing a "virtual dice" in here. In a normal translation to a forum, a turn would look like this I guess;

- First conquests - No Random Events
    - Ready for final conquest - Random Number needs to be assigned and published by mod
    - Final conquest

Some races will be a pain to play with like this, like the Will-O-Wisps or the Pygmees, as they often use dice.
    Anyroad, I'll look into it! (any suggestions for dice-throwing arer welcome!).

I found a website that had time stamps when you roll a dice, which would make cheating harder. Just print screen and upload to imgur, or something.

^ Is the time stamp in text or image?
    A body would still need to post up until final conquest, then roll, then post again with the timestamp.

https://rolz.org/join there's this too, where we can have a chatroom/dice room that records everything.

^ Yep, I used it for Flash Point (though I think no one really checked up on me BLIND TRUST). Doh it would really work.