Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl Half Time Show 2017

I thought it was damn near perfect, and a guns-blazing reminder of why I fell in love with her during The Fame Monster era. Honestly, one of the absolute best half-time shows I've seen.
    My photo blog: polaroidsf

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Agreed- I was very impressed with her performance. I couldn't ask for more. I think that is the general consensus.

Long-time Lurker
    It was definitely Old School Gaga, who I had been missing. Such a great performance!

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    yeah, it reminded me of back in 2009 when EVERYBODY loved Gaga. reminded me of when I saw her during the Monster Ball in December 2009, so just a couple weeks after the Fame Monster was released and i'd say she was at her absolute peak. the show was at the Wang Theater in Boston and even before she came out, even on a tuesday night, the audience was just SO fucking amped up..they were playing Michael Jackson before she came out and people were dancing in the aisles of the theater. the entire show was so good but i'll never forget what it was like when she did Bad Romance as the final song of the encore/the night. it seriously felt like the entire balcony was gonna come crashing down, people were just losing their minds, experiencing pure joy...it was like they were levitating. absolutely one of the best concert experiences of my life...i'll never forget it.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Apparently it was well received. 8 of the top 21 albums on US iTunes are Lady Gaga right now. And 8 of the Top 23 songs.

That makes me happy for her.

I think my favorite Half Time show in recent memory was Madonna's in 2012 when she entered on that giant Egyptian barge. Totally had me engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    yeah, it reminded me of back in 2009 when EVERYBODY loved Gaga. reminded me of when I saw her during the Monster Ball in December 2009, so just a couple weeks after the Fame Monster was released and i'd say she was at her absolute peak. the show was at the Wang Theater in Boston and even before she came out, even on a tuesday night, the audience was just SO fucking amped up..they were playing Michael Jackson before she came out and people were dancing in the aisles of the theater. the entire show was so good but i'll never forget what it was like when she did Bad Romance as the final song of the encore/the night. it seriously felt like the entire balcony was gonna come crashing down, people were just losing their minds, experiencing pure joy...it was like they were levitating. absolutely one of the best concert experiences of my life...i'll never forget it.
    I had the exact same experience at Monster Ball at Radio City... the balcony was pounding like a earthquake. It was amazing. For those reasons, watching this half-time show was a heady burst of nostalgia (especially given that all the songs seemed to have large chunks of their old choreography), but like all nostalgia, also somewhat sad... I do wonder whether she'll hit that artistic pinnacle again. I also could have done without Telephone, it made me think that Beyonce was going to come out. That said, her spidery movements while descending were adorable, as was her football catching leap at the end. I've missed that humor in her recent work.

What was that piece of debris that fell during telephone? Why did she have her discostick, yet not do Lovegame? How much training did the audience get to be so coordinated? So many questions.

I love the conservatives on Twitter last night: "Gaga didn't get political. Other artists, take note! We don't care about your political views, just perform." Oh, you dumb fucking twats. It was absolutely political, you're just too thick to see it.

She performed a Woody Guthrie song while red (Republican) and blue (Democrat) drones clashed behind her, before uniting to form an American flag. She recited a portion of the pledge, emphasizing "liberty and justice for all." She hugged a dark-skinned girl while singing "Why don't you stay?" She sang Born This Way which, clunky or not, contains lyrics that have probably never been uttered at a Super Bowl performance broadcast from Texas to millions of rural, conservative households.

You don't have to scream "FUCK TRUMP" to say it anyway. I saw a lot of critics last night saying she didn't do enough to make a statement, but I don't agree with that. She kept it classy and spread a message of unity and inclusiveness without going for shock or controversy.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    It was absolutely political, you're just too thick to see it.

She performed a Woody Guthrie song while red (Republican) and blue (Democrat) drones clashed behind her, before uniting to form an American flag. She recited a portion of the pledge, emphasizing "liberty and justice for all." She hugged a dark-skinned girl while singing "Why don't you stay?" She sang Born This Way which, clunky or not, contains lyrics that have probably never been uttered at a Super Bowl performance broadcast from Texas to millions of rural, conservative households.

You don't have to scream "FUCK TRUMP" to say it anyway. I saw a lot of critics last night saying she didn't do enough to make a statement, but I don't agree with that. She kept it classy and spread a message of unity and inclusiveness without going for shock or controversy.
    Yes to all of this. I thought the same thing. And I agree with you- I think she really handled the show in the best way possible.

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    Totally agree with everything Ryan said too. I feel like it's easy to forget that Gaga is not even 10 years into her career yet...people take it for granted just how much of an impact she's had on pop culture during that time. A big gay song like Born This Way being sung on the Super Bowl of all events in such a joyous, celebratory way is a huge deal.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I love the conservatives on Twitter last night: "Gaga didn't get political. Other artists, take note! We don't care about your political views, just perform." Oh, you dumb fucking twats. It was absolutely political, you're just too thick to see it.
    Personally I've never known a conservative to be noteworthy for his or her ability to comprehend subtlety or nuance.

Quote Originally Posted by dAmION View Post
    I think my favorite Half Time show in recent memory was Madonna's in 2012 when she entered on that giant Egyptian barge. Totally had me engaged.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Personally I've never known a conservative to be noteworthy for his or her ability to comprehend subtlety or nuance.

Definitely agree with Ryan. And I thought it was awesome and badass that she didn't have a single guest show up. I reaaaaaally don't like guests in this type of show. I don't care if it pulls in more viewers, it just comes off as desperate and tacky to me. Plus it takes away from the main artist's star power.

I don't care for A Million Reasons, but I knew that the latest album would have to be represented somehow. Oh well.

But my absolute favorite part was her so-called belly!!! First of all... Wtf, people!?!??!? Can that even be considered a "belly"!? Because if it can, then most people are hypocritical porkers for criticizing her. Anyway, she has a perfectly normal, beautiful body and I love that she showed it off! I'm tired of all this chiseled abs Hollywood bullshit where people have to dedicate half their life to getting a body part just right. I'm not saying people shouldn't eat healthy nor exercise, but I think people's bodies are different and sometimes it may not be possible to get a certain body type.

And even though I'm a hardcore (pre-American Life) Madonna fan, I have to admit that Gaga blew her half-time show out of the water. The dancing and choreography was dazzling. Lady Gaga was full of energy, whereas Madonna sometimes looked limp and relied more heavily on her back-up dancers. Plus there was no LMFAO, no try-hard "world peace" text, no flipping of the bird and no Gimme All Your Luvin. Granted, I also think that Madonna's show perfected the blueprint that all of the following half-time shows have followed.

I'm kind of curious as to where the half-time shows go from here. They've pretty much featured all the legends and big-name, spectacle-heavy stars that are tv-friendly. It's not like they can feature Marilyn Manson nor Peaches. My guess is that we'll see more collaborations moving forward, but it won't be the same

I'd love to see Pink do it at some point