Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Five Questions

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar

Five Questions

Things you'd love to know. Assumes she's being open and honest and not talking in crazy circles and giving non-answers that fly around for 17 hours but never reach any sort of destination. I have tons, but will start with these (in no particular order):

1- Why was Garlands left off The Beekeeper?
    2- The album cover for Midwinter Graces - what is that?
    3- How many songs have been completely written and recorded over the years that fans have never heard?
    4- One song she is especially proud of as a completed piece of music?
    5- Following the experience of The Light Princess, at this point in her career, would she prefer to write music for other voices, if there were sufficiently interesting opportunities to keep her busy doing it?

1- Yes, WHAT THE FUCK is that thing in the cover of MG.
    2- Yes, how many songs are there that we haven't heard yet.
    3- What is specifically the thing that she didn't like about the studio version of Siren? How did she wanted it to be like?
    4- If she could do an album of duets, who would she choose? (with living people, I don't want her to say John Lennon)
    5- What does husband think about her working with another guitar players musicians?
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

1. Why do none of your post-2002 albums match up to the production quality of the previous ones, even though you produced them all yourself?
    2. Why are you so averse to working with other musicians and producers?
    3. What was really going on with you in 2008/09?
    4. Is the Amos-family-band just a one time thing or is this the standard going forward?
    5. Aside from the remasters, have you ever through to revisit your older material when working on something new to see how it stands up to your back catalogue?
    ~just an underwater thing~

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    3- What is specifically the thing that she didn't like about the studio version of Siren? How did she wanted it to be like?
    ?
    I love this question! That is very interesting.

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    1. In Oysters you sing "I'm working my way back to me again" -- was there a specific album or era in particular where you felt like you had lost your way?
    2. What happened with Caton?
    3. Are there any unreleased songs from the Choirgirl era?
    4. What happened with you, Courtney Love and Trent?
    5. Which songs in your catalog are you most proud of? Any that might surprise people?

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    1.) We know your history at the Peabody and you're known for your playing style but what about your voice? When did you know you could carry a tune good enough to record music?
    2.) What was your brother like? What is your fondest memory of him? You never talk about him.
    3.) What exactly is a Giant's Rolling Pin?
    4.) Does it bother you that more popular artists don't cover your work?
    5.) Will you please come back to Louisville?
    Gone. When hope is almost gone, you know that's the time we must stand strong --
    Every girl in every band- Every cosmic cowboy in the land -to the Earth will you show mercy?

1. What made you feel the need to go so heavily into botox and plastic surgery?
    2. What album do you think is your best in terms of artistic expression and gravity?
    3. You used orchestral elements and arrangements in the majority of your early work, why did you largely take a break from that from 2002 to 2011?
    4. What song is your favorite to play in concert?
    5. Has Tash had any influence in the compositional part of your artistic process?

1. Can I borrow a lighter?
    2. What do you mean "Why did you just set my husbands guitar on fire?" I'm asking the questions here
    3. What's for dinner? / What wine are we having with it?
    4. Do you mind if I touch the piano?
    5. You didn't really have to call the police now, did you?

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    1. According to an interview, you said that your husband said your writing was "getting really good" but you needed to stop being a victim. Seeing the impact your music has had, can you honestly say that your earlier music was writing from a victimhood standpoint? Did that impact your decisions later on?

(I would never have the balls to ask that, but I want to know)

2. What caused the end of your relationship with Steve Caton, who had been such a constant up until 2005?

3. If you had to pick, what song of yours do you think is least successful, and why? It doesn't have to be a song you dislike necessarily, just a song where you had a clear intention and did not execute it.

4. What drew you to work in the theater, and do you think the collaborative nature of theater had a positive impact on your music? For example, did it open you up to the possibility of an outside producer or musicians you have never worked with before?

5. Do you ever have writer's block, and when you do, how do you manage it?

(Inspired by the Beekeeper thread going on)

Matt Chamberlain had expressed surprised with the final recorded version of General Joy, indicating that it was going in very different directions in the studio. What did it sound like originally? How and why did it evolve to the version we know from The Beekeeper record?

Oh, another one I have wondered many times:

Do I accurately detect a hint 'sexy cold voice' in Beulah Land?

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
    1. Can I borrow a lighter?
    2. What do you mean "Why did you just set my husbands guitar on fire?" I'm asking the questions here
    3. What's for dinner? / What wine are we having with it?
    4. Do you mind if I touch the piano?
    5. You didn't really have to call the police now, did you?
    !
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

This is a great thread idea! These are kinda bitchy, but whatevs:

1) You had a major image and sound change around Scarlet's Walk in 2002. Other than motherhood, can you explain this change from the confessional, alternative LE - BFP, and the experimental and dark FTCH - SLG - - - - - to the 180 degree change to the more AC sound of TBK, ADP, AATS, and MWG? In addition to your music moving from rough to smooth and polished, your look also moved from rough and carefree to primped and polished. Care to explain?

2) You often mention the muses being the essense of your Girls. Can you explain why the muses used to inspire you to write complex songs that were complex in melodic structure with poetic lyrics, while since 2002, the lyrics are simpler and more mainstream often with a verse/chorus song structure? One example is Take Me With You. At the Victor & Rolf show in 2005 you played a structurally complex song with striking poetic lyrics. The released version of the song was much simpler. Why did you change the lyric "Jackals" to "Rabbits" for instance and simplify the song structure so much?

3) Have you noticed that your last several albums have not changed much in sound/ideas compared to your first 6-7 albums (LE - SW)? Would you consider working with other producers and musicians? Why or why not?

4) Your daughter Natashya has been on a number of albums. When will this stop? Or do you really want her to become a pop star?

5) You improvise quite a bit live in concert. Would you consider releasing an album (perhaps between regular albums) that is largely improvised / raw as sort of a gift to your fans to understand your process of writing?
    Last edited by Beelust; 02-28-2017 at 06:53 PM.
    Robbing the muse...

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    4) Your daughter Natashya has been on a number of albums. When will this stop? Or do you really want her to become a pop star?
    This one applies to Husband too, but I would change "a pop star" for "the next Max Martin".
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Oh, please. He's the next Dr. Luke at best.