Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eurovision 2017: Celebrate Diversity (with balls)

That's one helluva rant, Dolls! (I still like the Wiktoria song, but know it won't go through.)

More people watch Melofest then they do Eurovision in Sweden, if this explains anything. It's a bit of a national event.

Also, why do the NL like sending countryish songs?

Quote Originally Posted by soignee View Post
    Also, why do the NL like sending countryish songs?
    Ugh. Don't get me started. I really don't know, because it's not as if there's a big country scene in The Netherlands. Popular Dutch music is basically either something that you could compare to Swedish schlager, or rock-ish bands. Of course we have some hip hop and pop acts and we love to export DJs like Afrojack and Armin van Buuren, but we don't really have a large Dutch pop scene. Not the way that Sweden or the UK or the US do. There are some exceptions, of course. But the scene isn't huge. Even when we do make pop, it's usually not straightforward pop, but slightly leaning towards indie (Eefje de Visser), hip hop (I am Aisha) or some other genre. There is no Dutch equivalent for Kylie Minogue, Justin Timberlake or Beyoncé.

Also, in Holland, Eurovision is kind of looked down upon. The main USP of Dutch culture is something that best translates to 'if you act completely normal, you're already acting crazy enough', therefor Dutch viewers see Eurovision as something over the top, camp, not really to be taken seriously. Except of course when we were #2 all of a sudden. But most artists wouldn't want to be caught dead at Eurovision, whereas I get the impression that in certain other countries it's a slightly more prestigious event? It was taken a bit more seriously back when there was still an orchestra involved, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by dollsbitches View Post
    Also, in Holland, Eurovision is kind of looked down upon. The main USP of Dutch culture is something that best translates to 'if you act completely normal, you're already acting crazy enough', therefor Dutch viewers see Eurovision as something over the top, camp, not really to be taken seriously. Except of course when we were #2 all of a sudden. But most artists wouldn't want to be caught dead at Eurovision, whereas I get the impression that in certain other countries it's a slightly more prestigious event? It was taken a bit more seriously back when there was still an orchestra involved, I think.
    I think that's the deal in the UK too, sorta kinda. I know it's seen as a "your career is dead what's the harm" comeback for older artists, as well as "we're scraping you out of performing arts school as you have no name" level of young artist as well.

Having watched Melofest for 6ish years now, I am beginning to get a little bit unfazed by it. I am recognising not only artists that come back every year, but even writers and back up dancers. (My partner has a crush on a large, gangly limbed dancer who always seems to steal the show in whatever dance routine he's in. I am tempted to stalk the poor bastard online and ask for a headshot or something, so we can frame it.)

Melodifestivalen is a proper little industry, a lot of money is poured into it due to the popularity it has in Sweden. OK, some artists will scrape the dizzy heights of performing in Skansen on TV (and that's about it) but for some reason it's not as looked down on as it is in the UK. I argue with my partner about this, he says Swedish people think it's as tacky and naff as the UK/NL etc see Eurovision, but I really disagree, Melofest dominates the month it's on.

If Melodifestivalen were small and looked down upon, they wouldn't turn it into 6 shows.

Quote Originally Posted by dollsbitches View Post
    If Melodifestivalen were small and looked down upon, they wouldn't turn it into 6 shows.
    exactly right, or send the heartthrobs that 14 year old girls loose their shit over.

They've done a nice round up of all the entries so far:

France is still my favourite, sounds like a Stromae song.

This guy HAS TO win Melodifestivalen. The song is good and he's gorgeous. But they can't say "fucking" on Eurovision, right?
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

it'll be changed to freaking IIRC, like it is on Spotify.

I am not sure I like the swearing, it's 2edgy4me. Seems like it's swearing for swearing's sake, like that I Don't Give A song. Swearing should a delicious seasoning in lyrics, rather than underpin the entire thing.

Also one of the dancers in that Bengtsson video is the one my partner has a crush on, it's the tall one who seems to really fucking love his job

Also one of the dancers in that Bengtsson video is the one my partner has a crush on, it's the tall one who seems to really fucking love his job
    The blonde one who has the crotch shot at the end of the 2nd verse?

^That guy is hot.

The more I listen to that song, the more I like it. I hope he wins.

digndingding. Winner!

Yep, it's crotch shot guy. I really need to stalk him now.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post

This guy HAS TO win Melodifestivalen. The song is good and he's gorgeous. But they can't say "fucking" on Eurovision, right?
    OH LOOK IT WON

*sniff* our favourite treadmill dancer and his lovely crotch are going to Ukraine. And I guess Bengtsson is too!

The crotch. I hope the crotch wins.

I was really, REALLY expecting that Montenegro's entry was the bizarre stuff this year, but it's actually very... Normal. It's a guy with a long braid and some weird choreography. I expected more. And the song sucks.

OH LOOK IT WON

*sniff* our favourite treadmill dancer and his lovely crotch are going to Ukraine. And I guess Bengtsson is too!
    Not unless the guy can sing; you can only have a maximum of 6 people. If he wants to keep the 4 dancers, they will also have to sing (or like 2 of them), because Robin's definitely not going to make it with only 1 backing vocalist.

Meanwhile Iceland ignored the REALLY COOL SONG that would have finally made them stand out, and decided to send someone stupid (to clarify, the link is to the song I like, not to the song that went through):

(this one came in second)

Also, I'm going to vote for this song:

And Re: Montenegro: for a country where it's absolutely horrible to live as a gay person, I'm glad they're sending such a masc4masc type of guy.
    Last edited by dollsbitches; 03-11-2017 at 10:33 PM. Reason: waitressboy beat me to it!

I loved that Iceland song!

Also France fucked around with my favourite entry this year, and it sounds bad. The nice Stromae vibes it had have been washed away with an English chorus and awful, cheap beats put over the top. Grrr.

ETA: Macedonia is a banger, sounds like something Halsey would do. If this was in the background of Topshop I wouldn't be walking out, anyway.

The Icelandic entry this year is really crappy. I really thought Daðy would win, because the song is cool and his aesthetic is ironic and fun.
    The yodeling thing... Jesus, no. But Romania usually sends things that I can't stand (Cezar, anyone?).
    The Norwegian entry confuses me. It seems that since 2013 they REALLY don't want to win. This year they send this big guy rapping with some cheap copycats of Daft Punk in the background.
    And let's appreciate the incredibly sofisticated Ukranian entry this year. Those guys have a song called "Time" and their clothes have... clocks. They didn't even try, seriously.