Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu series

I can't be the only one who adores this show but gets a sick feeling when I watch Elisabeth Moss play someone disenfranchised by a cult...

http://www.newsweek.com/handmaids-ta...ing-tom-594180

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    I've only seen the first episode, but watching made me feel like I was watching everything as it happened in the book. The setting is modernized to post-2010's, with more LGBT content, but none of that changes anything about the story arc. The way the bedroom looks with the garden below is exactly like how I imagined it. The inner monologue and flashback scenes are all intact (I feel like a shitty director would cut most of that out)... This is probably the only adaptation I think of that is more than faithful to the source -- and the new details even enhance it.

But that's only chapter 1, which is called Offred so I guess there will be more focus on other characters too...? I'm not looking even though I read it before!!

This show is brilliant, absolutely horrifying and a wake-up call. When they keep saying in the flashbacks "oh, they'll fix this soon. This can't happen. It's ridiculous!" it makes chills run all through me. Congress is shot, terrorists are blamed, the constitution is suspended and voila! I actually watched wondering just how many people would love this future. I kept seeing Ted Cruz and Betsy Devos getting hard-ons over it. *shivers*

Also,
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    Everyone's like, Oh don't be dramatic, we're not living in Gilead. Bitches, we're also not NOT living in Gilead. Look at the health bill if you need proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansa Spark View Post
    Everyone's like, Oh don't be dramatic, we're not living in Gilead. Bitches, we're also not NOT living in Gilead. Look at the health bill if you need proof.
    FOR REAL.

Did anyone think the last episode was a bit boring? I'm afraid if it doesn't pick up some momentum that I'll lose interest---even after loving the first few eps.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

I thought it was the best episode yet...

This is a lot better than the film adaptation, don't you think? I'm not sure the casting is better, though; Faye Dunaway was born to play Serena Joy and Joseph Fiennes is way too hot to play the commander!

Looks like they've agreed a second season already, will be interesting to see how that develops.

Did you all notice Margaret playing the slap-happy Aunt, btw?

Yep, and anyway one of the points of the book is how we can sleep walk into horror- I'm thinking all the time watching this of Elie Wiesel's account where his neighbours didn't believe concentration camp stories even from an escapee and were eventually all rounded up and taken.

Quote Originally Posted by abaddog View Post
    This is a lot better than the film adaptation, don't you think? I'm not sure the casting is better, though; Faye Dunaway was born to play Serena Joy and Joseph Fiennes is way too hot to play the commander!
    Totally off topic, but let me say that Joseph Fiennes in Shakespeare in Love was, um, a real awakening for me. Like - REAL. He's still got it. Also, Yvonne Strahovski is nothing like what I pictured for Serena Joy, but she has done such brilliant work in the series that I've come to regard her version as the definitive take on the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Neutral View Post
    Totally off topic, but let me say that Joseph Fiennes in Shakespeare in Love was, um, a real awakening for me. Like - REAL. He's still got it. Also, Yvonne Strahovski is nothing like what I pictured for Serena Joy, but she has done such brilliant work in the series that I've come to regard her version as the definitive take on the character.
    I actually think he's even hotter now

Yvonne is excellent, but I'm not made afraid of her as I was by the novel or by Faye. On the other hand, they are going for a different dynamic between the commander and Serena in this Hulu adaptation anyway, and it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by abaddog View Post
    Did you all notice Margaret playing the slap-happy Aunt, btw?
    Yes! I remember reading an interview with her last year when she said she was going to have a cameo, but I didn't expect THAT.

This show is really something. Wow!

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    I loved this week's episode! Seeing the oppression from the side of the women who are complicit in it was fascinating. I didn't know Strahovski had such a performance in her.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansa Spark View Post
    I loved this week's episode! Seeing the oppression from the side of the women who are complicit in it was fascinating. I didn't know Strahovski had such a performance in her.
    I know! It was just an incredible episode, the best I've ever seen on any series.