Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354

Thread: Amy Winehouse Thread: now with added shitstorm and actual death.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Here's a video I'd never seen before - Amy and her dad bumping into the waiting photographers and Amy talking about her Fred Perry collection (October 2010)

Barbara Windsor reveals 'secret Amy friendship'

One was a national treasure starring in one of the country's best-loved soaps, while the other was a troubled singer battling alcohol and substance addictions.

But Barbara Windsor has now revealed she struck up an unlikely friendship with Amy Winehouse prior to her tragic death last year.

The EastEnders matriarch first became friends with the late star through her husband, Scott Mitchell, who had been a friend of the Winehouse family.

And the pair went on to forge a close bond as Amy received treatment for her demons at a London clinic near the couple's Regent's Park home.

Speaking to the Daily Mirror, the 75-year-old actress explained: 'I spotted her one day and said to Scott, "That’s Amy out there having a cigarette, you should go out".

'He told her to stop sitting outside and come in. Then, whenever she was there, she knew she didn’t have to sit on a wall and could come and see us.'

Although the women vowed to keep their friendship a secret, the soap legend explained they used to spend hours of 'quality time' together, with the singer seeing her home as a safe haven.

And Amy developed a particular penchant for reading through Barbara's scripts with her, reading the lines as either Pat Butcher or the star's alter-ego, Queen Vic landlady Peggy Mitchell.

Barbara said: 'There was one really heavy scene between Peggy and Pat where it really kicked off. I pretended to be Peggy and for the first time Amy played Pat. Afterwards she always insisted on playing Peggy, which was lovely.

'That was one of our smashing moments. It was lovely and we always said we would never tell anyone.'

Both Barbara and Scott were left devastated when they heard the news of Amy's sad death in July 2011.

And although the couple stayed away from the funeral, they attended the third Shiva - a seven-day mourning period in Judaism - in which they prayed for the late star alongside her family.

Following Amy's passing, her father, Mitch Winehouse, approached Barbara to ask whether she would become a patron of the Amy Winehouse Foundation, a charity set up in her memory.

Jumping at the chance to leave a legacy for her secret friend, the actress admitted being a part of the valuable work the organisation undertakes is a 'moving' experience.

Amy tragically passed away in the early hours of July 23 2011 at the age of just 27.

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    Amy Winehouse is "teh" only woman to make new NME top ten rock icons list:

Unless "John Ono" in the Telegraph counts as a womens too. And it used to be the Guardian that got stick for typos.

Should this thread be moved to OMA now the Scandal Sheeting is historical?

Just stumbled across this video of Amy recording "Body and Soul" with Tony Bennett, four months before she died. Really interesting, and you can see how nervous and insecure she was.

Thanks for sharing! What an interesting video. The contrast of her nervousness while speaking and her confidence while singing is so striking. It's been awhile since I've listened to Amy; I think I'll put her on this afternoon.

Banned
    Wow that was incredibly sad (and fascinating). You can see how effortless it is for Tony Bennett. I can't imagine all that she must have been going through psychologically during that period.

Amy, the documentary:

It's been getting good reviews at Cannes, but apparently her family doesn't support it. I'll admit, I haven't been following the story closely, so don't know the details.
    Last edited by Nora; 05-20-2015 at 07:49 PM.

Her dad doesn't scan quite right to me.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    Her dad doesn't scan quite right to me.
    yeah I always found that a bit odd too. He was always happy to talk to the press.