Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rich Daddy or American Government?

fluid, affectionate, chaste, mature Mackerel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Show me one single rapper who uses big words and standard grammar in the way Joanna or any comparable artist does.
    kari's right - i don't want to get too far into the weeds of what constitutes literary sophistication and artistry, but using big words is actually a very crude and often inaccurate way to determine whether someone is a good writer. it CAN indicate sophistication, but not always. e.e. cummings is a universally respected poet, and he used very simple words - probably 5th grader level - but used them in a very sophisticated way that often eschewed standard rules of grammar. there are a ton of scholars who study the complexities within rap - the complicated meter and rhyme schemes, the allusiveness, the narrative. it doesn't flow like a poetic folk narrative, but it doesn't mean it's not sophisticated.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I don't want to wade in over my head because I know next to nothing about rap music, but I'm often so impressed by the dexterity and creativity of what I hear in a lot of it. I'm sure many poets would recognise it. There's a lot of rubbish rap out there, but there is a lot of rubbish folk music out there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Show me one single rapper who uses big words and standard grammar in the way Joanna or any comparable artist does.
    This is such a weird and uninformed line of thinking. Like off the top of my head: Q-Tip and a Tribe Called Quest, Lauryn Hill, Common, De La Soul, Kendrick Lamar.

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    Aesop Rock's vocabulary is insane. If you like acrobatic, encyclopedic wordplay, I'd highly recommend checking him out. Super nice guy, too.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

aging hipster trash The Seaward's Avatar
    I love that Joanna is a Kendrick Lamar fan. The mental image of her jamming tf out to "King Kunta" makes me tingly.
    I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Also Chance The Rapper is famously a huge Joanna fan.