Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toriisms

Senior Member wheretheorchidsgrow93's Avatar

Toriisms

What are some things Tori does throughout her music/interviews/album art/writing/whatever that we are all used to and don't bat an eyelid at after all these years?

Whether it's things that would make people unfamiliar with Tori would go or just things that we all have seen/heard many a time that has become eye-roll worthy.

A few that come to mind are

Mentions of HUSBAND

"I said/yes/boys/girls" added to live songs

sonic architecture

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

etc
    I'm glad you're on my side, still.

"Yes, said, I said ahhh" from Muhammed my Friend on Live from New York is like the best Toriism ever! And one of my favourite musical moments - she just flowed music back in 96 - 99. I miss those years...

"As a minister's daughter..."

"Sonic architecture"

*edit* - see I totally missed that you mentioned sonic architecture - because I have become so used to the saying - LOL
    Robbing the muse...

Quote Originally Posted by Beelust View Post
    "Yes, said, I said ahhh" from Muhammed my Friend on Live from New York is like the best Toriism ever! And one of my favourite musical moments - she just flowed music back in 96 - 99. I miss those years...

"As a minister's daughter..."

"Sonic architecture"

*edit* - see I totally missed that you mentioned sonic architecture - because I have become so used to the saying - LOL

I am determined to one day sit down and make bf watch Live in NY from start to finish....WHY is it not on DVD? In fact why are there no live dvds apart from WTSF, Live at Montreaux and the Artists Den one...ugh, I'd love a Pele/Choirgirl/Venus set.

Hahaha. It's hilarious. I love when she does the whole Tori speak thing if I'm watching something and someone overhears and they *always* say the same thing: "Is she on drugs?" My boyfriend's niece overheard something or other one time, probably a live song and said "Is she singing in Chinese?" I cracked the hell up. I told her no and she was like "Oh, I can't understand anything she's saying."

The muses
    -time moves both ways-

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    "I was reached out to by a bee shaman/old Navaho woman/shelf stocker at Sainsbury's/teenage girl in a coffee shop and the album theme finally became clear."

She's been "holding a space" for a lot of things recently...

Ugh - this 'holding a space' thing - WTF does that even mean?

Frequency. Especially searching for a. Used to describe some shitty synth setting/Mac's guitar.

'"As a composer...." When did 'songwriter' become a demeaning label, or simply, 'artist'? Or how about, no qualifying label at all.

Her early mannerisms I find totally endearing - they seem genuine. Her kooky moments nowadays seem more obviously affected, as if she's 'doing' Tori Amos. A bit like covering herself, if you will.
    Last edited by lucille; 05-12-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Yeah I would definitely say "the people that come to the shows approached her and said 'You must tell these stories." kind of thing..
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

Quote Originally Posted by lucille View Post
    Ugh - this 'holding a space' thing - WTF does that even mean?

Frequency. Especially searching for a. Used to describe some shitty synth setting/Mac's guitar.

'"As a composer...." When did 'songwriter' become a demeaning label, or simply, 'artist'? Or how about, no qualifying label at all.

Her early mannerisms I find totally endearing - they seem genuine. Her kooky moments nowadays seem more obviously affected, as if she's 'doing' Tori Amos. A bit like covering herself, if you will.
    Totally get what you mean.

As for Andy's comment, I never noticed how many times she said that til you mentioned it!

Haha I was gonna say muses as well.

You know the "as a composer" thing, when did she start saying that? Was it after NOH with the classical reinterpretations? It'd make more sense for her to "sell herself" as a composer during that time but I agree with you, songwriter and artist are not demeaning.

"...and then the songs started coming..." when talking about finding inspiration.

Referring to her songs as "girls" (sometimes going as far as saying that they try on different hats or outfits).

Straddling the piano bench, but I suppose that's kind of a given.

Holding the microphone between her two fingers.

Staring off into space with "locked" eyes during certain parts of certain songs while performing.

Her little two-hand wave.

I do love her.

Quote Originally Posted by wheretheorchidsgrow93 View Post
    You know the "as a composer" thing, when did she start saying that? Was it after NOH with the classical reinterpretations? It'd make more sense for her to "sell herself" as a composer during that time but I agree with you, songwriter and artist are not demeaning.
    Prob wrong, but I think she was a 'composer' from early on, like at least FtCH onwards. I imagine its a hangover from Peabody, where they tried to force the classics on her/told her the Beatles wouldn't be remembered in 50 years. Also, the scarcity of historical female composers. So yeah, she's fighting the patriarchy with that. Maybe also something to do with not wanting to be limited to one sound. And yet, it comes across, to me at least, as pretentious. Why use the received term in the first place? It implies: my work is too important/complex/immortal to just be called 'songs'.

Sorry for rambling - it's just a little Tori bugbear of mine

Quote Originally Posted by jacob's room View Post
    Staring off into space with "locked" eyes during certain parts of certain songs while performing.
    That's called: Fuck, I can't remember the lyrics to the next verse! Seriously though, I love it when she does this - I want to go where she's gone...
    Last edited by lucille; 05-12-2017 at 12:46 AM.

You slinky, slimy, smegma bitch

I guess that's more of a Pip-ism?

gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Why is "composer" pretentious or controversial in the slightestl? She is a composer, and she always has been a composer. PJ Harvey refers to herself as a composer, too. They compose music, ergo, they are composers. I don't get it. (Sincerely, not trying to be provocative.)

Its a 'loaded' term. It implies many things, the very least of which is the simple act of 'composing', which taken literally means putting elements in place to create a whole. All creators do that. But tell somebody you just 'composed' dinner for them, and see what reaction you get.

We do associate the term more readily with musical creation of course, and I don't think it would bother me with Tori, who comes very close to what are considered traditional classical compositional modes at times, but that she states it in such a highlighted way: "As a composer" - i.e. in case you were going to define me as just another singer-songwriter. Loaded. She NEVER uses the term 'songwriter', yet that is just as applicable to her as 'composer' by your reasoning. *waits for someone to unearth the interview where she uses the term*

Then again, I suppose its the fault of the interview process - being pushed to put words to your art. Whatever, I've obviously thought about this too much. She's free to call her work anything she likes, even sonic architecture
    Last edited by lucille; 05-12-2017 at 01:26 AM.

gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Sonic architecture is not cute at this point, I'll grant you that all day long. But composer doesn't bother me at all, I don't see what's loaded about it. I just googled the term to see if I am using it wrong, and here is the definition Google provides: "a person who writes music, especially as a professional occupation."