Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Famous Toriphiles

Icon15 Famous Toriphiles

Every now and then, we run into some interview, article or presentation where another artist sings Tori's praises. These can range from the bizarre (Taylor Swift) to the unexpected (Justin Timberlake), to the genuinely awesome (Mick Foley). All are hugely interesting. So, feel free to share any such tidbits you may have found over the years. I remember The Dent had an entire section dedicated to Tori Amos references and sightings back in the day, and I'm sure there have been many more since. Some of mine:

• Joss Whedon included "Silent All These Years" in his iTunes Celebrity Playlist, stating that "the angry and the sensual must always be bedfellows".
    • Speaking of "Buffy" alums, I seem to remember an interview with Sarah Michelle Gellar in the "Buffy" days, who mentioned Tori among her favourite bands.
    • Anne Hathaway was featured in Blender Magazine's "I Love This CD" column. Her pick was "Little Earthquakes".
    • Justin Timberlake spoke at length about what "Little Earthquakes" meant to him in the Hollywood Reporter's Songwriters Roundtable this Oscar season.
    • Owen Pallett wrote a great review of "Unrepentant Geraldines" for Talkhouse, and has covered "Pretty Good Year" live.
    • Taylor Swift covered "A Sorta Fairytale" live a while back, citing Tori Amos among the female musicians who inspire her.
    • St. Vincent has tweeted about Tori's music on several occasions, including while attending a recent live performance.
    • Patrick Wolf also regularly discusses her influence on social media.
    • Keira Knightley is apparently a fan, and she included "A Sorta Fairytale" in a Spotify Mix about getting into character for her film "Begin Again".
    • And of course, my all-time favourite: Wrestler Mick Foley wrote a really beautiful piece on Tori's music for Slate a while back, which is a must-read for all fans.

There are many, many more. Any ideas?

Prince apparently attended one of her shows. But maybe he just wanted to check out her Purple Rain...

Matthew Perry
    Roseanne Barr
    Rosie O'Donnell
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

Kate Bush
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Amy Lee from Evanescence (she likes Juarez I believe?).

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    Julianna Barwick. Not sure if she's ever said anything in published interviews but when I saw her at a festival she commented on my Tori t-shirt (1998 Plugged Tour! ) and said how much she loves her.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Mike Hadreas/Perfume Genius mentioned her a couple times. His boyfriend and band member, Alan, is a huge fan, too.

Sufjan Stevens quoted "Cornflake Girl" lyrics on his blog.

PJ Harvey expressed a liking of her music a couple of times in the 90s. (I think she even said at one point that Tori was the only female artist she was listening to? I couldn't find that interview with a quick Google search, though.) Polly has always spoken very well of Tori and Bjork, even as recently as last month - apparently some fan asked her after a show.
    Last edited by rubidoux; 05-20-2017 at 07:22 PM.

i need size ten thousand for my ass snowgayngel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
    Sufjan Stevens quoted "Cornflake Girl" lyrics on his blog.
    When was that?
    "i think lady gaga is immensely entertaining"

IIRC a couple of years ago on the top of the page it said "Rabbit where'd you put the keys girl?".

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    Does anyone remember the Imogen Heap cover of Cornflake Girl?

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    Kate Bush
    Haha?

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    Does anyone remember the Imogen Heap cover of Cornflake Girl?
    Yes, but that wasn't Imogen's choice and I haven't heard Imogen ever say she liked Tori.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    Has anyone mentioned K-Bork yet?
    Last edited by andy; 05-21-2017 at 07:17 AM.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    I remember about Kylie Minogue saying that she'd love to duet with Tori.

Also Within Temptation covered Crucify, so I guess at least Sharon den Adel must be a fan. Tori is quite popular among female metal singers. I'm not sure about Simone Simons, but I think she mentioned her too, somewhere. Also Simone's teacher, the singer Amanda Somerville, lists Tori Amos among her influences.

Not female, but I know Marco Hietala (Nightwish bass player/Tarot singer) once said in an interview that he sometimes listens to Tori's music.

Emilie Autumn has a song that is a semi-ripoff of Silent All These Years.

Anyway, last year I got to talk with a musician of The Winstons (not mainstream but still famous, their bandmate Enrico Gabrielli also worked with PJ Harvey) and I shyly admitted that Tori Amos was the musician I listened to the most, and he was like "Oh, hey, she's a great badass musician, I know".
    Last edited by Bloody Grace; 05-21-2017 at 09:35 AM.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    Haha?
    *deep breath*