Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Comic book recommendations

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    Oh, I don't mean to be a buzzkill! You could still order one of the books and see how you like them - maybe you'll see in them all kinds of things I missed. But I thought the writing and the art were both utterly heinous. And the fact that the creator is this super conservative dude who uses the stories as political propaganda (which I discovered after reading the first two volumes) did not make me more receptive, if I'm being honest.

Thank you. The propaganda bit has turned me off even further. I'm so glad I posted here! The reviews I have read are positive.

What about elfquest?
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    The new Monstress run started last week if anyone was waiting. First new issue is oversized.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoodlefish View Post
    What about elfquest?
    Fucking amazinggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!
    You can actually read everything except the current story arc for free on their website: http://elfquest.com/read/digitalEQ.html
    post28!

Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    Fucking amazinggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!
    You can actually read everything except the current story arc for free on their website: http://elfquest.com/read/digitalEQ.html
    Okay I'm sold! Which collections should I get for completeness? I saw quite a few e.g. archives, complete etc

Thanks!

Oh the complete is in black and white
    Last edited by Canoodlefish; 01-30-2018 at 03:57 PM.

Yeah, they switched publishers a few times so their printed back catalogue and collections is a bit confusing. The new black and white collections are really nice, though. The first 3 story arcs were all published in black and white from the get go, with colored graphic novels done later. I think the 2nd and 3rd arc look better in B/W. The first arc (issue 1 to 20) is handpainted and gorgeous!

It's a hard series to get complete since, during the 4th main story arc, they had spin offs and prequels and stuff often done by different artists but to get the essential story going, start here:
    - arc 1: the Original Quest, the first 20 issues, with the first 5 being an opening act and the last 3 an amazing epic finale.
    - arc 2: Siege at blue mountain, 8 issues, continuing elements set up in issue 10-15 from the Original Quest
    - arc 3: Kings of the Broken Wheel. BEST STORY EVER WRITTEN!!!!! If you managed to fall in love with the characters (which you will), this one will F you UP!
    - after that: Dreamtime/Hidden Years/Shards and then report back to me

I might sound like a big hyperbole but it really is a special series. Growing up, this had a major impact on me and offered me some valued lessons.
    It touches on mature themes like discrimination, feminism, religion and extremism, yet evil is always in shades of grey and all characters are all extremely fleshed out. It all feels very real and can get quite emotional at times.
    Not your standard fantasy, which you'll realise when you get to issue 11 and you get to meet Winnowill!
    Last edited by wout; 01-31-2018 at 10:21 PM.
    post28!

I mean, look at her:

post28!

Haha I'm definitely sold Wout. So I just get the Complete 1, 2, 3, and 4 b&w then. I saw there're also four volumes of Final Quest and I've also come across Future Quest. Can you tell me more?

At this point in time I won't google elfquest any more to avoid spoiling anything for myself. Thanks for your input!

Final Quest is the current story arc and also their final. The last issue will be released in 4 weeks and then they'll retire themselves. Possibly some other writers and artists from their old 'stable' will continue in the future.
    Because, well, there was indeed Future Quest, a spin off series from the 90's, that took place years and years into the future where it was a mystery what happened to all the elves on that world. Lots of clues and hints, but it was never ever finished or explained.
    It's not essential reading for now...

If you read through the ones I posted, you could continue with Searcher and the Sword, the discovery and then Final Quest. From there on, everything else is fun additions that add to the lore and world building and background of characters.
    There's Kahvi, Two-spear, Wolfrider, Rogue's Curse, Wavedancers, New Blood and Future Quest (consisting of Jink and The Rebels). The quality of those titles varies wildly though and it can be a bit confusing in terms of timeline and canon.

The "core" story is the best by far, and with the first few collections you should be well settled!!
    Book 1: covers the original quest
    Book 2: Siege at blue mountain and Kings of the Broken Wheel
    Book 3: Dreamstime and some of the Hidden Years stories (which were great 1-issue stories)
    Book 4: Hidden Years, when it turned onto the full story arc, into Shards, the continuation of that arc.

I hope you enjoy them!! I can't praise this series enough
    post28!

Just ordered all seven volumes (complete and final quest) and pre-ordered FQ vol 4. It'd take three to six months. Can't wait!

I just found out wave dancers are also from the elfquest team?!?!? Wave dancers is my first comic next to Gen13! I got one issue only though: the one with the cast centrespread.

I haven't posted in here for a while; can't recall if anyone mentioned Vision yet, but it was AMAZING. Nice concise 12 issue run with gorgeous art and amazing self-contained story. Not typical super-hero fare.

These days my most excited pulls every month are Saga, Paper Girls, Monstress, Wicked + Divine, SEX CRIMINALS (so amazing and that Zdarsky art...), Low, Black Science, Rat Queens, Runaways, Thor (Jason Aaron's run has been amazing).

Black Bolt by Saladin Ahmed and Christian Ward is excellent.

Seven To Eternity is on hiatus but OMG that artwork by Jerome Opena.

And it's over now but I cannot recommend enough the whole Dan Slott/Michael Allred run on Silver Surfer. I definitely got something in my eye during the last two issues...

Everyone says that Abbott #1 which came out last week was AMAZING, but all my local shops are sold out
    Last edited by Nick; 02-02-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Oh also I like Fables a lot so I'd at least give it a try before writing it off; it lost steam after the big initial mystery wrapped up, but was enjoyable up to the point I've read (I'm a couple volumes behind though; I only started reading when the Deluxe Editions started coming out and I haven't bought the last few yet). I'm reading (and really enjoying) Unwritten right now (thanks to my library having all of the paperbacks), and I guess they cross over at some point?

(BrotherNamedErised did you not like all of the Fables artwork or just the fill-ins? Mark Buckingham is amazing IMHO, not to mention his work on Death and Miracleman with Neil)

Too late cos I've spoiled Fables for myself

Thanks for your recommendations too. Will check them out when I have time (and the financial resources...)

Quote Originally Posted by Canoodlefish View Post
    Too late cos I've spoiled Fables for myself

Thanks for your recommendations too. Will check them out when I have time (and the financial resources...)
    I don't know if it's an option where you are, but I somehow JUST discovered my library's graphic novel collection. It's insane - they have hundreds. That's where I'm working through all 11 (I think) volumes of Unwritten at the moment. I assumed they would just have Sandman and some other heavy hitters, but they have tons of current Marvel, DC and Image stuff. I'm planning on hitting up their East Of West collection next on my boyfriend's recommendation. Obviously your library mileage may vary, though.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    These days my most excited pulls every month are Saga, Paper Girls, Monstress, Wicked + Divine, SEX CRIMINALS (so amazing and that Zdarsky art...), Low, Black Science, Rat Queens, Runaways, Thor (Jason Aaron's run has been amazing).
    You have amazing taste! Most of those are among my favorites as well. I'm always glad when people find the comics section at their local library! At my previous library job, I ordered books for the comics/graphic novel sections in the adult and teen collections. It was my favorite collection to maintain! If you don't mind eBooks, you can also check to see if your library subscribes to Overdrive, Hoopla, or Comics Plus. Those are free apps that allow library cardholders to access comics digitally through a phone, tablet, or computer browser if the library subscribes to the service.

Saga is
    I still need to check out Monstress!!!
    And Fables: I did love the first few books but after they wrapped up the real main story it all ran out of steam and ideas and went downhill pretty fast. Like the Walking Dead, basically...

And this may be redundant, but if you haven't read Y: the last man, you should!
    post28!