Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic book recommendations

Comic book recommendations

Seriously, no comic book thread yet? *tsk tsk*

Here's what I think you should read:
    - Sandman: duh!!
    - Calvin and Hobbes: double duh!!
    - Bone: gets a wee bit tedious near the end but still a fantastic read. You can get the whole story in one volume now! Charming and funny.
    - Elfquest: first 3 story arcs especially. Like Fantasy? Read this!!!
    - The walking dead: zombie apocolypse that focusses and the struggle of the survivors instead of just blood and guts (although there's plenty of that as well). Absolutely brilliant.
    - Preacher: if Quentin Tarantino made comics, this is what it could be like.
    - Y, the last man: what if all the men died one day. What would happen? Read to find out. Another brilliant must-read.

Now, tell me what's missing
    post28!

If you dug Y: The Last Man, you should try some of Brian K. Vaughan's other works (though Y is my favorite of them all.)

Runaways -- More for the younger set, but just as entertaining for adults. A group of super-powered teens discover that their parents are super-villains. There's three volumes of this story, and Vaughan passed the torch mid-way through volume 2 and the quality steadily went down. Volume 3 is atrocious. But volume 1 is definitely worth reading!

Ex Machina -- Chronicles Mitchell Hundred's term as mayor of NYC. He's also the world's first and only superhero, having the ability to communicate with machines. There's a lot of political stuff here, which I didn't think I'd like reading about in my comics. But it's well-done and I trust in the Vaughan.

Pride of Baghdad -- A story about escaped animals from a zoo after a bombing in Baghdad.

The Hood -- A common criminal finds a cloak that turns him invisible. Hilarity ensues. (Ok, not really. It's a lot grittier than that, but it does have funny moments.)

Other comics besides Brian K. Vaughan's that I dig:

American Jesus by Mark Millar -- Twelve-year-old Jodie Christianson discovers he can do the things Jesus has done in that Bible thingy. Could he be the second coming of Christ?

The Stuff of Legend by Mike Raicht and Brian Smith -- After being kidnapped by a boogeyman, a bunch of toys come to life to rescue their boy. This ain't no Toy Story, as it can get a bit dark.

1602 -- Not that Neil Gaiman needs any extra plugging, but I feel that in light of Sandman and all of his other accomplishments, this little (okay, big) book gets overlooked. Marvel heroes set in the Renaissance!

Eternals -- Another Gaiman that I really enjoyed. An update of Jack Kirby's original series, a story of a super-powered race that have forgotten who they are and now live normal lives. I recently found the first issue of Kirby's original in a used book store and I was totally excited! *nerd-gasm*

I've also been enjoying The Guild mini-series by Felicia Day, and I have comics I've bought recently that I haven't gotten around to yet: American Vampire, The Last Unicorn, Fraggle Rock, Sense & Sensibility, and a stack of Buffy Season 8. I'm also excited for the True Blood comic series due out this summer!

I have Pride of Baghdad but I never linked it to Y! Great book, sad sad sad ending
    Your other recommendations sound great, I'll be sure to check some out. I never heard of 1602 but that really sounds interesting, thanks
    post28!

hmmm should web comics go in here? The likes of Sinfest and xkcd are epic win
    GSV Tarendai

Sure, why not. Sinfest I haven't read for a long time, but it always made me laugh. I never heard of Xkcd... *googles*

Also, the Penny Arcade webcomic can be brilliant.
    post28!

GSV Tarendai

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    My favorite comic ever, and I wish it was a heck of a lot longer run than 12 issues, is Nextwave by Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

I loved Ellis' Global Frequency and of course, Transmetropolitan.

Ellis created and wrote for The Authority for the first year of its run. I haven't read it all but what I have read I've enjoyed. Definitely worth a look if you like skewed takes on superheroes.

I'm also a big fan of Garth Ennis' writing. His sense of humour is just similar to my own, I suppose. The dafter, cruder and more disgusting he gets the more I seem to love it. Preacher is his most amazing series, but I enjoyed what I've read of Hitman (sadly the trades are now out of print and so expensive to get hold of) and I absolutely adore his latest series The Boys. I've also enjoyed his often gloriously silly turn on The Punisher.

Also worth a look is Ennis' rather more serious Battlefields series. I have the Night Witches trade, about an all-female Soviet fighter pilot squadron in WW2. Definitely worth a look if you like historical stuff.

ETA: Anything by Alan Moore is always worth your time and money. One of his less well-known works and one I enjoyed greatly because of its world-building and sense of humour is Top Ten

Helen, i picked up the first volume of The Boys a few weeks ago. So far, I really like it: it has Simon Pegg in it
    post28!

Quote Originally Posted by Wout View Post
    Helen, i picked up the first volume of The Boys a few weeks ago. So far, I really like it: it has Simon Pegg in it
    WEE HUGHIE!

I have no idea why basing him on Pegg actually works as well as it does but ... it does.

I loved Y and I'm picking up Ex Machina when I have the funds to do so. I also recommend Maus and Persepolis.

When I was in high school I loved I Feel Sick, Johnny The Homicidal Maniac and SQEE by Johnen Vasquez. He really knew what to do with crude humor in the 90's. (Too bad he's a total douchebag.)

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    The Invisibles and Lucifer. (Though I'd definitely read Sandman before delving into Lucifer.)

Maus: yes! Powerful stuff.

Lucifer: also yes. Vertigo does publish some of the best stuff, right? Which reminds me: Books of Magic!
    post28!

Wout, have you ever read Ralf Konig's Stuff? The Konrad and Paul series is charming, very sexy, smart and downright funny.