Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Comic book recommendations

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Oh look... another X-men revamp.

I wish Marvel would stop resetting numbers on the books all the time, it is so confusing.

Cornflower seeds with the first issue.... reminds me of the Beekeeper strategy.... hey, anything to sell the physical stuff, right?

"Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

I haven't bothered with a physical copy of an X-Men reboot in forever (the last several reboots may have been read via torrent) and they haven't deserved it because they ranged from boring to awful, but I really liked the first issue of House Of X and made sure to buy a copy! I bought but didn't read Powers Of X yet, but I've heard good things (plus I splurged for the Stephanie Hans cover).

It does feel like the most genuine effort they've put in to the X-Men since Grant Morrison or at least Whedon, and they thankfully seem to be ignoring the worst parts of the last couple of years (e.g. the last X-Men writer killed off like a dozen major characters for no reason). Plus they're bringing back the Milligan/Allred X-Force in a new series early next year! I really hope that (especially now that Marvel has the movie rights) they do right by this relaunch. Hickman loves a good long-term plan and he's overseeing the whole line so my fingers are crossed.

Last edited by Nick; 08-02-2019 at 05:55 PM.

Has anyone been reading the Hickman HoX/PoX series? It is bonkers and great!

Yeeeaaah HoxPox is awesome so far. Am eagerly awaiting each next issue. I can't remember the last time X-men did that for me =).

Okay, so HoXPox did some extreme retcons to pave an entirely new decor.
    It worked, it is intriguing and the scenes it paints are ever so pretty.

Will they maintain this quality? Too early to tell. X-men #001 was kind of awesome, but since it is the core title, I wouldn't expect any less from a first issue.
    Maurauders #001? Meh. I don't love the post-90s Kitty to begin with, and the entire "SHE can't use the portals!" I don't understand yet. The title alone seems like an attempt to draw in folks based on nostalgia, and then they bring back Pyro. We'll see how long it takes before this ship hits an iceberg.

Then comes Excalibur #001 . Psylocke assumes a role that is kind of predictable, and for "fun" is joined by Jubilee, Rogue and Gambit, about to immerse themselves into the wacky Captain Britain mythology which has always been an uncomfortable part of X-world. Still, these characters are pretty fun, and suit the lighthearted tone that is supposed to be Excalibur very well. And then comes the counterweight comic relief addition to the team... in the form of Apocalypse? They really are attempting to slap both X-men canon history AND the cinematic universe in the face. Age of Apocalypse surely doesn't seem so scary now. The first issue was golden I think, I'm curious to see if they can keep this up.