Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comic book recommendations

I read Der Bewegte Man! My hubbie is one of "Ze Germans" and he had it in his bookcase.
    It's funny indeed
    post28!

Hmm, some comic recommendations in addition to the stuff already posted:
    There's the amazing Ed Brubaker run on Catwoman (which my avatar is taken from)
    Alias by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Gaydos
    The Daredevil runs by both Bendis and Brubaker
    Greg Rucka's runs on Wonder Woman and Elektra
    Batman: Death and the Maidens by Greg Rucka and Klaus Janson
    Grant Morrison's runs on New X-Men, Batman and The Invisibles
    Geoff Johns' first run on Flash

Has anyone read Umbrella Academy?

The Punisher: Born mini series was awesome and I'm quite enjoying the new undead Franken-Castle.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomino View Post
    Has anyone read Umbrella Academy?
    I have not. I kind of didn't want to once I found out it was by Gerard Way. It's petty of me.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

Errrm, this may seem an idiotic question...but there seems to be SO many Sandman titles out that I am confused as where to start.

Any suggestions?

If it's as easy as "Start at #1," okay, but when I look at Amazon or at the store there seems to be a huge variety.

Also, is BONE as good as say?

Quote Originally Posted by Mumblefuck View Post
    Errrm, this may seem an idiotic question...but there seems to be SO many Sandman titles out that I am confused as where to start.

Any suggestions?

If it's as easy as "Start at #1," okay, but when I look at Amazon or at the store there seems to be a huge variety.
    That's not an idiotic question! I'm going to go ahead and assume you are talking about Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" series.

"Sandman" is a 75-issue series. It is based on an earlier comic book character of the same name created by Jack Kirby in the 1970's. Gaiman's "Sandman" has been collected into ten trade paperbacks and four Absolute editions, which may contribute to your confusion when searching on where to start. The Absolute editions have condensed the series into four volumes, but it is the same content (just higher quality) as the trade paperbacks. The trades have been re-released with new covers, but some of the older ones still come up in an Amazon search as well ... leading to more confusion!

The simple answer is, start at number one! (Ha!) The name of the first trade is "Preludes and Nocturnes," which contains issues #1-#8.

In addition to the 75-issue series, there have been some spin-offs and stand-alone issues. They are not required to understand "Sandman," but I think some of them are worthwhile reads. (The two Death mini-series, for example.) For the tenth anniversary of "Sandman," Neil wrote "Endless Nights" as a companion to the series. It can be read without any knowledge of the series (though, of course, having knowledge of the series enhances the experience!)

Someone on Amazon created an awesome guide about everything Sandman!

I sort of don't want to recommend the Wikipedia page, which lists everything, lest you come upon any spoilers.

Highly recommended to read alongside the series is The Sandman Companion. It's amazing! Analysis of each of the books, and tons of quotes and background info from Neil. (I even used this book as a source when I wrote a paper on Gaiman a few years ago.) I'd recommend reading each of the "Sandman" trades and reading the corresponding chapters in-between books. DON'T read ahead in the companion until you've finished the entire book of the series!

I hope I helped! FEEL FREE to ask any more questions!

Wow, Leirali, thanks a million - your response was EXACTLY what I needed. Now, off to amazon to order up!

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
    Watchmen
    Kingdom Come
    Preacher
    Y: The Last Man
    Scott Pilgrim
    Blankets
    Maus
    V for Vendetta
    Persepolis

These are just off the top of my head. I have to look at my collection, because there are a lot more.
    "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." Henry David Thoreau

Boost! It's nice to have a general comic book recommendations thread floating about.

I've been having a bit of a comics week. Last night I read the first trade paperback from Grant Morrison's run of Doom Patrol, having only read some of his run of Animal Man previously (GOOD!) and otherwise not venturing much further because friends have never been too keen. But wow! It's a little too self-consciously smart, quirky and 'surreal' - the Scissormen cease to be creepy once they NEVER SHUT UP, and I thought the dialogue bluntly explaining Dorothy's nightmares about the red shoes diminished the effect a little - but I'm really enjoying it so far. Some wonderful borrowing from dark folklore to explore really wacky meta stories.

I've also started on Fables, which I've not made my mind up about yet after the first arc. I like Bigby though! Archetypal grizzly male lead antihero with a shadowy past Bigby. So dependable.

I've been re-reading old 'Hellboy' comics/graffic novels. Forgot how freaking good they are!!!

I've also picked up some newer independent titles that I'm enjoying, 'Saga' and 'The New 'Deadwardians'.
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

Comic book recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Whappo View Post

I've also started on Fables, which I've not made my mind up about yet after the first arc. I like Bigby though! Archetypal grizzly male lead antihero with a shadowy past Bigby. So dependable.
    Fable will start to bore you, mark my words... It starts off real strong but it really runs out of steam after a while.
    post28!

Comic book recommendations

Also, again: elfquest! The whole saga is online on their website and while the first story arc is fantastic (20 issues), the Kings of the broken wheel story arc is perfection on so many levels!!!!
    /fanboy
    post28!

Girlfriend talked me into reading Brian K. Vaughan's latest on-going, entitled Saga. It's a space opera about a couple of aliens from two warring societies, who have managed to piss off everyone around by getting together and having a baby. It's at issue 8. There is some annoying stuff, but the main plot is actually quite engaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen View Post
    Girlfriend talked me into reading Brian K. Vaughan's latest on-going, entitled Saga. It's a space opera about a couple of aliens from two warring societies, who have managed to piss off everyone around by getting together and having a baby. It's at issue 8. There is some annoying stuff, but the main plot is actually quite engaging.
    That's the one I'm reading. It's pretty good. I enjoy the struggle and story... the dialogue is pretty bad in some places though.
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.