Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Fetus Talk/The War on Women

Exclamation Fetus Talk/The War on Women

Study: Fetuses Don't Feel Pain Before 24 Weeks

A recent Nebraska law banned abortions before 20 weeks because, it claimed, that's when fetuses feel pain. But British research finds that fetuses can't feel pain before 24 weeks and probably don't feel it after that either.

According to the Telegraph, Britain's Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists has found that nerve endings in the fetal brain aren't developed enough before 24 weeks to signal any pain. Thus, says the College's report, "It can be concluded that the foetus cannot experience pain in any sense prior to this gestation." The College also found that the womb environment has a sedating effect on the fetus, and so anesthetics for abortion (which the House once considered mandating, and some states require that doctors offer) or fetal surgery aren't necessary and may even be harmful.

In New Scientist, RCOG chair Alan Templeton specifically addressed the specious science behind Nebraska's 20-week law. That law was based on a fetus's observed reflex responses to pain, but Templeton says, "There are indeed reflex responses, but in our view, because the nerves are not wired up to the cortex, they are reflex actions without experience of pain." It's no surprise that the Nebraska law and others of its ilk aren't supported by research, since they're really intended to chip away at abortion rights. In response to the RCOG report, a spokesman for British Prime Minister David Cameron says he will "continue to be guided by the science on the matter." If only anti-choicers would do the same.

Planned Parenthood sues over Neb. abortion law

LINCOLN, Neb. — Planned Parenthood of the Heartland filed a lawsuit Monday challenging a new Nebraska law requiring mental health screening for women seeking abortion.

The new law would require women wanting abortions to be screened by doctors or other health professionals to determine whether they were pressured into having the procedure. Those women also would have to be screened for risk factors indicating they could have mental or physical problems after an abortion.

Planned Parenthood, which runs one of two abortion clinics in Nebraska, has been critical of the measure, saying it could be difficult to comply with and could give women irrelevant information.

"The act would ban abortions in Nebraska by imposing, as a condition to performing lawful abortions, impossible, unintelligible, and unprecedented so-called 'informed consent' requirements on abortion providers that vastly stray from accepted and, indeed, good medical practice," Planned Parenthood said in its lawsuit.

Supporters of the screening law say it could help prevent medical problems after the abortion is performed and would put the pre-abortion reviews in line with those used in other medical procedures. Doctors would have to tell patients if they had any risk factors indicating they could have mental or physical problems after an abortion, but could still perform it in those cases.

The new law says if a screening was not done or was performed inadequately, a woman who had mental or physical problems afterward could file a civil suit. Doctors would neither face criminal charges nor lose their medical licenses.

The screening law is set to go into effect on July 15. It is one of two controversial abortion laws passed by state lawmakers last spring and signed into law by Gov. Dave Heineman.

Uh, what? I mean, yes, if a woman is being pressured into having an abortion, I'd hope that at some point she'd be alone with her gynecologist and say, "Look, my partner/parents/whatever are forcing me into this;" I'm sure there are some instances in which, say, an abusive boyfriend might do so, but wouldn't forcing the woman to HAVE the baby be a better power play? Then she'd be tethered to you for 18 years! But I realize that that is unrealistic, especially in domestic abuse situations. Still, it reinforces the belief that women can't (and aren't) making their own decisions when it comes to reproductive health.

This is clearly an attempt to limit women's access to abortion. Especially the mental problems provision. That seems way broad to me. Unless "mental problems" is defined in the statute, it may be unconstitutionally vague. I mean, assuming it's not defined because legislators are really that stupid (seriously, they pass blatantly unconstitutional laws ALL THE TIME), who decides what a "mental or physical problem" is? Even though the article says abortions could still be performed in those cases, I'm sure there are doctors who would not perform the procedure for fear of a lawsuit (even though, to me, it seems like this law is opening doctors up to lawsuits to which they would not previously have been subject). And what about conservative doctors who would just use this as an excuse to just say, "no" to abortion?

Bad law, and I hope it gets challenged in court.
    Last edited by ontheindianside; 06-29-2010 at 01:02 PM.

It's OK rape and incest victims, "God has a plan!"

Since winning the Republican nomination in the Nevada Senate race Sharron Angle has drawn attention and controversy for a host of conservative policy prescriptions that seem well outside the political mainstream. Now, a Democratic source has passed along a radio interview she did back in January 2010 that could end up topping the list.

In an segment that has gone unnoticed since it first aired, the Tea Party-backed candidate told the Bill Manders show -- a favorable platform for Republican candidates -- that she opposed abortion even in cases of rape and incest. A pregnancy under those circumstances, she said, was "God's plan."
    Audio and transcript @ site.

Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    Yikes. I mean, really. Thank you Jeebus for your plan...the plan that allowed me to be raped and become pregnant! OK, so maybe I don't see the brilliance of this plan NOW, but I might later, right?

As for the Nebraska thing, well...hardly surprising from my home state. And go Planned Parenthood. They are building a new center in midtown Omaha that will perform abortions. I believe the only place in the state that offers that service now is about 20 miles from that location. I could be wrong about that, though. Of course, people are pissed because Planned Parenthood is evil and pushes women into abortions, right? They don't offer any. other. services. at. all. Nebraska is a huge state in terms of mileage and the population drops dramatically when you get about 100 west from Omaha. I can't imagine being from a woman from a little ranch town in central Nebraska needing an abortion. 250 miles? Check.

Quote Originally Posted by iamstilljamiepoo View Post
    Yikes. I mean, really. Thank you Jeebus for your plan...the plan that allowed me to be raped and become pregnant! OK, so maybe I don't see the brilliance of this plan NOW, but I might later, right?
    The Lord works in mysterious ways! Rapebabies make great witnesses for Him!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarella View Post
    Well, the Jehovah IS a murderous, unpleasant fucker of epic proportions. His biographers amply demonstrate this, you know, in their bestseller. I can quite believe that particular god's plan is to make as many people suffer as possible.

it's late where you live.
    It's unfortunate that this study will do nothing to unplug the Bible-thumbing, rapebaby-delivering fingers from the anti-choicers' ears so they can alter their insistence that abortion is the same thing as pitchforking an overall-clad toddler out of its playpen.

On an unrelated note, every time I see this thread title, I get "Physical" in my head. Let me hear your fetus talk! your fetus talk!

From NARAL:

Have you ever seen those "Pregnant? Need help?" stickers or billboards?

You may not know that they are actually advertisements for "crisis pregnancy centers" or CPCs. CPCs pose as women's health-care clinics but are actually anti-choice organizations. CPCs often give women misleading or inaccurate information to make them feel too guilty or too scared to choose abortion.

There is a bill in Congress right now that would actually stop CPCs from saying that they offer abortion services that they clearly do not provide.

I just asked my representative to sign on as a co-sponsor, because I believe every woman facing an unintended pregnancy deserves facts – not lies.

We need to act fast though – can you write your representative and ask him or her to sign on, too? It's easy – just click on the link below.

http://bit.ly/aK54Qa

Quote Originally Posted by iamstilljamiepoo View Post

As for the Nebraska thing, well...hardly surprising from my home state. And go Planned Parenthood. They are building a new center in midtown Omaha that will perform abortions. I believe the only place in the state that offers that service now is about 20 miles from that location. I could be wrong about that, though. Of course, people are pissed because Planned Parenthood is evil and pushes women into abortions, right? They don't offer any. other. services. at. all. Nebraska is a huge state in terms of mileage and the population drops dramatically when you get about 100 west from Omaha. I can't imagine being from a woman from a little ranch town in central Nebraska needing an abortion. 250 miles? Check.
    I actually wrote a play about a girl from a small town in NE who needed an abortion and having no clue how the eff she was going to get to Lincoln. Things don't go so well.

Oh, and I don't know if you guys have read this, but it gives me a Logical Argument Boner.

In Defense of Abortion
    by Judith Jarvis Thomson

Thumbs down

Are you a rape victim considering abortion? Don't. Sharron Angle will tell you how turn "a lemon situation into lemonade".

Stock: What do you say then to a young girl, I am going to place it as he said it, when a young girl is raped by her father, let's say, and she is pregnant. How do you explain this to her in terms of wanting her to go through the process of having the baby?

Angle: I think that two wrongs don't make a right. And I have been in the situation of counseling young girls, not 13 but 15, who have had very at risk, difficult pregnancies. And my counsel was to look for some alternatives, which they did. And they found that they had made what was really a lemon situation into lemonade.

What a thundercunt!

Barb, Baltimore has been successful in fighting those phony counseling centers, though there's been plenty of resistance.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sexual..._b_561810.html

That is awesome. Hopefully the rest of the US has to do the same.