Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Setlist and Reviews for Amsterdam, The Netherlands 13/09/2017

Quote Originally Posted by Venus_Envy View Post
    You mean like this?

no

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    It might! Though she's repeatedly mentioned having wrote it for her sweetheart (Mark).
    I always thought RB was about her brother?
    ~just an underwater thing~

Quote Originally Posted by dollsbitches View Post
    I'm thinking maybe Roosterspur has some kind of significance for her mother.
    I think I've read somewhere on this forum that RB is about her brother which kinda suits considering her current family concerns. It is kind of heartbreaking as I'm looking at the lyrics for the first time.

/Edit: yes, as Venus_Envy said

I thought so too, but she literally introduced it as something she wrote for Mark at a show in 2015. IDK - I think songs can be about multiple things. I don't think it's coincidental, for example, how Roosterspur goes right into Beauty of Speed on the album. But like, if she plays Lust and goes into Roosterspur it's pretty obvious who she's got on her mind.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

scrambled eggs by Faberg Rebel Angel's Avatar
    Was at the show. Loved it!!! Tori seemed very into it and her voice was great. Not a fan of this CalS, though the On the Boundary-part was fun. Otherwise beautiful setlist, emotional second half. The 'get morher well' part in Horses was almost hearbreaking. Always loved The Rose, so nice surprise to get that. And together with Susanna it made a perfect Fake Muse set. Heard before of the 10 mins version of AsF, but i liked it. Stood at the front and could see how much T was into it, playing her little keyboard. Maybe shorter setlists this tour, but she seems in top form! Looking forward to tomorrow's show. :-)
    Last edited by Rebel Angel; 09-13-2017 at 10:27 PM.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    She played "The Rose" at my show in 2005 and it was STUNNING.

All right, I'll try to be brief because most of it has been said already. Tori did indeed seem to be in a very good mood, she was chatty, cracked a few jokes every now and then – she was definitely in a good place and felt comfortable, despite her delayed flight from Manchester this morning. Soundcheck finished just a few minutes before doors opened, so everything was on short notice tonight. The sound was very good, in my opinion. The acoustics at Carré are phenomenal and she sounded great in there. I have to agree that the Nords do sound much better, but it's the synthetic nature of the sound is still very audible. The duration of her set felt just right. Not too long (!!!), not too short (!!!) – perfect. I left feeling completely satisfied.

The segment preceding the Fake Muse Network didn't work for me. I found her song selection at all the shows thus far to be random and unconsidered for the first part of the show. Amsterdam was no exception. I mainly thrived off the fact that I was seeing her again after two years, that her piano playing was topnotch and very expressive. I was very fond of "i i e e e" at first, but I started feeling detached from the song when she kept elongating it over and over again. First I thought: 'Hear! Hear! She's keeping it tight tonight..." It did indeed start of brilliantly but got drained out towards the last two minutes which felt like an eternity. "Cool on Your Island" sounded awesome – a very dignified performance, if I may say so. The sample used was a piano sound with a synth pad underneath, but the punchy sound kind of emulated the sound of Wurlitzer being pounded heavily. Kind of a throwback to 2001, though according to Tori Amos 2017. I was happy to hear "Roosterspur Bridge" since I've been getting into it lately – she delivered a solid performance. "Caught a Lite Sneeze," too, started off very strong but lost a lot of energy once "On the Boundary" got incorporated. One of the reasons why I'm still so put off by Y Kant Tori Read is the never ending mentioning of the word "baby." Around that time I started noticing that the stone worked into my seal ring was loosening as I was fiddling around with it more than I do usually.

By then I had been thinking: 'Well, maybe tonight is just not for me. At least she's up there playing and I get to watch.' And then she delivers those two covers. Wow. I was very touched. "Reindeer King" broke down the remains of my emotional aloofness. The rest of the set followed an urgent, moving and extremely personal thread. I have been playing "Upside Down 2" for several days nonstop because it resonated strongly, so I was out of it when she played it. She repeatedly sang "No, I'm not gonna be angry today" – very expressive. It was a beautiful performance and I'll treasure it for a long time. I'll thank her for it tomorrow. Did I ever mention I absolutely dislike "Bliss" being played live (since 2001)? The worst part isn't even that I think that she can't achieve it by herself anymore, it's that they're pulling off this arena rock light show in the background. One can do that when there's a band, but if you're pounding away on a piano without a drummer and a bass player, it just seems strange and somewhat otherworldly. In a bad way.

I don't understand why she struggles to sing some songs of her repertoire when she's capable of doing "Blood Roses" the way she does. That was a stellar performance. Her energy was uncannily similar to some recordings from 1996. "A Sorta Fairytale" worked much better than I had expected. I really enjoyed her trying out different things and experimenting several rhythms and variations. It really was a good closer.

All in all, it was a good show, though it doesn't stand out as the best I've seen her do. It was a lovely way to tune in to the upcoming weeks and I am so happy I went. By the way, I've been thinking that "Professional Widow" could be worked into a backing track she could jam along to for the tour...

Thanks for sharing! I feel the same way about Bliss, mostly, though the Ghent performance is the first since Zurich 2010 solo that I've liked much.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

Pink Hair Don't Care
    Has this been posted yet?

is this the place to post videos?

I dunno. I'm just trying to be helpful.

Mother: https://youtu.be/CbqsH3Xe_a4

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Oh Jesus how did I forget PGY it's in my all time Top 6 along with Spark and Horses.
    Not gonna lie @Nick, I was like, think he's missing something there

These are very very good. It sounds like my favourite show, so far.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

That COYI is so pretty.

Man, that was a perfect show... Very fierce and emotional at times. The Carre theater has amazing acoustics and the sound was awesome.. She seemed in good spirits and cracked a joke about Manchester City playing Feyenoord Rotterdam (heavy rivalry with the soccer team from Amsterdam) Suzanne was a very emotional surprise since I'm a big fan of Leo. Mother, Blood Roses, BQ/Horses, Bliss, Cloud on my Tongue, Caught A Lite Sneeze.. I got treated this show I didn't expect Reindeer King to be so intense live, she hammered on the keys. The extended A Sorta Fairytale worked really well as a closer, lovely keyboard work.

That is the best MOTHER ever. I can't believe it. I cried throughout. And the car she mentions toward the end - I can't deal - because the car is likely not the car picking Tori up - but a car taking her mother away.

Upside Down 2 was also incredible!

So much love for Tori! What an amazing performer.
    Robbing the muse...

That version of Mother just broke my heart, really. When she changed the words to "he's gonna change YOUR name" I just feel apart.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."