Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Setlist and Reviews for Amsterdam, The Netherlands 13/09/2017

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Oh Jesus how did I forget PGY it's in my all time Top 6 along with Spark and Horses.
    Not gonna lie @Nick, I was like, think he's missing something there

These are very very good. It sounds like my favourite show, so far.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

That COYI is so pretty.

Man, that was a perfect show... Very fierce and emotional at times. The Carre theater has amazing acoustics and the sound was awesome.. She seemed in good spirits and cracked a joke about Manchester City playing Feyenoord Rotterdam (heavy rivalry with the soccer team from Amsterdam) Suzanne was a very emotional surprise since I'm a big fan of Leo. Mother, Blood Roses, BQ/Horses, Bliss, Cloud on my Tongue, Caught A Lite Sneeze.. I got treated this show I didn't expect Reindeer King to be so intense live, she hammered on the keys. The extended A Sorta Fairytale worked really well as a closer, lovely keyboard work.

That is the best MOTHER ever. I can't believe it. I cried throughout. And the car she mentions toward the end - I can't deal - because the car is likely not the car picking Tori up - but a car taking her mother away.

Upside Down 2 was also incredible!

So much love for Tori! What an amazing performer.
    Robbing the muse...

That version of Mother just broke my heart, really. When she changed the words to "he's gonna change YOUR name" I just feel apart.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

The Rose

Suzanne

^ both of these are beyond incredible.
    Last edited by Beelust; 09-14-2017 at 03:06 AM.
    Robbing the muse...

That Mother is something else...

Quote Originally Posted by theycallmejosef View Post
    One of the reasons why I'm still so put off by Y Kant Tori Read is the never ending mentioning of the word "baby."
    That never occurred to me before, but once I read it I immediately realized how totally right you are! I did a lyrics search for the album on yessaid and discovered she says "baby" on YKTR 43 times
    (Plus one more from Fayth that I didn't count, "radio blasts as the baby cries," since it's actually about a real baby..)

Having slept on it, I have to stress that she did indeed play a beautiful concert last night, but my main issue is the fact that the first part of the show doesn't seem to have a current. I am sure that if she started the show with "Reindeer King," we'd be in for a blockbuster show from start to end, particularly considering the limitation of songs per night she is sticking to. While I understand why she chose "i i e e e" as an opener, she completely overstretched its storyline and kept going on and on despite of several beautiful moments to finish off the performance perfectly. Yes, there is a particular, mantra-like (for lack of a better word) quality to it, but it simply felt too long for me.

"Horses," "Upside Down 2" and "Mother" haunted me in my sleep. Those were... emotional, to say the least.

What is it about some people recognising a song only when she sings the first few words? Not everybody is quick at taking cues from the key she starts introducing the song in. But she always incorporates variants on the theme or even a melody line from the song. It kind of bothers me when people clap all the way the beginning of the first verse... but now I'm complaining pointlessly.

To me it sounds like she's constantly singing with thinned out voice, like there's no power in her upper register. Shorter sets + this imply she's maybe trying to save her voice to be able to get through the whole tour. It's just that 2011 was so amazing vocally, this feels like a slight regression. But of course quite often those low quality video clips make it sound worse than it is.
    I haven't heard one clean take on Reindeer King, it seems to be difficult for her to do live. She's always slightly out of tune with it.
    Last edited by MrQuin; 09-14-2017 at 10:01 AM.

I truly feel as if she is channeling her sadness in the shows, the version of ASF this tour is heartbreaking.
    They say you were something in those formative years...

Beautiful - a song I still listen to to this day! I bet the locals were happy to get this instead of another Little Amsterdam
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

I know I keep saying it but I think she's sounded WAY better these last couple shows. I agree with whoever said that she probably just wasn't warmed up and was under-rehearsed for the first couple shows.

That Mother fills my soul...