Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Setlist and Reviews for Amsterdam, The Netherlands 13/09/2017

The Rose

Suzanne

^ both of these are beyond incredible.
    Last edited by Beelust; 09-14-2017 at 03:06 AM.
    Robbing the muse...

That Mother is something else...

Quote Originally Posted by theycallmejosef View Post
    One of the reasons why I'm still so put off by Y Kant Tori Read is the never ending mentioning of the word "baby."
    That never occurred to me before, but once I read it I immediately realized how totally right you are! I did a lyrics search for the album on yessaid and discovered she says "baby" on YKTR 43 times
    (Plus one more from Fayth that I didn't count, "radio blasts as the baby cries," since it's actually about a real baby..)

Having slept on it, I have to stress that she did indeed play a beautiful concert last night, but my main issue is the fact that the first part of the show doesn't seem to have a current. I am sure that if she started the show with "Reindeer King," we'd be in for a blockbuster show from start to end, particularly considering the limitation of songs per night she is sticking to. While I understand why she chose "i i e e e" as an opener, she completely overstretched its storyline and kept going on and on despite of several beautiful moments to finish off the performance perfectly. Yes, there is a particular, mantra-like (for lack of a better word) quality to it, but it simply felt too long for me.

"Horses," "Upside Down 2" and "Mother" haunted me in my sleep. Those were... emotional, to say the least.

What is it about some people recognising a song only when she sings the first few words? Not everybody is quick at taking cues from the key she starts introducing the song in. But she always incorporates variants on the theme or even a melody line from the song. It kind of bothers me when people clap all the way the beginning of the first verse... but now I'm complaining pointlessly.

To me it sounds like she's constantly singing with thinned out voice, like there's no power in her upper register. Shorter sets + this imply she's maybe trying to save her voice to be able to get through the whole tour. It's just that 2011 was so amazing vocally, this feels like a slight regression. But of course quite often those low quality video clips make it sound worse than it is.
    I haven't heard one clean take on Reindeer King, it seems to be difficult for her to do live. She's always slightly out of tune with it.
    Last edited by MrQuin; 09-14-2017 at 10:01 AM.

I truly feel as if she is channeling her sadness in the shows, the version of ASF this tour is heartbreaking.
    They say you were something in those formative years...

I'm not crying at all.

Beautiful - a song I still listen to to this day! I bet the locals were happy to get this instead of another Little Amsterdam
    chillin in kyoto grand with my man Skrill

I know people are complaining in general, but her voice sounds lovely to me, and these interpretations of these songs are stellar. There is SO much going on in that Dutchman performance. It's a little journey.

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    I know I keep saying it but I think she's sounded WAY better these last couple shows. I agree with whoever said that she probably just wasn't warmed up and was under-rehearsed for the first couple shows.

That Mother fills my soul...

RE: vocals, I don't think she allowed herself enough time to warm up. Kind of understandable given the circumstances. I also think she's aiming too high sometimes and needs to embrace her lower range more. She's nailing those deep vocals on Blood Roses, it's the high stuff where her voice is straining. Cooling from Ghent is painful.
    ~just an underwater thing~

looking for a little hope just owls's Avatar
    I think she sounded better (at least in terms of how *I* prefer her voice) in 2014 and some of the one-off shows since 2011, but she does not sound bad at all, certainly nowhere near even her best 2009 shows. Part of the somewhat shaky first couple of shows could perhaps also be nervousness, wondering if she could pull this off with all that she's dealing with. She seems to be loosening up.

Wow! The performance at this last shows!! Even if the setlist on paper doesn't excite me much, when I watch the videos I'm really impressed. I guess it's better than performing everything and risking being dodgy. She seems really focused to allow the songs to breathe and evolve at this tour. I mean, that Mother! Horses! And I'm liking Iieee and ASF, it's not karaoke and it works. All in all, everything seems very intense.

I really enjoyed that Upside Down 2!!!

Flying Dutchman isn't a strong performance. It's her great attitude and her smile that makes it enjoyable though.