Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Setlist and Reviews for Ghent, Belgium 09/09/2017

Ok, so I'm gonna do a song-by-song rundown of the show. I haven't listened to any of the recordings because I want it to be based on my impressions in the room.

Iieee - I actually hadn't listened this version before the show, so I didn't quite know what to expect other than the backing track. I was positively surprised! I was really impressed with the background beat and backing vocals. They are so much more "interactive" for lack of a better word than the one's she used in '14/15. It wasn't the solo version, but not the album version either. More like combination of the two. Her voice sounded pretty strong from the get go, and you could tell that she has had the chance to do this song a few times.

Bliss - When she started it on the keyboard, I had no idea what it was she was playing. I was a little bit disappointed when she turned to the piano and it was Bliss, because I got it on both of my last two shows. But it was a good version, though clearly still something of a work in progress. The changes between the keyboard and piano wasn't always seamless. I liked how she sustained the sound of the keyboard after she turned to the piano.

Roosterspur Bridge - She introduced this song by saying that while surprises were coming, this wasn't one of them, but she was going to do it anyway because she was really into it at the moment. It was a good rendition. I think this was during this song that the sound issues began. A couple of sharp pops came out of the right hand speakers towards the end of the song. I don't know if people on the left hand of the stage heard them, but around me people started looking around for the source of the noise. This continued through the next few songs.

Cooling - This was the only song where she was really struggling vocally. It was actually a beautiful version with a fierce bridge (it was the full "brambles" version) but towards the end she kinda lost her breath, and she really had to work up to the last "cooling".

Caught a Lite Sneeze/On the Boundary - The sound issues really escalated during this song. The popping came much more frequently, and after each pop the righthand speakers cut out for a few seconds. It was very distracting. And it was really unfortunate as what I heard of the song sounded lovely. The keyboard sample was good, the tempo was good, and her vocals had recovered after the ending of Cooling. Some of the transitions was a little rough though, but I think she might have been a bit distracted by the sound issues, if she was aware of them. Somehow the "On the Boundary"-bit really worked for me.

Leather - Right after CALS the sound completely cut out. The Fake Muse Network-sign came out and Tori started chatting but there was no sound at all. After a few seconds the front row started yelling to her that we couldn't hear her. She was really surprised and then followed this adorable exchange where she tried both her microphones and her instruments and none of them made a sound. Clearly she still heard them in her earpiece. She was like, "hold on, they'll get it" (referring to Mark) and eventually everything was back up and running. When it was she said that this wasn't a fake muse song, but she was coming anyway and she'd do it if we sang along. Then she launched into one of the best versions of Leather I've seen. It was on tempo, the playing was wonderful, and even the singing-along was pretty good. I was also super relived that the technical problems seemed to be completely fixed, and that Tori didn't seem rattled by them.

Vincent (Starry Starry Night) - This is a song that I don't really know beyond recognizing it, but it was lovely.

Boys of Summer - She introduced this by talking about hurricane Irma and sending thoughts to the people of "the Islands and Florida", and she said that this song was a request but that she thought it was perfect for what was going on. Once again a song I don't know well, but I really loved it. Beautiful.

Reindeer King - She really nailed this one. The low notes on the piano filled the room, and her vocals and playing was on point. Very emotional.

Beauty Queen/Horses - Definitely a highlight. It was fierce, and the effect on her piano was very effective. The extended BQ on the keyboard was very moody.

China - The biggest surprise of the night for me. This is one of my least favorite LE songs, but this version on both the piano and the keyboard was wonderful. Her voice was great on it.

Curtain Call - This is one of the few songs on AATS that I really like, so I was happy to get it. She was really into it, it clearly still resonate with her.

Blood Roses - Wow. It was ON. This sample is amazing. Somehow it manages to be industrial and harpsichord at the same time. She was not holding back. A highlight.

A Sorta Fairytale - It's long, but I liked this a lot. She's really utilizing her new keyboards on this. It's like the solo version of one of her band jams. I can only imagine that it's going to become better as the tour progresses, because there is a lot of moving parts to this and it's still a little rough around the edges. She's working HARD to play, sing and time all the samples.

Mother Revolution - Lovely. The keyboard parts works well I thought.

I really enjoyed the show. The whole sound issue thing was a bummer of course, but the Leather sing-along was great. Happily the sound issues didn't come back after that. Tori actually seemed to be in a pretty good mood. She's clearly very emotional at the moment, but she was engaged and seemed happy to be there. Her vocals mostly sounded good, but she had some struggles in the first half of the show, but like I said, that might have had something to do with the sound issues. Can I say that I hate the fucking stage rush/standing during the encore thing though? Let people see her play the encore for gods sake. There was a guy in a wheelchair in my row and I doubt he could see anything during the encore. It's just so inconsiderate.

I just watched that video, and it's great! I mean, I liked it in the room, but after reading some of the more negative reactions of some of the videos I sort of started to question my own memory of the show. But that was beautiful!