Page 114 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114
Results 1,696 to 1,707 of 1707

Thread: Native Invader: your reviews and impressions

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I have to say that UG hasn't proven to have much staying power for me. I LOVE the title track, but otherwise I could probably do without it completely. Weatherman is a great song, and I like Trouble's Lament, and I think I like Oysters, but after that it's fairly slim pickings overall. I think it's fine and not embarrassing, but not terribly compelling on the whole.

Tori Amos and her albums are WEIRD. She is an odd duck - anchovies or whatever - but I guess that is why we love her.

To John's Face's comment about UG being an album of B-Sides...
    I felt this way about TBK, ADP and AATS. Nothing stood out to me as really good A-sides and the albums had no cohesion/good narrative like SW and before. Just random mediocre songs together. I felt with MWG and NOH she made huge improvements and I love both of those albums - largely because of their cohesion and instrumentation. I was worried up until NOH that we would never get great albums again.

UG was another big improvement to me - I consider it a very "pretty" album. Much prettier and better vocals than several albums before it - and that makes it quite special for me. America, TL, Weatherman, Selkie, UG, Oysters, Invisible Boy, Dixie, and Forest of Glass are signature, untouchable classic Tori for me. While there is a bunch of filler - the album is way above TBK-NOH for me. It felt like Tori found herself again - - - and the tour was AMAZING... better than 2017. But something does fall flat. It is not cohesive and has too many filler songs in the mix.

Native Invader is so far beyond TBK - UG for me though!!!

Reindeer King is such an intense song - it is up there with my top 5-10 Tori songs. The "gotta get you back to you" message hits me hard. It is why I come to listen to Tori's music - to get myself back again - she has this healing ability in her music. While it is a song about herself or her daughter or her mother - it has a transcendent message for her listeners in the same way Silent All These Years does. I adore the entire song - production, vocals - everything. Every time I listen to it I love it more.

Mary's Eyes is a perfect bookend to RK. I love the uncertainty and mix of both sadness and respect/joy in it. And how the meaning again can be about Tori's mom or broader about mother earth - which occurs throughout the entire album.

Wings also resonates with me, particularly "is it too late to make myself a safe place"... and I love the groovy synths going on.

Cloud Riders and Breakaway are wonderful and I would not change a thing about either. Up The Creek is Tori having Tea with Grimes.

Wildwood - Bang - Climb - Bats - Benjamin - Mary's Eyes - Upside Down 2 - Russia are all perfection to me and a beautiful sequence to my ears. The only song I often skip is Chocolate Song. But even still - I think it is a good song.
    ^ "I don't hate you"
    Last edited by Beelust; 02-07-2018 at 09:16 PM.
    Robbing the muse...

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    I don't see b side as a negative though, I think UG feels like an album of b sides more because it was written over a long time with no distinct theme between songs, not because the quality is less than.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    I love Tori's b-sides, and even an album of "miscellaneous" doesn't bother me at all. Imo The conceptual stuff was becoming a bore, and UG came at just the right time.

What songs wouldst go-eth where though, hmm?

Oysters - BFP/CGH (think Cooling, etc)
    Selkie, Weatherman - UTP
    America, Trouble - Scarlet
    Wild Way - I can't explain why but AATS or Venus
    Maids, Rolling Pin - TBK
    Invisible Boy & Dixie - MG or TBK
    Rose Dover - Light Princess?
    Forest of Glass - NOH
    Last edited by Octopussy; 02-08-2018 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    I love Tori's b-sides, and even an album of "miscellaneous" doesn't bother me at all. Imo The conceptual stuff was becoming a bore, and UG came at just the right time.

What songs wouldst go-eth where though, hmm?

Oysters - BFP/CGH (think Cooling, etc)
    Selkie, Weatherman - UTP
    America, Trouble - Scarlet
    Wild Way - I can't explain why but AATS or Venus
    Maids, Rolling Pin - TBK
    Invisible Boy & Dixie - MG or TBK
    Rose Dover - Light Princess?
    Forest of Glass - NOH
    I agree with all your categories. I could see Wild Way on Pele as well or as a Pele bside.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    I would put Wild Way on AATS because I think it's the most simplistic lyric and melody and is actually on the lower rung for me. Just my personal feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    I don't see b side as a negative though, I think UG feels like an album of b sides more because it was written over a long time with no distinct theme between songs, not because the quality is less than.
    This is a very good point - I forgot about the "secret sonic selfie" thing that happened over time. Tori did a pretty good job sequencing UG given how varying all the songs are.

Now I am going to give it a listen again. I don't think I have listened to it as an album since before NI was released...
    Robbing the muse...

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    I would put Wild Way on AATS because I think it's the most simplistic lyric and melody and is actually on the lower rung for me. Just my personal feeling.
    Agreed, I think of it in the same tier as That Guy and 1000 Oceans. Maybe better? It's not bad, but not a favorite. Plus it has a lite electronic crunch that makes me think of AATS and Venus. Mark's guitar parts are actually quite good - I love the low, bassy growl on the second chorus, and of course the ethereal backwards-sounding stuff at the end. It sounds like Caton!!

I don't see AATS as a b-collection. To do that would be an insult to the b-sides, really.

I love this quote from The Guardian article where Tori mentions that her mother believes anything can be healed by taking a walk... now whenever I listen to Mary's eyes I think about it ...healing her mother or America.

"She remembers songs, certain hymns, the Beatles’ Penny Lane. She was, is, such a believer that all things can be healed by taking a walk; that all the answers are there, in nature. To see Mary under attack from this stroke, and to see America herself, Lady Liberty, under attack – it’s a terrible parallel.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...rder-than-fame

Hymns for us to sing
    She's a believer
    Hymns locked in her memory
    I'm a believer they're the key
    Last edited by Beelust; 02-17-2018 at 03:33 PM.
    Robbing the muse...

Princess Sparklefists Sansa Spark's Avatar
    God, and the ties back to Scarlet's Walk then remind me how relevant that album still is and now I'm crying.