Page 82 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1705

Thread: Native Invader: your reviews and impressions

I bet whoever reviewed that had to negotiate with the hipster neckbeards to even get her in there.

^ maybe Kanye West tweeted about it or something...

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
    ^ maybe Kanye West tweeted about it or something...

sorry, just an excuse to post this gif

Quote Originally Posted by sk81 View Post
    Yup, same with me. I have melodies of several songs in my head all day and then I have to listen to the album again (yesterday it was Mary's eyes especially and in general Bats, Climb, Wildwood and Russia keep burrowing their way into my mind). I keep listening to the whole album every day and now I'm thinking of trying out the alternative tracklists that are in the tourbook and the back side of the CD - just to see how the album would flow!
    I'm curious, which are the alternative tracklists? I might want to try them out.

I'm still quite happy with my edited version of the album, but I put Mary's Eyes back in 'cause I've warmed up to it. I still *don't* wanna get it completely. Actually, I hope I'll never have the chance to really resonate with it, it's just too painful.

I've also warmed up to Chocolate Song: it has its moments, but I just don't like it in the context of the album. Same for Wings, which I actually like a lot.

I have this theory that a bunch of songs were composed before she changed the album's direction, and maybe that's why some of them feel out of place to me. Precisely, I think those are: Wings, Chocolate Song, Breakaway, Upside Down 2 and Climb.

Breakaway is probably a reworked leftover from "The Light Princess" with some lyrics changed to fit the general theme of the album and, along with Climb, I think it blends perfectly with the other songs. Upside Down 2 is just lovely and I may slighty prefer it to Russia, but the latter is clearly essential to the narrative, so I just had to leave it out

Anyway, the sequencing "Cloud Riders/Broken Arrow/Up the Creek/Wildwood" in my reworked playlist is pure heaven for my ears. Also having Breakaway going into Bang sounds perfect, both thematically and musically.

I'm LOVING Bats, and I'm sad to see it's not getting much love. It has the same watery quality as Martha's Foolish Ginger, not only in the lyrics but also in the way it is played. It's hypnotic.

I still can't digest Benjamin, it's the only song where the guitars unnerve me. Speaking of guitars, are we sure that those on the beginning of Wildwood are electric guitars? They sound like synths to me.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

^ Breakaway is a completely different style from the Light Princess.

Breakaway sounds musical-like to me, but I'm not interested in TLP, so I actually have no idea how the whole show is. The only songs I know are Darkest Hour and Highness in the sky (Tori's version), hence the comparison. I think they share a similar mood and style.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

Breakaway is a fairly standard Tori Amos ballad with a hint of musical theater torch song in the opening. It's one of her best ballads in years, and I think it is among the best on the record. She captures the political moment so profoundly.

As far as TLP goes, the score to that show is nothing sort of astonishing. I was totally blown away by it, and I'm fairly fussy about musicals. The actual book and story leave much to be desired, but the music is A+.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Breakaway is probably a reworked leftover from "The Light Princess" with some lyrics changed to fit the general theme of the album and,
    I don't think "Breakaway" is a left over from TLP in any way, shape or form.

I think it's totally about her experiences after the show actually happened and her experiences within a different industry to the pop world. I also think there's elements of her relationship with Samuel Adamson. The whole narrative of the song and the fact that it doesn't melodically sound like anything from TLP makes me think it was written after TLP run had ended, but given the lyrics, the melody has an intentional musical theatre vibe too it, which I think works really well.

"That Guy" on the other hand is absolutely from the rejected/scrapped Light Princess drafts. That show went through so many re-writes she must have bucket loads of left overs.
    ~just an underwater thing~

Don't you think it sound similarly to Darkest Hour and HIIS? Because to me it does. But yes, I should listen to TLP in full before I judge. Maybe I will one day or another, I just don't feel the urge to, right now.

Anyway, by saying it was a leftover I did not mean to devalue Breakaway, by any means.

I love Breakaway. I agree it's a standard piano ballad, but after all that's what she does best.
    in my mind it could also work as a duet between Tori and Sam in a fictional meta-musical about her experiences in the musical theater world:

Today I visited my nearest city (I live in a small town in Wales, UK). I popped into HMV and they had a large Native Invader advertisement poster at the tills. I was really happy, not just to see the album advertised so prominently but because the artwork looked amazing. If I wasn't already a fan it would definitely have caught my eye.

on a side note: last time I saw her work advertised at a local record store was an enormous Beekeeper poster and I literally saw/heard people sniggering at it - when I bought the album the guy on the till looked at the sleeve and actually laughed out loud

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Breakaway is a fairly standard Tori Amos ballad with a hint of musical theater torch song in the opening. It's one of her best ballads in years, and I think it is among the best on the record. She captures the political moment so profoundly.

As far as TLP goes, the score to that show is nothing sort of astonishing. I was totally blown away by it, and I'm fairly fussy about musicals. The actual book and story leave much to be desired, but the music is A+.
    Spot on Kari. Totally agree with everything you have written here.

That moment in Russia y'all, when she sings "it's getting late..." Oh my god, it kills me, tragic, terrifying... and she's absolutely right. Would anyone not agree that Native Invader absolutely *nails* this terrible moment in political history? Our shared vulnerability and disappointment, what's at stake, what the fuck "our great white fathers" are up to, the fear, the terrible possibilities we are now faced with....

In some ways, she has never written a more timely or pointed record. I'm glad for the positive attention this album is receiving, but honestly, it should be getting MUCH more attention. The fact that is isn't being discussed at that level just shows how out to lunch we are culturally, how unable to move forward and really act. "Tell me where, tell me when, I'm in your Army, Ben" -> yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I'm curious, which are the alternative tracklists? I might want to try them out.
    Venus Envy posted them in the NI: Your reviews and impressions thread, the booklet tracklist order is this:
    Reindeer King
    Breakaway
    Mary's Eyes
    Bang
    Climb
    Benjamin
    Up The Creek
    Bats
    Chocolate Song
    Broken Arrow
    Wildwood
    Wings
    Cloud Riders

There is yet another tracklist, this one from the CD case backcover:
    Wildwood
    Breakaway
    Bang
    Up The Creek
    Cloud Riders
    Climb
    Mary's Eyes
    Reindeer King
    Chocolate Song
    Bats
    Wings
    Broken Arrow
    Benjamin

I'm very curious to see how they will sound - I personally love the sequence Wildwood/Chocolate Song/Bang/Climb/Bats/Benjamin/Mary's eyes. Strangely enough, even though I liked Cloud Riders when it came out (and still do!) and played Up the Creek on a continuous loop upon its release, I don't quite feel them in the sequence of the album, so I want to see how they fare in a different placement.

I love Bats too! It's one of the songs that immediately grabbed my attention the first time I heard the album. Russia is a favourite as well, I love the strange Russian number intro and outro and the melody of the ''Is Stalin on your shoulder?'' is gorgeous!

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sk81 View Post
    the melody of the ''Is Stalin on your shoulder?'' is gorgeous!
    Gorgeous... AND disturbing. I have fallen deeply in love with Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Gorgeous... AND disturbing. I have fallen deeply in love with Russia.
    It IS a legitimate question to ask, and man am I glad that Tori is asking it this way! I have to say I am not extremely fond of the ''For those on the right... for those on the left'' part; in the enormously polarized environment the US finds itself in it sounds understandable, and yet naive to ask for bridge building - and why MUST the left build a brigde while the right needs to build one? I don't know, but in my ears a ''must'' sounds far more forceful than a ''need to'' - hasn't the left tried building so many bridges already?? But I digress.

Btw McQuinn wrote in another thread that the mysterious Russian voice reciting numbers was probably taken from (or made to alude to) the Cold War number station broadcasts. I had never heard about the number station broadcasts before and since I was wondering what the purpose/meaning of the Russian woman reciting numbers was, I looked up Number Stations on Wikipedia. They basically were broadcasts of formatted numbers; one of their purpose was thought to be addressing in code intelligence officers operating in foreign countries https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station . Various countries did this, like Germany, Russia, the UK, US. I actually heard a sample of such a transmission (a Russian woman counting numbers, feels quite spooky...you can find it here: https://soundcloud.com/the-conet-pro...an-lady-irdial ) This does seems to fit, and for me it adds a more ominous and dark layer to ''Russia''.