Page 123 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123
Results 1,831 to 1,835 of 1835

Thread: Native Invader: your reviews and impressions

the juniper tree is mine Octopussy's Avatar
    I thought NI was the best-sounding album since AATS/MG. It’s hard to judge the band albums by same standard as everything post-2009, but I think it sounds much better than ADP and even TBK too. And this was “rushed”??? And she had years to work on Gold Dust?? Hmmm think we figured out the problem

So if someone told her right now “new album by January or we’re selling Martian Studios to the faeries”, she’d have the album of her career.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    I would never listen to most of the songs on UG/NI and think "Tori has checked out." It may not have the crazy amazing production of Choirgirl, SLG or Scarlet (her top 3 best produced, imho) or the rawness of Pele, but I clearly hear the work of a woman writing and performing with passion. Would I have loved a full real band on the record, sure? But given what they sounded like on TBK-AATS? mmmfh... I am thankful Tori has shared these songs with us. I turn to songs on these recent albums they way I used to turn to her music when I was a teenager.

Wasn't Scarlet quite a quick album too? That is without a doubt, one of her best.

the juniper tree is mine Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    I would never listen to most of the songs on UG/NI and think "Tori has checked out." It may not have the crazy amazing production of Choirgirl, SLG or Scarlet (her top 3 best produced, imho) or the rawness of Pele, but I clearly hear the work of a woman writing and performing with passion.
    Yes the quality of the writing & performance make it clear to me that she has definitely not checked out, if anything she's more awake than she has been since 2005.

My top 3 albums in terms of production are: Venus, SLG and Pele, with Choirgirl a close 4th. TBH I would probably rank Little Earthquakes #1, because it's perfect in every way, but that's not Tori's production so I consider it separate.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    And this was “rushed”??? And she had years to work on Gold Dust?? Hmmm think we figured out the problem
    So if someone told her right now “new album by January or we’re selling Martian Studios to the faeries”, she’d have the album of her career.
    I think this is on the money. Perhaps many of us love NI because she was inspired at the last minute and threw it together quickly. Venus was also quick. Some other albums with concepts like TBK or ADP (or whatever AATS is) she likely stewed about for a much longer time and calculated the albums too much.

I find it incredible how Garlands was a B-side on TBK and Dragon, Smokey Joe, Drive All Night and Miracle (born from Violet's Eyes) were B-sides on ADP. Why oh why were these amazing songs not album-worthy? They were probably written quickly / side project songs that did not fit the calculated concepts she was trying to make. I prefer the theme type albums like UG and NI than her concept phase.
    Robbing the muse...