Page 110 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110
Results 1,636 to 1,645 of 1645

Thread: Native Invader: your reviews and impressions

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    When Benjamin comes on I breathe a sigh of relief knowing that I can listen to a quirky little song before the heaviness hits. Once Mary's Eyes starts I feel a bevy of gut-punching emotions. My mother had dementia before she passed away suddenly and 1) There were times when I had no idea what was behind her eyes (what she was thinking and feeling) and 2) I never got to say goodbye - no closure/resolution whatsoever. She had a simple medical procedure but never came out of the anesthesia.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    It doesn't sound disjointed to me as much as it does circular and unresolved, which I think is sort of the point. "What's behind Mary's Eyes" = here are all the things I'm trying, oh that doesn't work, back to the question, try something else, nope that doesn't work, and on and on it goes. I find that part of it devastating.
    "You must spread some reputation around before giving it to @Kari again".

It doesn't sound disjointed to me as much as it does circular and unresolved, which I think is sort of the point. "What's behind Mary's Eyes" = here are all the things I'm trying, oh that doesn't work, back to the question, try something else, nope that doesn't work, and on and on it goes. I find that part of it devastating.
    Yep.
    My photo blog: polaroidsf

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    When Benjamin comes on I breathe a sigh of relief knowing that I can listen to a quirky little song before the heaviness hits. Once Mary's Eyes starts I feel a bevy of gut-punching emotions. My mother had dementia before she passed away suddenly and 1) There were times when I had no idea what was behind her eyes (what she was thinking and feeling) and 2) I never got to say goodbye - no closure/resolution whatsoever. She had a simple medical procedure but never came out of the anesthesia.

So it's been more than a month now, and I am still loving this record. I learn something new each time I listen to it. What I find remarkable about it is how much the songs here are in conversation with her past work. Each song has roots in some other song, or a lyric, or a concept she has talked about, or a few notes, or a style - but none of it sounds like a retread or a repeat. I think its an exceptional piece of work and so far it is going to be my AOTY.

So it's been more than a month now, and I am still loving this record. I learn something new each time I listen to it. What I find remarkable about it is how much the songs here are in conversation with her past work. Each song has roots in some other song, or a lyric, or a concept she has talked about, or a few notes, or a style - but none of it sounds like a retread or a repeat. I think its an exceptional piece of work and so far it is going to be my AOTY.
    Same same same.

It is I, you son of a bitch. blissgurl's Avatar
    Completely agree with both of you. ❤️ this album so much!
    Suck it, Shawn.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    At this stage in my life, this album resonates with me politically, emotionally, and psychologically. IMHO it is her best work since Scarlet's Walk which is my favorite Tori album. For these reasons it ranks very highly in her catalogue of work from my perspective. I honestly didn't think she had it in her to create music of this caliber anymore. It's hard to believe the same woman who wrote Not Dying Today and Police Me also wrote Breakaway and Reindeer King.

spring summer fall winter endlesswant's Avatar
    ❤❤❤ this album.my faves right now :
    Wildewood
    Cloudriders
    Wings
    BREAKAWAY
    Bang

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    I'm all about Benjamin, Wings, Reindeer King, and Mary's Eyes right now. And Breakaway. And Russia.