Page 122 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123 LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 1835

Thread: Native Invader: your reviews and impressions

You can hear traces of NI sound on Falickah, but like, the dollar store version of NI.
    -time moves both ways-

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    Honestly though, some lyrical or vocal issues aside, Flicker just became one of the most relevant songs of this cycle. It was the only thing that got me through the end of the day yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    Honestly though, some lyrical or vocal issues aside, Flicker just became one of the most relevant songs of this cycle. It was the only thing that got me through the end of the day yesterday.
    Thank you. Yes. Damn, if she would remix and release a video right now, this could become a fucking anthem.
    I've always loved this song. I liked it before it was cool. ;-)
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

Broken Arrow is my song today. It’s so well done with everything happening in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Orange Clouds View Post
    Broken Arrow is my song today. It’s so well done with everything happening in the world.
    Now I know what I'm playing on my drive home.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    Broken Arrow is making all of my Tori playlists lately. I just love the song. It's definitely my favorite.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

Can you explain what you mean about the production? Or are you just meaning the content and feel / sound of the album - like she should have made it sound warmer or dreamier or more magical with production changes, but to you it falls flat? That is how I feel about ADP for example. If she had produced ADP like the two b-sides Dragon and Smokey Joe - ADP would be among her best works.
    This is exactly it. Reindeer King sounds okay but hoo boy it's all downhill from there. I would say the production falls into the same pitfalls as have plagued Mark, er, "Produced by: Tori Amos" forever now: vocals too upfront, the instrumentation melting into a murky morass of flat AOR nothingness. The entire album sound likes a shitty 96kbs MP3 and it really blows. Imagine if Cloud Riders had the same warmth as Suede. As it is, not a single component of this track sounds like it was recorded in an actual room. It's a brickwalled blast of sodium and fake processed cheese. Does Tori (as a producer) think "been there, done that" about recording instruments in a room or is cut-and-pasting Hubbie's guitar played through ProTools better/cheaper to her ears?

I dunno, but in any case, most of Native Invader sounds as shitty and gross as American Doll Posse to my ears.

For the record, Tori is still an incredible songwriter and I would enjoy way more of these songs if they didn't sound like soulless corny shit. I even enjoy "Benjamin" if I focus really hard and imagine it being played by human beings.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I had a super weird moment when I was driving recently and some Native Invader tracks came on. They sounded a lot better in the rental car than they did in my headphones or how I listen to them at home, particular "Up The Creek" (for the first time the vocals didn't sound like they lived in different rooms... )

I dunno what to make of that - but a (not great) car speaker system made it sound a hell of a lot better.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I finally got a new record player to replace my old one. I haven't listened to the Native Invader vinyl in quite some time and I was really impressed with how great it sounded.

Yes - NI sounds a lot better for me on my car stereo and on my Bose Soundbar than on my headphones for sure. Reindeer King has amazing background vocals and strings and other background effects.

Sometimes I wonder if Tori is rushed towards the end of making albums and does a quick production job. Like with NI she said the songs came quickly toward the end as her mother was ill/on her road trip - and maybe she is just glad that she had the muses visit - but spends little time on final production? I do like most of the production on NI though personally...

... I am thrilled that Tori released Reindeer King, Climb, Bats, Mary's Eyes etc together on a studio album - all are incredible. I am hoping the next album will have every song produced so well as those.
    Last edited by Beelust; 11-08-2018 at 11:39 PM.
    Robbing the muse...

Quote Originally Posted by Ime Achoo Dooa View Post
    This is exactly it. Reindeer King sounds okay but hoo boy it's all downhill from there. I would say the production falls into the same pitfalls as have plagued Mark, er, "Produced by: Tori Amos" forever now: vocals too upfront, the instrumentation melting into a murky morass of flat AOR nothingness. The entire album sound likes a shitty 96kbs MP3 and it really blows. Imagine if Cloud Riders had the same warmth as Suede. As it is, not a single component of this track sounds like it was recorded in an actual room. It's a brickwalled blast of sodium and fake processed cheese. Does Tori (as a producer) think "been there, done that" about recording instruments in a room or is cut-and-pasting Hubbie's guitar played through ProTools better/cheaper to her ears?

I dunno, but in any case, most of Native Invader sounds as shitty and gross as American Doll Posse to my ears.
    I have to disagree. While the production in NI is questionable at times (chocolate song, wings, up the creek), there are some amazing soundscapes, i.e. wildwood, broken arrow, reindeer king. This album is a farcry better than ADP in both production and content. I can hardly stand Tori's vocals on ADP, MWG, and AATS. Her faux twang wanna-be rocker voice is so strained, dry, and just plain weird it's mostly intolerable. I never thought Tori would come back as strong as she has with both UG and NI. Granted the production in cheesy on NI at times, she is producing albums with little or no backing from labels. I dont know. I'm really happy with NI as a whole.

I agree that it’s uneven. Broken Arrow to me is one of the worst produced. It lacks the lushness and warmth that it deserves. I feel like the production should be similar to that of Scarlet’s Walk the song for example. And I just find the drums at the end so cringe worthy, knowing there’s no actual drummer behind them. Programmed drums should be reserved for electronic sounding songs, but the acoustic aesthetic which I feel she is going for a lot on UG and NI should be real players.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakefrompele View Post
    she is producing albums with little or no backing from labels. I dont know. I'm really happy with NI as a whole.
    But she owns a studio (where she's recorded all her albums since Choirgirl) and can no doubt afford to hire a couple musicians beyond Mark and Tash. She just doesn't want to, and her recorded output suffers greatly for it. This implies she's kinda checked out from ever hoping to have a "relevant" album again (which I think she's more than capable of, but she won't even perform new songs without backing tracks FFS) and is doing it because making forgettable albums and touring them is what aging rock stars do. Native Invader could have been fantastic, but not even a middling feminist legacy score from Pitchfork etc. or interview talking point respite from Cheeto Hitler will change the fact her albums sound like inert slabs of muzak.

In short (and apologies for the throwback Fori posting), she blew it on Native Invader. There's a great album in there somewhere.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    I think she even admitted this was a rushed album, that she put together in one month because the songs wouldn't come (reason why the lyrics of Bang are absent from the booklet: she wrote them after the booklet was sent to print). I think the programmed instruments, the uneven production and the solo tour are all due to a lack of time.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun