Page 118 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118
Results 1,756 to 1,766 of 1766

Thread: Native Invader: your reviews and impressions

Benjamin is political ADP songs done right.

ETA: and it has an easy quirkiness from early Tori. It is not forced. I can picture 92-96 Tori singing about science ninjas.
    Last edited by tolotti_; 12-19-2017 at 11:34 PM.
    I will be safe in my frame.

Benjamin is good !!! Didn't really like it at first but I kind of see it as the Happy Phantom of the album, in the sense that it's more poppy and quirky

Broken Arrow and Bang are the best thing on this album

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    I don't personally have any issues with Benjamin, though I wish she'd played it solo once or twice. I know @ebby hate it though.
    It's true - I'm not overly gone on Benjamin. It's umm, gives me "Goth Teenager writing a Dramatic song that reference Politics and Science because they are Smart but also Sad" vibes.

There's something about the flow of that song that just doesn't work for me.

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Goth Teenager writing a Dramatic song
    Always down for this tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by toriMODE View Post
    At first Benjamin was too Kate Bush for me, but I've come to love it.
    It was actually the first Tori Amos song where I heard Kate Bush influence (I've always thought they're totally distinctive artists, despite what press says about Tori). And I thought: that's so fresh! I love final "tell me when" high notes. The lyrics are spot on, we need scientists and facts based information now more then ever. And like the whole album, this is Amos family band done right (but it could go so wrong like GRP)

Like I said earlier this year, I don't hear Kate at all in Benjamin: I hear Elton John. It has that gospel rock-style piano, which is not something I associate with Kate. I really like the song - it's playful and pretty.

specifically, I mean her vocals in Benjamin.

btw Cloud Riders is still soothing and relaxing as it was this summer - I was listening to it intensely on some Sardinian beach in July and now it bring back the Italian sun for me.

gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Not sure where best to post this: I just got notice from Pledge Music that my NI order (the package that include the signed vinyl and other stuff) won't ship until the end of January.

gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    Like I said earlier this year, I don't hear Kate at all in Benjamin: I hear Elton John. It has that gospel rock-style piano, which is not something I associate with Kate. I really like the song - it's playful and pretty.
    I wouldn't have caught it on my own, but you're right Nancy, there's some Elton in there for sure!

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    Not sure where best to post this: I just got notice from Pledge Music that my NI order (the package that include the signed vinyl and other stuff) won't ship until the end of January.
    The weird thing is that I received it too, but I have never ordered a vinyl. So I don't know if I'm taking advantage of some mistake if I use the discount code.

PledgeMusic surprised me in negative this time, probably because of how the Tori team handled the whole thing. Poor contents in the access pass (not even all the videos and the CR video was put on late, no bonus material like backstage pictures or a bonus track... Sarah Slean had handled this much better - she gave backstage video and photo and bonus material to download - except that when I received the CD there was some glue on the back of the cd itself, so it doesn't work. But you know, that at least included a digital download! With NI we didn't get that either), late shipping and the tourbook arrived even later on a separate shipping, poorly packaged (the courier obviously didn't know what was inside and bent it).

But I don't know, I feel I'm really not lucky with online orders lately. I'm always complaining, maybe it's me. But maybe if people cared about not shipping me broken or faulty stuff, or didn't make me pay to get next to nothing, I'd be happier.
    The world is just being so disappointing.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I could take it or leave it. I let it play through most of the time but it’s not a favorite. I kind of feel the same way about Wildwood. The big surprise for me was Bats, which I felt went nowhere at first but now I love it.
    I don't hate Benjamin, it just doesn't do anything for me. So I skip it every time.
    But Bats is just a hidden gem. It's not an immediate song the way Bang is, but I still loved it since minute one and it keeps on surprising me!