Page 118 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120 LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 1797

Thread: Native Invader: your reviews and impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I still can't believe this album happened. I mean, Night of Hunters was pretty good, Unrepentant Geraldines was largely hailed as a return to form, at least to the extent to which we could expect at that point in her career. And then bam, 90s quality record.
    Yes yes yes. Completely agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I still can't believe this album happened. I mean, Night of Hunters was pretty good, Unrepentant Geraldines was largely hailed as a return to form, at least to the extent to which we could expect at that point in her career. And then bam, 90s quality record.
    I just hope she can really keep the quality up now! She's left me wanting more. It's such a pleasure wanting to keep going back to the album. Reindeer King pulls me in every time and then the album flows so beautifully that I have to listen to it all.

Quote Originally Posted by gettotexas View Post
    I just hope she can really keep the quality up now! She's left me wanting more. It's such a pleasure wanting to keep going back to the album. Reindeer King pulls me in every time and then the album flows so beautifully that I have to listen to it all.
    I never skip songs from this album because I don't like them. If I skip a song, it's only because I'm not in the mood for it at the moment.
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

Quote Originally Posted by John's Face View Post
    I never skip songs from this album because I don't like them. If I skip a song, it's only because I'm not in the mood for it at the moment.
    Totally get that. The one I'm not always in the mood for is Breakaway. I think the first tracks put me into a certain mindset that Breakaway pulls me out of a bit. I think I may have preferred Climb and Breakaway swapped round in the sequencing in fact. But otherwise I can't fault the sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by gettotexas View Post
    Totally get that. The one I'm not always in the mood for is Breakaway. I think the first tracks put me into a certain mindset that Breakaway pulls me out of a bit. I think I may have preferred Climb and Breakaway swapped round in the sequencing in fact. But otherwise I can't fault the sequence.
    I skip Chocolate Song occasionally. It's between Wildwood and Bang, which are two songs I absolutely love, but "I don't hate you" Chocolate Song. I just wish you in another spot on the album. Just don't know where?

I like putting Chocolate Song after Breakaway. I like the transition from the piano only ballad into the radio beeps and quiet vocal intro of Chocolate Song. Then Wildwood, then Bang.

Reindeer King
    Wings
    Broken Arrow
    Cloud Riders
    Up The Creek
    Breakaway
    Chocolate Song
    Wildwood
    Bang
    Climb
    Bats
    Benjamin
    Mary's Eyes
    Robbing the muse...

Sweet

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    ^ I enjoyed that. Even the parts that didn't match the music, it worked as a montage of iconic video moments.

They also did one for, of all things, That's What I Like Mick, but I'm afraid to watch that.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    These Tori quotes about Reindeer King provide an excellent reference point for how thoughtfully constructed the album really is. There's no Tori dust in them whatsoever; the observations give real depth and insight to the song, and help me appreciate it in a whole new light. Man I wish this album had gotten the critical acclaim, recognition and sales that it deserved.

Nice quotes. Enjoyed that. Ty
    "this way, that way, i am of two minds" -sappho
    http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/sappho/index.htm

I still haven't warmed up to this album and think it ranks alongside ADP in terms of shitty production. Climb, Bang, and Wildwood are the only songs that still stand out to me a year later, and curses upon Tori for never performing the latter two solo sans backing track. *sigh*

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    There's maybe 2 tracks that I would rank ADP level production, and the rest sounds pretty damn good to me. This and AATS are the only decently produced albums after SLG ((((imo)))) And only one (ONE!!) track on ADP sounded halfway decent and that was Father's Son. The rest were like unfinished demos.

ETA: Reindeer King is an unfortunate casualty of the loudness war, I will admit -- it sounds fine on headphones, but I think it's more compressed than the other tracks because it gets super distorted on crappier speakers.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 07-22-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ime Achoo Dooa View Post
    I still haven't warmed up to this album and think it ranks alongside ADP in terms of shitty production.
    Has you mind been divided from your soul? At least you like 3 songs!

Can you explain what you mean about the production? Or are you just meaning the content and feel / sound of the album - like she should have made it sound warmer or dreamier or more magical with production changes, but to you it falls flat? That is how I feel about ADP for example. If she had produced ADP like the two b-sides Dragon and Smokey Joe - ADP would be among her best works.

Just curious as Reindeer King is tops in terms of Tori production for me - I find NI to be her best produced album in years. I feel like Native Invader is it's own little world with a cohesive sound and flow - like Tori's best albums. It sounds great on earbuds, on my regular home speakers, and in the car.

RE: ADP - I listened to Beauty of Speed the other day and it was so disappointing to hear after listening to the sound of NI.
    Robbing the muse...

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    Imho it's mostly Up the Creek that could benefit from a richer arrangement, and the piano solo in the bridge is faaar to low in volume, considering that it's the main voice in that part.
    What she needed to produce better on this record it's her vocals. I love NI, but her vocals are very weak, even if sweet. And the metrics. It's quite evident that she stuffed some lyrics in the songs even if they weren't the best metric fit.
    Last edited by Bloody Grace; 07-22-2018 at 05:46 PM.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

I think I've figured out why NI isn't resonating for me.

Many of the songs aren't about personal relationships or internal conflict. They are about global warming, politics, Trump, Putin, peace accords, "climate science," etc. Subjects outside of ourselves that could, in theory, be fixed.

I tend to gravitate towards music that speaks to my emotional core. The part of me that I just can't define in scientific terms.

Not that the issues she sings about on NI aren't important, and I'm sure they are personal to some people. It's just not something I would ever click "play" on because it doesn't speak to my heart. It speaks to my mind.

Mary's Eyes should be an exception, but for some reason, it also don't resonate. Maybe because it's about such a specific situation I have heard so many details about, I just can't seem to find my own personal way in (Ribbons Undone has the same effect).
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble