Page 84 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 1709

Thread: Native Invader: your reviews and impressions

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I'm actually surprised at the lukewarm reception to Mary's Eyes. It may not be your typical Tori ballad, but it's still a heartbreaking song that fits alongside things like Toast and The Beekeeper. I love that she was able to write something that sounds so urgent and hopeful about such a devastating situation. My grandmother has advanced Alzheimer's and while it's obviously not the same, the lines "what's behind Mary's eyes?" and "hymns locked in her memory" really hit me.
    100%.

Mary's Eyes is absolutely stunning, imo. It's elegant and beautiful, the vocal is heartfelt and emotional in a genuine way, not in an affected way. It occupies the same atmospheric space as Reindeer King for me. It's just beautiful.

Climb gives me American Life vibes. Not the heavy electronic AL stuff, but Nothing Fails / Love Profusion / Intervention etc

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Thank you! They're probably random, though. While I really like Choirgirl's alternative tracklist and find it so meaningful that it could actually have been done on purpose, this ones just don't seem likely.
    Someone already made a Spotify playlist with the Booklet tracklist
    https://open.spotify.com/album/6meXSKHVhOQVPzo4ZEtZWw

I have never heard the alternative tracklist of Choirgirl - you've made me curious now! Is it this one?
    1. Pandora's Aquarium
    2. Liquid Diamonds
    3. Northern Lad
    4. iieee
    5. Spark
    6. Black-Dove (January)
    7. Jackie's Strength
    8. Hotel
    9. She's Your Cocaine
    10. Raspberry Swirl
    11. Cruel
    12. Playboy Mommy

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by sk81 View Post

I have never heard the alternative tracklist of Choirgirl - you've made me curious now! Is it this one?
    1. Pandora's Aquarium
    2. Liquid Diamonds
    3. Northern Lad
    4. iieee
    5. Spark
    6. Black-Dove (January)
    7. Jackie's Strength
    8. Hotel
    9. She's Your Cocaine
    10. Raspberry Swirl
    11. Cruel
    12. Playboy Mommy
    That's the one. Honestly, I know that it's been said that this tracklisting probably came about by accident, while Tori was still figuring out the track order, but this is the definitive way to listen to Choirgirl for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    That's the one. Honestly, I know that it's been said that this tracklisting probably came about by accident, while Tori was still figuring out the track order, but this is the definitive way to listen to Choirgirl for me.
    I couldn't disagree more. I can't listen to Choirgirl in any other order than how it is on the CD.
    ~just an underwater thing~

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    Then I know what my next playlist will be!

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Don't you think it sound similarly to Darkest Hour and HIIS? Because to me it does. But yes, I should listen to TLP in full before I judge. Maybe I will one day or another, I just don't feel the urge to, right now.

Anyway, by saying it was a leftover I did not mean to devalue Breakaway, by any means.
    I totally agree! I don't necessarily think it sounds like the songs in the musical itself, but when you put it next to Tori's version of Highness in the Sky or Darkest Hour it has the same, for lack of a better word, vibe.

It's lovely but not sure it fits in NI for me.

If anything, Breakaway takes me back to the solo piano songs / performances of her early career, and particularly some of her covers. I'm not sure why this is, I'm not good at analysing music, but that's the feeling this song gives me. It has fast become my second favourite on the album, after Reindeer King.

Breakaway, especially thematically, IS the album for me. I can't imagine it without it.

spring summer fall winter endlesswant's Avatar
    I just had to stop everything i was doing for the evening to sit and listen to the entire album. I had it on as background noise/ housework music. The music and lyrics took me over and now im hypnotized AGAIN. I personally DO NOT see the album as overly political. I know many of the lyrics are probably intended to be, but to me Native Invader can be so may things and have so many meanings. There is a spiritual restlessness to the lyrics that stir something inside of me...an invasion . hahaha. im such a nerd. I did like ADP and AATS and UG. However, this album wow.
    Last edited by endlesswant; 09-14-2017 at 01:54 AM. Reason: DO NOT

Quote Originally Posted by sk81 View Post

1. Pandora's Aquarium
    2. Liquid Diamonds
    3. Northern Lad
    4. iieee
    5. Spark
    6. Black-Dove (January)
    7. Jackie's Strength
    8. Hotel
    9. She's Your Cocaine
    10. Raspberry Swirl
    11. Cruel
    12. Playboy Mommy
    Yes, that's the alternate tracklist. It works perfectly for me, I have trouble thinking it's totally random, because it really does have a clear significance. It starts from the first song she wrote for the album, that introduce the theme of loss. Then Liquid Diamonds kicks in, she dove in (to the sea, the subconsciuos) and now she's underwater. On NL the water becomes rain and she reflects on how she can't make things work because she's just trying to be something she's not, so the loss concerns integrity, first and foremorst. Then there are the two miscarriage songs, Black Dove suggests a ghost-like girl (child?) that lives on the other side of the galaxy. Jackie and Hotel are thematically tied, since they're about her marriage and with the latter it starts the edgier/electronic sequence. Hotel/Cocaine/Rasberry all have some sexual references and some kind of foaming anger, as well as Cruel, which slows the rythm a bit, though. And Playboy Mommy closes everything perfectly, coming full circle.
    Last edited by Carey; 09-14-2017 at 02:07 AM.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell. I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days."

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Wow Carey. That's pretty good!

I have heard of doing that before, but never felt any need to try listening to the album that way. I almost never listen to whole albums these days -- (would have listened to UG so much more if GRP, Rose Dover, and Invisible Boy weren't on it, ruining for me what would otherwise be a pretty fantastic run of songs.) I am listening to Native Invader as an album, though... exploring all of the songs fairly equally at this point. I'm finding it to be a fairly singular work. It's totally her and at the same time quite different than anything else she's done.

Hi everyone. While we're on the topic of alternate tracklistings, wasn't there one for UTP too? I'm quite sure I read about this here but couldn't find it and, if I remember correctly, it includes Honey.

BTW, I like the booklet order of UG. It seems to flow more naturally than the original. I'll try the ones for NI.

The one for FTCGH is not bad, too. I think this is also where someone posted an analysis (songwriting style shift and progression from BFP into FTCGH) of that order.
    Past a shooting star

thirst world problems Octopussy's Avatar
    The one for UTP started with

PGY
    God
    Icicle
    Space Dog

And I don't remember the rest. It does include Honey. The only place it existed was an early press release.

One of the alt Earthquakes has the title track between China and Learher, with Flying Dutchman last.