Page 28 of 57 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 RuPaul's Drag Race, Yaass

Maybe I watch this show too much, cuz I think I have a projected narrative...

Miz Cracker will win, but it'll be a strong top 3 with either Blair or Aquafina, and Monique or Mayhem.

Mayhem will be the underdog/self-sabotage story of the season.

Vixen will stick around on account of her shit-stirring abilities.

Eureka and Vixen will be an ongoing feud until they lip sync together.

Kameron or Asia will be eliminated for seemingly no reason (too relaxed, not dramatic enough)

Monet, Eureka, Asia and Kameron are closest to elimination as it stands.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 04-15-2018 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    Maybe I watch this show too much, cuz I think I have a projected narrative...

Miz Cracker will win, but it'll be a strong top 3 with either Blair or Aquafina, and Monique or Mayhem.

Mayhem will be the underdog/self-sabotage story of the season.

Vixen will stick around on account of her shit-stirring abilities.

Eureka and Vixen will be an ongoing feud until they lip sync together.

Kameron or Asia will be eliminated for seemingly no reason (too relaxed, not dramatic enough)

Monet, Eureka, Asia and Kameron are closest to elimination as it stands.
    If Cracker wins, I'll be more than fine with that. Even though I didn't get all the praise this last episode (I thought she'd be bottom), she is a strong contender. I love her personality and she servers clever looks and witty banter.
    And as long as Aquaria doesn't pull a Valentina, she'll make the top as well (she's also showing some growth as a person, so that's always good for the crown).
    And I hope Blair will make it too, she's amazing.
    That would make it a very young top 3: the future of drag!

Kameron: amazing runways but she's practically invisible. If next week is an acting/dancing challenge or a snatch game, I don't see her doing well.
    Monique: lots of noise but so far I'm not really that impressed.
    Eureka vs Vixen: that was one of the weirdest arguments ever...
    Mayhem: strong looks, but too demure. Sometimes a bit too much like Kennedy Davenport, with the contacts, and that's working against her (for me personally).
    post28!

Ugh, I have some serious problems with last episode.
    The judges are always "think about yourself, this is a competition, not RuPaul Best Friend Race"... And they saved Asia, who went to the runway with a swimsuit with twelve fluffy balls. Wtf. Yes, she's cute and sweet and so generous with everybody, but the judges just threw away twelve years of advices.
    Vixen and Eureka... I don't know, I think they're just trying to make some noise so people can still talk about them. Truth is, both are so boring and have nothing new to offer. Vixen appeared saying she makes political drag, but all she does is fighting about stupid things. I mean: you have the chance to make a dress about climate change AND THATS THE POLITICAL DRAG YOU CREATED? Vixen, sashay away. And Eureka is boring, she's always doing the same thing.
    Monique would be awesome if her style and talent were as grand as her mouth.
    Cracker and Blair are my favorite ones this season. Aquaria is ok. It's really good the pseudo-conflict between Cracker and Aquaria was left behind in the first episode, because it was boring AF.
    And Kameron... Her looks are impressive, really. The winter queen this season? AMAZING. But she's being fucked up by edition IMO. I can't tell if she's really talented or she just has an incredible collection of dresses.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJane View Post
    Did England really used to have American accents?
    This is a subject I find interesting, and I found last week's episode frustrating because Monet was pretty much correct, even though what she was saying seems to defy historical logic. No-one knows exactly what people sounded like before recorded media, but there are ways of making an educated guess. The linguist David Crystal has worked alongside Shakespeare's Globe to build an estimation of how the original players in Shakespeare's company would have sounded, an accent that's become known as 'Original Pronunciation', or OP for short. Shakespeare was writing at a time of mass emigration to the Americas, so studying how his contemporaries spoke can give us a clue to how the first European Americans may have sounded.

The most immediate difference between a standard London accent in the early 17th century and most of the current southern-English accents is the rhotic 'r'. Someone who uses a rhotic 'r' will pronounce the 'r' sound at the end of a word if the following word also begins with a vowel. So 'water ice' (example courtesy of Google) is pronounced with the 'r' sound at the end of 'water'. I have a modern southern English accent with a light splashing of Hampshire, so my accent is non-rhotic. Therefore if I say 'water ice' I pronounce the first word more like 'war-ta'. I think nearly all North American accents are rhotic, particularly in the southern states, and most Northern English and Scottish accents are also rhotic. So the question is where do North Americans get their rhotic accents from? There is an Irish influence in some places I believe, but also the fact that the migrants settling from England at that time also had rhotic accents.

Shakespeare's plays are useful in that the text can tell linguists a lot about how people spoke at the time. There are certain rhyming couplets that only work in certain (rhotic) speaking patterns, and in fact there are some jokes and puns that are revealed only when delivered in Original Pronunciation. I once saw a performance of Romeo and Juliet in Original Pronunciation and it was quite interesting. To my young ears the actors sounded a mixture of West Country (Cornwall, Devon), cod-Irish and Canadian. You could hear a definite hint of a North American accent in there somewhere.

We often think of all British monarchs speaking in a certain way, namely 'Queen's English', but evidence suggests that Elizabeth I would have spoken with this same accent, as I don't believe there's any indication that accent was tied in with social class in the way it is now as early as the 16th/17th century. What now has become known as RP or - even more horribly - as 'Standard English' evolved much later, during the 18th and 19th centuries. Someone may correct me on this but I believe the consensus is that the accent developed from the German aristocrats who came over to England after the ascension of George I in 1714. The upper crusts of society then spoke a mixture of German and English; vowels were flattened and the rhotic 'r' disappeared. Those wanting to emulate the aristocracy adopted this manner of speaking and what Americans often think of as a 'British accent' came into being. This obviously didn't happen in North America and the accents diverged down different paths.

I find it fascinating how history impacts on the way that people speak. There are still similarities between some Northern Irish dialects and some Liverpudlian ones, because of the close history between the two ports. It was funny watching Monet try to explain what she meant and getting nowhere. I did realise that I like it when Drag Race and linguistics collide.

Well that just blew my mind. When Monet tried to explain, I figured there had to be something to it because it's just too odd to be completely made up.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Continuing the tangent, I love David Crystal and his (ridiculously hot) son Ben talking about Original Pronunciation:

That video is great ebby. I was going to link to it in my post but had to skip it because work got busy. The production of R&J they talk about is the one I saw with my school when I was about 15.

And I second the Ben Crystal thirst.

When I was in tenth grade we listened to audio of a talk given by someone on this subject (I wish I remember her name). It talked about how the “British accent” as we know it was a more recent development and that Shakespeare probably sounded better read with a more American accent, as the way vowels and Rs were pronounced were probably closer to the OP. I think the whole point of listening to that talk is because we were reading Shakespeare in class at the time. When Monet brought it up I knew she was partially correct, she just didn’t know why (and to be fair I couldn’t have explained it much better).

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    When I was growing up learning English, I once had to memorize sonnet 116;
    https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/...nds-sonnet-116
    That sonnet teaches you how they pronounced "love" back in the day; it rhymed with "remove" and "prove"! Kind of mindblowing how very static the written language has been over the centuries, that sonnet is very readable nowadays (in Dutch you can barely read what was written only forty years ago =S).
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    That sonnet teaches you how they pronounced "love" back in the day; it rhymed with "remove" and "prove"! Kind of mindblowing how very static the written language has been over the centuries, that sonnet is very readable nowadays (in Dutch you can barely read what was written only forty years ago =S).
    Yes you can read quite far back in English. I think it's informed quite a bit of how the English see themselves; you have Shakespeare and his contemporaries and the King James Bible written in the same vernacular. It is seen as a sort of template language (people call it 'Old English', inaccurately), when actually it was shifting just as quickly as society was. You go back only a couple of centuries more and English is pretty indecipherable unless you have training. The language shifted so much up until about the 13th century, I think.

That's interesting about Dutch. Of course at the other extreme are the French, who do not allow any changes unless approved by committee.

Aquaria is insufferable. That is all.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Quote Originally Posted by SloppyJane View Post
    A few thoughts...

What was that Untucked argument even about? I rewound it several times and still can't figure out how it started.

Who's the hot PA that comes in with the clipboard? And how can they trust that the queens won't devour him whole?

Aquafina™ was the clear winner, but something that I just found out is that many of the queens' looks aren't self-designed. For example, Aquaria's first look was made by someone else. Same w/ the Asia O'Hara tweety bird dress. Seems unfair to be judging stuff created by fashion designers against garments queens designed themselves, no?

I wonder if the "Miss Vangie!" workroom banter wasn't added back in after it turned into a meme. I can't imagine they could have predicted that.

I don't think Dusty had a chance with that lip-sync song choice.

Did England really used to have American accents?
    They only had to make one outfit from scratch and just accessorize the other two.
    My face screams without an emotion

Thoughts on the Robbie Turner Uber scandal??

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Such Good Television! Day-um.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

i did not agree with who went home. she should not have even been in the bottom 2. she should have been safe. her outfit was pretty good. and she did pretty good in the acting challenge. and her her lsfyl was good.