Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 RuPaul's Drag Race

Why the hell didn't they lip-sync to a Cher song?
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    That, plus I'm 99% sure they already did Groove is in the Heart before.

That lip sync was surprisingly even.

Long-time Lurker
    I felt like even though they both danced great and knew all the lyrics well, Asia was a step above because she seemed so connected with the judges the entire time, and you saw joy come through in her performance. The Vixen had some impressive moments, but it seemed to me she was a bit more "in her own head" and thinking of what to do next than really connecting with those who were watching her perform.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    That lip sync was pretty close. I could have gone either way with it. I'm sure they were all happy to see her off, tho. lol
    I would've thrown something through my TV set just like that one guy during a Trump campaign speech if Vixen won that lip synch.

And race has FUCK ALL to do with it. Ugh, Billboard had a recent article alluding to people not liking the Vixen because racism. No, it's because she was a vapid fucking cunt.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Seriously, she said the other black queens "betrayed" her because they gave her a bad critique. She shoulda been gone weeks ago... lashing out and internalizing everything and making it racial. She just wasn't very good AND she was flat out nasty (Monet's word) to someone who didn't deserve it. I'm scared to read all the tumblr/twitter clapbacks from people just as angry and miserable as Vixen herself... so I won't lol.

+10000 points to Asia for being so good and giving Vixen a gentle and insightful talk. Hopefully V left with some resolution.

People failing to have any empathy towards the Vixen is a race thing. I always think of season 2, where Raven was, like, incredibly bitter, inflammatory and mean, but still conspicuously beloved.

I think there's a subgroup of social justice types (radlibs) that can encourage marginalized people to be actively abrasive for no reason, as though that in itself is an act of any political worth, and I think a lot of people fall victim to that encouragement. But I kind of love this season for both 1) showing why that attitude is not a good thing and 2) continuing to have compassion towards Vixen in the edit and commentary, backing her on the good points she makes, and even having a teaching, transformative-justice-esque moment with Asia. Neither Asia or Monet suffer Vixen when she's in the wrong, but neither of them are accusing her of "making everything racial" either, because everything is racial -- viewers should take their lead, probably. Vixen's anger is legitimate, just misdirected; the problem isn't Eureka, but society.

She also killed that lip sync tbh, but nobody wins their third.
    Last edited by Andrew; 05-15-2018 at 07:10 PM.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    First off, I don't pay attention to online/social media reaction for Drag Race. It seems like a volatile, callous place to get lost in honestly. And that goes for much of the internet, not just drag race fan communities. I probably didn't like Raven's behavior just as much as I didn't like Phi Phi's on S4. It was a long time ago at this point and I don't recall. Some queens are made out to be the villains and are portrayed in a light that they aren't supposed to be liked. Sometimes a spade is really just a spade. But I suppose EVERYTHING comes down to race. Laganja Astranja whatever from a few seasons back was insufferable, but she was white so I guess no one ever talks about that ever?

If anyone's to blame, it's probably the producers themselves for creating environments and editing the show to paint the Vixen as an "angry black woman" stereotype. They're the ones that are manipulating reactions.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 05-14-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Laganja was insufferable but she was never mean or picking fights like this, right? The Vixen annoyed the living fuck out of me, and resorted to the race card and the blame game everytime she underperformed. It was such an obvious defence mechanism that it wasn't even funny in the 'drama' kind of way anymore. Of all the seasons, I never disliked a queen as much as her...

Was her anger misdirected? Probably, and I get that from my position it's hard to understand, but that didn't make it any less ugly in the context of this competition. There were many moments, even given to her by other wiser queens who could see what was going on, to take a step back and think for a second and she seemed to be incapable of that or simply not willing to cause the bad-guy act will probably be easier to maintain that looking in the mirror.

So no, I feel that you are not fit to be the next drag superstar and represent this title if you are so aggresive and you're not able (yet) to understand yourself enough to keep you from unfairly lashing out with such venom.
    post28!

I thought that maybe The Vixen left the show having learned a lesson about misdirected anger thanks to Asia's help, but it seems she doesn't really get it. On Watcha Packin'? she reveals that there's still a ton of petty bitterness underneath the surface and basically calls Eureka fake. But just because you once fought with someone doesn't mean you can't learn more about them and develop a healthier relationship with them. Eureka tried hard to be the bigger person and she approached Eureka with compassion once she understood that her lashing out was coming from a place of insecurity and a lifelong history of institutionalized racism. It echoes what Asia said about showing strength in different, non-angry ways. But The Vixen insists on interpreting Eureka's conscious efforts to be nice to her as "fake", and that's really sad. Healing can sometimes take a long time, but I hope it happens for her sooner rather than later.

My biggest issue with the Vixen isn't necessarily that she's inherently mean, it's that she blames the reaction to her meanness on racism and privilege.

She does the same thing with her drag. She throws on a lazy, unpolished outfit and then says stuff like this:

I think that a lot of white contestants, they've gotten away with things that I didn't, you know? Like being a crafty queen, or being ... or you know, I think that if someone like Milk made a dress entirely out of hats, it would have been a lot better received, and there would be no question of the polish or the finish, it would just be seen as art.

It's textbook delusion. And it's dangerous to those who actually experiences the effects of true racism and white privilege because it makes it seem like those very real issues may only be in their heads.
    Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

I think we should be cautious on assessing how much "true racism" the Vixen is experiencing. Both on and off the show.

^ I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    I think we should be cautious on assessing how much "true racism" the Vixen is experiencing. Both on and off the show.
    This this this this this.
    Sometimes I think the so-called "experts" actually are experts.