Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Thread: 2018 RuPaul's Drag Race

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perky Compson View Post
    If it’s a lip sync tournament, I can see a scenario where I’m totally happy with Kameron winning, I should say. I appreciate that despite going into the the bottom two last week knowing the stats were stacked against her she still gave it 100%, and that knowing that again she went into the top four with the same grit and tenacity as ever. She’s a workhorse queen, and that’s a trait I really admire. Plus she was the clear winner of the American challenge this week imo. My roommates and I were watching and my roommate, who doesn’t even like Kameron, looked at me and went “holy shit, they CANNOT eliminate her tonight” after that.

Barring something like a rightfully demolished lip sync tournament I wouldn’t want Kameron to win, but I honestly can’t pick of the others who I like best.
    Girl can sang! Kameron definitely won that last episode.
    Miss Vanjieeee. Miss Vanjiee. ..Miss Van..

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    I loved the season too, but you’d be happy with Kameron winning?

It would be so appropriate in Trump’s America for a stereotypically attractive muscular white guy to be rewarded with the crown for being “hot” over all the incredibly talented and creative queens of color that graced this season. There has never been anyone less deserving of that top 4 spot in the history of this show.

some relevant comments from Asia on this topic:

That's messed up. The only black queen to have more than a million Instagram followers is Rupaul. And if you look up some of the thinner white queens they're not all that far behind Rupaul's total. I was shocked. Look up as many final 5 white queens as you can on instagram.. mostly thin and certainly not plus sized. Do the same for any of the black queens. That's just... wtf?

It also says something that Asia has the least amount of followers of the final four. And Eureka is the next least with an average of 4,000 likes a post.. but Kameron averages around 44,000 likes a post.
    Kameron could win this whole thing on the #teamKameron vote alone.

It's sad what the world see's as beauty and talent. THATS WHY I WANT THE BIG GIRL TO WIN NOW! Because I don't think Ru will have another opportunity to get a queen as everything as Eureka is after this season. There are always 3 thinner queens to the one plus-sized queen. And Eureka has it all. She can sew, she can paint, she can drop split and dance with the best of them. She's funny, she's personable, she can host/mc any club of any size or shape (some of those smaller stages are scary af in heels)..she'll wait until her entire meet and greet line is finished before going to do her last performance. She does nothing but praise the entire cast of whatever club of whatever city she is in.

If not Eureka then I guess this competition.. like so many other beauty/fashion/talent reality shows is just not the place for big girls to win. Show up and make a name for themselves, sure. But never win. 10 seasons, 3 All Stars.. and all that information about Instagram followers.. that's my evidence. And it's the rule for every plus-sized queen of any ethnicity.
    Last edited by Volta; 06-19-2018 at 03:06 AM.

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    I feel like - and this is obviously not the case - lip syncing should be Drag 101. Every contestant on this show should be professionals at that, if nothing else. Giving Kameron credit because that's literally the only thing she's been consistently good at is not worthy of winning $100,000. I'm sorry. He's not even that hot anyway, as if that should have anything to do with him being in the top 4, which it probably does. I find him vain, one-sided, and not at all interesting. A whole season in and all I know about him is he's obsessed with being muscular to find his self-worth and he's afraid of straight men. Girl, bye. You have no business being top 4.

If this shit show of a season does nothing else, I hope it at least puts more of a focus and discussion on this whole pretty white girl fascination because this is honestly just getting ridiculous. This is RuPaul's popularity contest.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 06-19-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    If social media popularity is linked directly to narrow-mindedness in drag race fanbase is the question though, as social media in general has a LOT of work to do when it comes down to diversity - these are after all outlets mostly run by straight white men. A year or two back the social media totals of all contestants showed that some of queens of non-white ethnicity are very popular, at least some of them top 20 like Shangela (500k+), Latrice Royale (600k), Manila Luzon (750k+) and Bianca, Jujubee and Raja having way more followers than that ranking in the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Volta View Post
    It's time for a big girl.
    I want the big girl to win.
    It's time for a big girl to take the trophy.
    THATS WHY I WANT THE BIG GIRL TO WIN NOW!
    Lol I wonder if you said that more often than I said I liked Cracker.
    Eureka would say; "Gurl, we got you. You want a big gurl to win".
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Let's not miss the fact that a huge part, if not the majority of the Drag Race audience these days is made up of young straight girls. I don't think it's a stretch to say that to that particular audience segment, someone who is a muscular man by day and a fairy princess by night is a much bigger draw than someone like, idk, Eureka or Asia.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylon View Post
    Which one was Pandora Monsoon?
    Miss Cracker Hehehe. My nicknames may not be 100% accurate, but it was a running joke this season between myself and some of my friends that the show is running so long now that all queens could be composites of previous queens...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Let's not miss the fact that a huge part, if not the majority of the Drag Race audience these days is made up of young straight girls. I don't think it's a stretch to say that to that particular audience segment, someone who is a muscular man by day and a fairy princess by night is a much bigger draw than someone like, idk, Eureka or Asia.
    You just hit the nail on the head. And considering such statistics, people need to be patient and trust that change is going to come. Those little white girls are slowly but surely going to grow up to be more tolerant, accepting and open-minded thanks to shows like these that celebrate diversity. Granted, such change won't come overnight; it'll likely take decades. But already you have queens like Cynthia talking about how they see a shift in the make up of the crowds in their relatively conservative towns' bars. And even though another skinny white person may win this season, that doesn't mean queens like Monet and Monique didn't help broaden some people's minds.

Oh and one more thing... (HUGE DRAG RACE THAILAND SPOILER HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Miss Cracker Hehehe. My nicknames may not be 100% accurate, but it was a running joke this season between myself and some of my friends that the show is running so long now that all queens could be composites of previous queens...
    Yeah, I love you but those nicknames were a stretch.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    I was all ready to say I'd be fine with any of them winning, but after reading this thread.... I hope Asia wins. Because wtf is this racist shit? I've seen queens talk about this before, but I had never seen the hard evidence (followers, bookings, etc) -- I've been hearing about it since season 5 but it seems like it's only gotten worse as the show has gotten more popular and gained more of (hetero) audience.

Damn str8s. WTF.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Tough question. I would be very glad if Asia won this, she deserves it more than Kameron and Eureka imho, and as much as Aquaria at this point. However, I do think a queen winning should be based on their performance in that particular moment, not on whatever moral change we wish for in followers. I don't think it would do much good anyway. If you look at the past 9 winners, there has been a lot of diversity - well, at least over half of them wouldn't identify as "white" - and what good has come of it?

BeBe
    Tyra
    Raja
    Sharon
    Jinkx
    Bianca
    Violet
    Bob
    Sasha
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    If social media popularity is linked directly to narrow-mindedness in drag race fanbase is the question though, as social media in general has a LOT of work to do when it comes down to diversity - these are after all outlets mostly run by straight white men. A year or two back the social media totals of all contestants showed that some of queens of non-white ethnicity are very popular, at least some of them top 20 like Shangela (500k+), Latrice Royale (600k), Manila Luzon (750k+) and Bianca, Jujubee and Raja having way more followers than that ranking in the top 10.

Lol I wonder if you said that more often than I said I liked Cracker.
    Eureka would say; "Gurl, we got you. You want a big gurl to win".
    OMG. I'll stop. I promise no more BG talk from me.

Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I feel like - and this is obviously not the case - lip syncing should be Drag 101. Every contestant on this show should be professionals at that, if nothing else. Giving Kameron credit because that's literally the only thing she's been consistently good at is not worthy of winning $100,000. I'm sorry. He's not even that hot anyway, as if that should have anything to do with him being in the top 4, which it probably does. I find him vain, one-sided, and not at all interesting. A whole season in and all I know about him is he's obsessed with being muscular to find his self-worth and he's afraid of straight men. Girl, bye. You have no business being top 4.

If this shit show of a season does nothing else, I hope it at least puts more of a focus and discussion on this whole pretty white girl fascination because this is honestly just getting ridiculous. This is RuPaul's popularity contest.
    That's why I am fine with a Lip Sync Battle deciding this season. Because they've all been so strong in very different parts of drag. And some of the wins were so close like Michelle Visage said. Asia was very close to winning a couple more ((I think was her point in the final critique). I guess you could say that about Eureka, too, especially in snatch game.
    I want to see reveal after reveal!! Let the person with the most take it!
    What I think they all have in common is looks. These four queens serve face, body, and gowns that must cost more money than I'm ever going to know.

And I'm not hating on Kameron the person because, of course, on social media she/he seems like a very sweet person and often is praising the other top queens in the instagram stories. The four of them have become very close from my point of view. And I like that. I'm softening up and will be ok with whoever wins... even Kameron.

Has anyone seen any previews for the reunion? Someone on social media said they saw a preview and it gets really nasty with name calling and personal vendettas. And I am kind of surprised. I mean, MIss Vanjiee is there in the flesh. How can they act a fool in her presence?
    Last edited by Volta; Today at 05:20 AM.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    Rupaul: "All aboard the Bipolar Express!!"
    Cracker: ".....?? She said bipolar, I thought Vanjie was back"

Probably my favorite moment of the whole season.

Has anyone seen any previews for the reunion? Someone on social media said they saw a preview and it gets really nasty with name calling and personal vendettas. And I am kind of surprised. I mean, MIss Vanjiee is there in the flesh. How can they act a fool in her presence?
    VH1 has a 10-minute preview on their site (they do it every week actually): http://www.vh1.com/video-clips/6r34t...ueens-reunited